It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death gets second chance after lethal injection botched

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Death gets second chance after lethal injection botched

www.smh.com.au

THE US state of Ohio is to try again to execute a man convicted of murder after his death by lethal injection was botched this week when technicians spent two hours in a futile hunt for a vein that could take a needle.

At one point Romell Broom, 53, who was convicted of the kidnap, rape and murder of a 14-year-old girl 25 years ago, tried to help prison officers find a suitable vein by moving around and flexing his muscles. The prison governor later thanked him for his co-operation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   

The failed attempt to execute Broom, described by critics of capital punishment as ''virtually unprecedented'', has again raised questions over the continued use of executions in the US.

A federal judge on Thursday ordered that Broom be deposed for a federal lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of Ohio's lethal injection procedure.

The deposition for Broom is set for Monday, a day before he is again scheduled to be executed. His lawyers were planning overnight to file appeals in state and federal courts seeking to cancel or at least postpone his execution.

Prison officers this week described how, after about an hour of hunting for a suitable vein, Broom helped by turning on to his side, moving rubber tubing along his arm and flexing his hand and muscles.

At one point, technicians found what appeared to be a suitable vein but it collapsed as they inserted a needle, apparently because of past drug use.

Broom became so distressed that he lay on his back and covered his face with both hands. One of the execution team handed him a toilet roll to wipe away tears.

The prison director, Terry Collins, contacted Ohio's Governor, Ted Strickland, to tell him of the difficulties. The Governor issued a temporary reprieve. Mr Collins later thanked the condemned man for what he said was the respect he showed towards the execution team and for the way he endured the ordeal.

Ok, so I am going to probably make a few more enemies by saying this but I truly don't care .I do not care what this man did, or any man for that matter, nobody deserves to have to go through that twice. Once is bad enough.

Look, I come from a country that abolished the death penalty many years ago. Too many mistakes can and have been made, innocent people sent to their deaths and then later found to be not guilty. I do not, and never will, advocate the use of the death penalty on anyone. Give them life in jail (hard labour if they are particularly nasty), just don't go killing people willy nilly and then apologising later for accidentally killing innocent people.

This man just survived the single most horrible ordeal he will ever have to go through. The cold, clinical nature of inevitability HAS to have left a lasting mark. The poor bloke was in tears for crying out loud, I don't care how tough he is or what he did - I think he deserves a reprieve. I am not saying let him out, just give him a reprieve of the death penalty.

www.smh.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 19/9/2009 by Kryties]

+30 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
He raped and murdered a 14 year old girl.

His mental anguish is of no consequence to me. His fault he did so many drugs that finding a viable vein is difficult.

Our past choices affects what happens to us today.

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I'm sorry but i would have to disagree, he should of been taken out back and shot.
he killed a 14yr old girl for gods sake, the couldn't find a vein, or use the one they did find because of excessive drug use, his fault, he only had himself to blame.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I expected the "I don't care what he did, string him up anyway!" crowd to appear here, you certainly are quick off the mark today!!

That's a cop-out. I guarantee that at one point in your lives you have done something wrong and wished you had been given a second chance. Now before you go jumping down my throats saying "but I didn't kill a 14 year old", I don't care WHAT the hell ANYONE did. The beautiful thing about humans is their ability to change. It's not like the man isn't being punished - he would be locked up for the rest of his life.

Personally I think being locked in a cell 23 hours a day alone for the rest of my life is a FAR worse punishment than death.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
They should have just shoved the whole needle contraption up his a@#, then injected him
it was a 14 year old girl he raped and took away form her family, they will NEVER see again.

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

He can sit in the middle of a large desert naked if you want him to sit somewhere for the rest of his life.

Personally, I don't want my tax dollars going to a piece of crap like him.

The reason I don't feel any sympathy for him is because I imagine that poor little girl crying her eyes out calling for daddy to save her as he rapes her and the sheer terror she might have felt when she realised that she was going to die.

Think about that and tell me you are ok with him staying alive because he felt a little mental anguish.

+7 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I will be more than happy to start a Central line on this child rapist and murderer to help him along. I have the time and I have the vascular access skill to do so.

As far as him having to go through this again, I suspect the fear and terror his victem felt was much much worse

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
reply to post by Kryties

He can sit in the middle of a large desert naked if you want him to sit somewhere for the rest of his life.

See! It's not that hard to come up with another punishment instead of death!

Personally, I don't want my tax dollars going to a piece of crap like him.

Sure about that? It costs more to execute him/her than to imprison them for life. Nice try. So you are actually agreeing with me are you?

www.ocucc.org...
www.deathpenaltyinfo.org...

Things You Should Know About the Death Penalty

COST: It is cheaper to incarcerate a murderer for the rest of his/her life than to execute him or her. Statistics show that the average cost for 40 years of prison is $600,000 to $700,000. An execution normally runs $2 million to $3.2 million dollars.

The reason I don't feel any sympathy for him is because I imagine that poor little girl crying her eyes out calling for daddy to save her as he rapes her and the sheer terror she might have felt when she realised that she was going to die.

Emotion has a bad tendency to cloud judgment. This is why I try to live by the motto "Deny emotion, apply logic". Try it out, it works wonders for your outlook on life!

Think about that and tell me you are ok with him staying alive because he felt a little mental anguish.

Keeping him locked up in a cell for 23 hours a day, alone with his thoughts is enough punishment in my opinion.

None of you have a hope in hell of changing my opinion on this and quite frankly your use of emotional blackmail is quite distasteful.

[edit on 19/9/2009 by Kryties]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

nobody deserves to have to go through that

Tell that to the 14 year old LITTLE GIRL he raped and murdered.

I hope it takes them 10 more tries.

And no, you don't make enemies by stating what you believe in - unless the mother of the 14 year old is reading ATS.

peace

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Deny Emotion, Apply Logic.

Emotional blackmail will not change my opinion of this.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

naked in the middle of the desert is a death sentance. Same as putting a needle in his arm, except it is a harder death.

Let me rephrase for you. I don't want my tax dollars feeding or clothing him.

I don't give a rats ass if you change your opinion. But if you have a child and something tragic happens to him/her I want you to "Deny emotion".

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I agree with you.

We had our chance with this one - and we blew it.

I don't care what he did, I wouldn't have him tortured and then killed.

I want him killed straight-up with nothing on his mind but his final destination...

We blew it. It happens. Back to the pit he goes.

[edit on 19-9-2009 by Exuberant1]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Deny Emotion, Apply Logic.

Emotional blackmail will not change my opinion of this.

Oh please - get a grip.

I'm stating logic and I'm not blackmailing anyone for heaven's sake - nor am I trying to change your mind. I don't have the time or patience to deal with other peoples ignorance, I've got enough of my own to deal with.

If anything I'm in your corner saying you should nerver fear making enemies by stating what you believe in - because the moment you stop stating what you believe in you're no longer a friend to yourself.

Facts are facts - if the mother of that girl read your thread I can bet you she'd not be very pleased with you - to say the least.

As for my opinion - I hope they take ten more fails to get it right?

That opinion has nothing to do with emotion and for you to insinuate it does is your right, but a massive fail.

peace

[edit on 19-9-2009 by silo13]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I keep people like this locked up and have yet to see one express sorrow or for that matter accept responsibility for their actions. Quite the contrary it's always some one else's fault or it's because they did drugs and alchol.

As for being locked up 23 hours a day with only his thoughts wouldn't happen. No, he will get recreation, 3 hot meals a day and visits with his family and friends.

What did the little 14 year old girl get? Pain and terror at the end of her life cut short by this monster. My sympathy goes to the victim and her famly.

[edit on 19-9-2009 by gallopinghordes]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

You are still trying to emotionally blackmail my opinion!

If I had a kid, two kids or 10 I would still feel the same way. If someone murdered one of my children I would still feel the same way. Now before you go claiming that I am some sort of black-hearted murder-lover or some other crap - none of this means I would not feel anger, sadness, blah blah blah at the attacker. But I am still of the opinion that locking him away for 23 hours a day alone for the rest of his natural life is sufficient punishment.

Actually, whenever I think of advocates for the death penalty I conjure images in my head of men dressed in bearskin rugs dancing around a sacrifice beating drums......

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Giving a person something to think about is not blackmailing.

You were right though you did make an enemy. Not from your post, but by your general rudeness. Good day and I hope that no child will have the punishment of calling you their parent.

Ignored.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

General rudeness? HAH! When someone starts shouting "Why god why won't someone think of the children" I immediately think they are emotionally blackmailing someone. Call it conditioning from the media or just too much time here on ATS.

Personally I think you really do dislike me for my opinion and that your excuse is just that, an excuse. If you do not like me based on only several posts I have made stating my opinion then perhaps it's best that you keep me on ignore

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by FredT

i do not have freds level of medical training - but in such exceptional circumstances - i too would be able and willing to locate a blood vessel -

ethics ans aestetics be dammed - 1 scalpal - one pair of forceps - and withing 5 seconds i will have a major blood vessel ready for use

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by jd140

General rudeness? HAH! When someone starts shouting "Why god why won't someone think of the children" I immediately think they are emotionally blackmailing someone. Call it conditioning from the media or just too much time here on ATS.

Its not as general as that, its as simplistic as "think of the child", this monster abducted molested and killed a child, there is no crime more abhorent. nobody in their right mind would care about his feelings.

From a personal point of view i believe that the execution for a crime like that should be, drawn out, painful, distressing, like slow boiling for instance, but unfortunatley they get "put to sleep" nice and cosy, unless something goes wrong and thankfully for this monster it has.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join