It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FCC to propose 'Net neutrality' rules

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   

FCC to propose 'Net neutrality' rules

tech.yahoo.com

The head of the FCC plans to propose new rules that would prohibit Internet service providers from interfering with the free flow of information and certain applications over their networks, according to reports published Saturday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
gigaom.com
www.wired.com

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I think this is a great idea. Alot of the ISP's out there are already doing bandwidth throttling due to the P2P and large file downloaders. I don't want the ISP to filter what programs or applications that I can use over their networks. I believe that there should be a free flow of information. The networks excuse is this "they need to be able to make sure applications that consume a lot of bandwidth don't slow Internet access to other users." I disagree. They just need to make a bigger pipe or figure something else out. The internet cannot be contained and dictated to.....it has become a force on it's own.

tech.yahoo.com

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by desertdreamer

I think this is a great idea. Alot of the ISP's out there are already doing bandwidth throttling due to the P2P and large file downloaders. I don't want the ISP to filter what programs or applications that I can use over their networks. I believe that there should be a free flow of information. The networks excuse is this "they need to be able to make sure applications that consume a lot of bandwidth don't slow Internet access to other users." I disagree. They just need to make a bigger pipe or figure something else out. The internet cannot be contained and dictated to.....it has become a force on it's own.

tech.yahoo.com

Yep, the internet is my baby, I've been with it from the start, seen it's baby steps, and now it's becoming a man and taking on new responsibilities.

It's also growing and learning at a tremendous rate. It's hard to fool the internet anymore. It's hard to NOT find something you're looking for. It's hard to think of something that ISN'T on the Internet.

So leave my baby alone and let him grow. There is alot more he can learn and alot more he can teach us too.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by BaronVonGodzilla

My thoughts exactly. These ISP's are not going to be able to put those kinds of restrictions in place....it just won't work, and will not be accepted.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by desertdreamer
The networks excuse is this "they need to be able to make sure applications that consume a lot of bandwidth don't slow Internet access to other users."

This is true, but it's their problem, which they created. They sell a ton of accounts when they can't handle that many users, and they just bank on the fact that most users aren't using much bandwidth most of the time. They sell you an even bigger pipe for even more money, again expecting you not to use it much.

I could get a faster connection with my ISP, but considering I rarely get anywhere near what I'm supposed to now, that just tells me that a lot of other people are already on a faster connection, and they're killing it.

So yeah, the solution is to actually use the money your customers are paying to provide them with the service they're paying for.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Clickfoot

I thought this was a pretty interesting article.

Google tools for testing for bandwidth throttling

Here is the actual link to the mLab website if anyone is interested in seeing if your ISP is throttling your internet connection.

mLab

top topics

join