It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AP: Guantanamo not closing in January 2010. Broken Promise Number ???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   

The White House acknowledged for the first time Friday that it might not be able to close the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay by January as President Barack Obama has promised.

Obama promised soon after taking office — and many times since — to close the prison, arguing that doing so is crucial to restoring America's image in the world and to creating a more effective anti-terror approach.

But eight months after Obama's pledge and with only four months to go before the January deadline, a number of difficult issues remain unresolved. They include establishment of a new set of rules for military trials, finding a location for a new prison to house detainees and finding host countries for those who can be released.

www.google.com...

Ooops.

What promise number is that?

Want to know the Executive Order number? (Hint it was signed Obama's second day in office!)

jw

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Somebody needs to let Mr. Obama know that being President is not the same as organizing a community.

This is like shutting down Fort Knox without a plan to move the gold.

The problem isn't the failure to close Club Gitmo within the year. The problem is shutting down Club Gitmo is the first place. There is absolutely no reason for it.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

How can it be so difficult to move 225 inmates?

There're Federal prisons across the country, and "camps" in Iraq, Iran and elsewhere.

Obama signed the executive order for show, and to appease his anti-Bush rabble.

What a sham! Unless you belong to a major union, Obama's promises mean nothing. They don't 'cost' anything to make, and his sheep don't care when they break.

jw

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
It really is a no brainier as to why Obama would delay the closure Guantanamo . Voters even those who support the dumb idea at hand wouldn't be to pleased with the notion of having the detainees any where near there backyard . Obama is just another regular politician who freely breaks the promises he has made when it suits .

Cheers xpert11 .

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

It really is a no brainier as to why Obama would delay the closure Guantanamo . Voters even those who support the dumb idea at hand wouldn't be to pleased with the notion of having the detainees any where near there backyard

Bush had asked for closure, too, but his advisors told him it would require agreement from other countries to accept detainees, first. As it turns out, Obama and his transition team were told that closure could not be accomplished w/i 1 year without such understandings, but ignored it and went forward with the "promise" during the campaign, and the Executive Order, after inauguration.

He KNEW it wasn't possible even as he said and Ordered it!

"White House Regroups on Guantanamo"
www.washingtonpost.com...

Another chicken has come home to roost. Right after "no taxes on the working class."

"Unconditional negotiation" with Iran and N. Korea is next.

jw

[edit on 26-9-2009 by jdub297]

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
First Obama wanting to renew the Patriot Act, now saying Guantanamo's not going to close as promised, and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan going strong; what has Obama done that he promised to his sheep? Well, he has totally bankrupted America with his fascist advancements into corporate business, he is trying his darnedest to 'legalize' all illegal immigrants and destroy the nation's healthcare system in toto rather than repair it. Guess that's something.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I dont get it.

How do you stand these broken promises.

How do you stand watching sheeple being lied to right in their damn face by a smiling and charming new president, swallowing every single word.

How can THEY be so blind? How can they suddenly realise everything they just heard before yelling "YES WE CAN!", was nothing but empty words ...... without going crazy?

I really dont understand this.

I do not live in the US, and still just reading about new promises going out the window over and over makes my blood boil.

Is the fluoride level in your water higher than ours or how have they managed to get 90% of the population totally numb?

Its beyond me.

I know its easy to sit behind a screen and call for people to do something, and I do realise you are in a very tight situation here. I just do not understand how its possible to blind nearly a whole population, leaving the possible 10%(which alot of the should be found right here) to discuss what do to.

I just dont feel this is a situation where words from this minority will make much difference concerning the big picture, when written on a board for "conspiracy nuts". (No, that is not MY opinion i might add.)

If my opinions offend anybody here, let me know since this sertainly was not my intent. Im just. Furious. And i wish more people felt the same way.

Take care America.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

I think he recently promised to "get really mad" if Iran nukes anybody.

Probably depends upon who gets bombed.

Aside from those made to or for the benefit of unions, have ANY 'promises'
been kept?

jw

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

Every time I clicked on the link it crashed my browser so forgive me for not reading the article in its entirety . As a Kiwi I would be a part of the international community that doesnt want the detainees anywhere near them . The issue of torture aside Guantanamo Bay is a pretty good deal all a round the enemy combatants are housed away from any areas where they might be a threat to local civilian populations and the New Zealand tax payers doesnt contribute towards the housing of detainees that our forces took .

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
He'll just blame President Bush and Republicans, and the Obamainians will believe him.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

The issue of torture aside Guantanamo Bay is a pretty good deal all a round the enemy combatants are housed away from any areas where they might be a threat to local civilian populations and the New Zealand tax payers doesnt contribute towards the housing of detainees that our forces took .

It makes me wonder why we need a base at Guantanamo at all.

If we're trying to "normalize" relations with Cuba, why treat them any differently than other dictatorships with whom we actively trade but DON'T militarily occupy?

Take China and Venezuela, for example.

jw
p.s.: here's a better link to the Washington Post story explaining the reasoning
"W. H. Counsel Craig replaced as administration rethinks Guantanamo"
[edit to add WaPo link]

[edit on 27-9-2009 by jdub297]

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by stevegmu
He'll just blame President Bush and Republicans, and the Obamainians will believe him.

Of course, the truth is otherwise. As the WaPo reports, Obama and his advisors were warned BEFORE the election that Guantanamo could not be closed before plans were made and agreement assured for detention or release elsewhere:

But, since when does the truth matter - EVERYTHING is Bush and the Republicans' fault.

jw

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
You guys are all racist! Its you right wing gun nuts making things up. Obama has so much on his plate right now with healthcare, Which you right wing terrorists oppose becuase you dont want people to live. Obama is the third coming of Jesus, the second being Nancy Pelosi. You should all be ashamed of how racist you are you white redneck hick terrorist cracker extremists!

jk =)

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by conspiracyrus

Hahahahhahaa. I actually believed you were serious until you called Obama the 3rd coming and Pelosi the 2nd. I'm not sure which is more pathetic and sad - my naivety or the fact that your post is realistic considering "friends"that I've known for 30+ years suddenly accuse me of being racist because it's the only reason they think anyone could disagree with the Great and Mighty Obama!

You are all correct that Obama is not being held accountable for the broken promises and they are all just being dismissed as being the fault of the previous admin. But while his followers continue to verbally defend Obama, a growing number of them are quietly beginning to question his ability to lead our Country in the right direction. His blanket statements like "healthcare for all" went a long way in getting him elected but, try as he might, he can no longer keep hidden the devils that lie in the details. And it's those details that will ultimately ensure that Obama will not be re-elected for a second term!

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
It's not a broken promise (it would be #8, by the way), it's stalled

It could still very well happen within his first term.

Just in case anyone is interested in the facts.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

It could still very well happen within his first term.

He might have a second term?

That's news to me with the way things are going.

Just a thought.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I was thinking the same thing. So are many others. Here is an interesting article, Well worth the time to read.
Enjoy

Foreign Events Force Obama to Turn to Plan B

UNITED NATIONS — For President Obama, the handshakes and hugs during his first visit to the United Nations last week masked a cold reality: nine months into his presidency, he is being forced to retool his most important foreign policy initiatives, from the war in Afghanistan to peace in the Middle East and his diplomatic overture to Iran.

Mr. Obama’s efforts to reach out to adversaries and break political deadlocks are running up against old enmities, insoluble differences and foreign leaders who simply do not see eye to eye with the president.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

thanks for the link, and an excellent observation

Obama is so focused on "fundamentally changing" the U.S., that he's largely ignored foreign policy despite his desires for a global authority overseeing financial transactions, energy policies and health issues.

Guess those will have to wait until his domestic agenda falls better into place.

Or is he just unable to manage an executive office?

jw

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Same sh*t, different puppet

seriously

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
According to PolitiFact.com

Obama has broken a total of 7 promises so far.

www.politifact.com...

So far here are Obama's promise rankings from PolitiFact.com...

* Promise Kept 44

* Compromise 12

* Promise Broken 7

* Stalled 12

* In the Works 100

* No Action 340

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join