It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Next Time I Ride My Bike, I'll Be Drunk..... The Ticket Is Less

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Seriously, I was pulled over on my bike at 12:53 AM after fixing a blocked drain in a tenants apartment.

The officer had me remove tools and a knife from my belt, even the deadly tape measure I had clipped to a side pocket. I'm not sure if I could harm an armed and trained officer with a tape measure, but it had to be thrown to the ground.

I stood against the wall as I was searched, and answered all questions respectfully.
The officer almost seemed disappointed when I had no drugs and hadn't been drinking.

My name and address was ran through the computer, but no, totally clean with no wants or warrants. So now the cop is looking for something, anything.

I was charged under section 75 (5) of the Highway Traffic Act, NO HORN - BICYCLE...
The second charge is section 62 (17) of the Highway Traffic Act, IMPROPER BICYCLE LIGHTING...

$110.00 no horn.
$ 40.00 no rear reflector

$150.00 total fine, then I was told to pick up my stuff and go on my way.

My friend got nailed for being drunk on his bike and only paid a $40.00 dollar fine.:shk:
I think I'll buy a horn and reflector, then pick up a bottle of Scotch. And God help you if your on the road when this warrior hits the streets.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   
You were dressed as a commando weren't you? Just admit it, we all know you had the ninja mask on.

Yea, down in Florida they had a lights law on bikes to. I never heard about a horn before though. What are you supposed to put a tractor trailer horn on your bike?

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

If I had a ninja mask on they would have never seen me.....

I want to get a pink girly horn with tassels on it to bolt on the handle bars. At least I'll be within the stupid law.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Getting worse down there huh buddy?
My son would ride home from work at 2am and get the third degree..he had to buy proper lighting but the cops would still demand his name, where he worked blah, blah..
nothing but BS.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
If this was in the UK the cops would have been laughed all the way to the looney house

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

What was up that officer's @ss? Why not just give you a warning or suggestion to have the horn and lights put on the bike?

He must have had a bad day to just pick on person riding his bicycle.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
End of the month...looking to make his ticket quota.

Welcome to the machine my friend

[edit on 29-9-2009 by BlackOps719]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ROBL240
If this was in the UK the cops would have been laughed all the way to the looney house

You say that, but I'm pretty sure that sort of nonsense is their bread and butter these days!

Quotas and so on...

Organised crime? Naaaah, much too hard..

Man on a bike? Get 'im!

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Here is my method for getting out of paying tickets.

Always take it to court.

Call the court clerk and pospone your court date as many times as you can.

When you eventually go to court, the cop never shows, case dismissed.

It's worth it to save a $100.00 bucks. Not to mention your insurance going up.

Note....always stay on top of your court dates. If you miss it they WILL swear out a warrant for your arrest. And then you will be faced with court costs; net result....time wasted, no $$$ savings.

[edit on 29-9-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

How many times have you done this?

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
As many people on ATS know I'm very adept at dealing with police and the court system in Canada and the USA. Even today I spent 4 hours defending a landlord and part of an hour on the stand as a witness in another case.

It's a job.......:shk:

I could pull all the delay tactics, I could ask for a stay, request the court for more time to retain council, etc, etc, etc...
But I deal with the lawyers and judges on a regular basis and won't waste the time and resources of the legal system for $150.00.

This one will be paid even if the officer was looking for any charge she could find. And yes, I feel it was unjust and an end of the month ticket quota, or just one cop having a slow night. I won't be fighting this one.

I have three pending cases that need my attention that are far more important.
My involvement with the police, and the relationships I've developed is more valuable than the buck fifty and the repercussions of baiting an over zealous officer.

Yes, I'm a little more jaded now, and I feel hurt.
It's the way it goes sometimes.

Just a few weeks ago I had eight officers take me down during a bar fight in Winnipeg. Three people went to jail that night, but I wasn't one of them.
The police even drove me back to my hotel and returned my knife the next day without a problem.
(I always carry one, it's the greatest invention our species ever came up with)

It's gotta be a crappy job being a cop. I'm grateful for the job they do because society needs them, and I need them.
So again, I think I'll let this one go and just pay the tickets.:bnghd:

EDIT: My bad, I put a curse word in there that got me a #.
Sorry, I forget I'm on ATS sometimes.........

[edit on 29/9/2009 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder

I'm not sure if I could harm an armed and trained officer with a tape measure

I could!!!

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

Sounds about as messed up as the time my wife was pulled over by a policeman who was riding a bicycle. He claimed my wife didn't stop at a stop sign. It wasn't even an intersection, just a point where the road made a L shaped 90 degree turn.

To this day she's still mad that she actually stopped for the arm-waving loon on the bicycle. If she would have just accelerated to 30 mph he would have been left in the dust.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   
man thats just...a horn and lightning fee? what the...O__O
150$? yea next time just be drunk

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
150 sounds about right....it's not worth their trouble if they don't at least turn a Benjamin.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

Thats exactly what he is doing. If you live in an area that is usally safe of speeders, a respectable neighbourhood, he is most likley trying to get his quota. Kind of sad if you ask me.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
The simple fact there is a quota for tickets to be handed out is a giant load in my eyes. Almost seems like preventing crime isn't a goal at all.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by dbates

How dangerous was that?

She could have been seriously assaulted.

Women should never pull over for someone other than an obvious law enforcement agent.

She could have been killed.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I think I saw you on cops. Why didn't you mention the wife beater and the 8 ball?

Nevermind.

I used to ride my bike at night for fun. This was in the burbs in high school. It is exhilarating to have the whole road to yourself. I had the proper lighting and everything.

Cops constantly stopped me. Some of which eventually knew me by name. They were convinced I was doing something wrong. They even came to my school hassled me there. I protested of course.

Eventually I started messing with them. I would carry empty sandwich baggies with PBJ crumbs in them. Since I knew I wasn't breaking any laws, and I am a smart-ass, I even started back talking. I would follow the cops around with a video camera claiming I was an intern at Fox and needed some good footage for Cops. Dressing up was fun too. They probably thought I was mentally handicapped at one point. I would say things like "I heard there was a Peanutbutter and jelly operation at this house or that". Eventually they realized they were just being mocked and stopped bothering me. Luckily, those particular officers had some kind of sense of humor.

Then, for some unknown reason (yeah right) I road my bike less and less. It just wasn't fun anymore.

Cops love busting people on bikes. They see someone on a bike and automatically think drugs, booze, or weapons.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Just an update.....

I didn't pay.
And I kinda expect a summons or at least a reminder letter.

Now I'm thinking whaaa is right, I should drag this out and try and make it go away though attrition.

top topics

join