It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drones Versus Humans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Another good headline for us.

U.S.: CIA Drone Kills 2 Al Qaeda Commanders

Let's overlook, for a second that we are casually learning that the CIA is using the drones to pop the bad guys now. Not contractors, not the military, but the CIA.

Ok.

WASHINGTON — The U.S. believes Central Intelligence Agency drone attacks have killed two prominent Islamic militant figures in Pakistan affiliated with Al Qaeda, one of whom was on the U.S.'s list of top 20 targets, according to officials briefed on the matter.

Hooray for the drones. They score another victory. Popping two bad guys high up on the list.

online.wsj.com...

One drone attack Monday is believed to have killed the leader of the Islamic Jihad Union, Najmiddin Kamolitdinovich Jalolov, an Uzbek native implicated in terrorist plots and attacks in Germany and Uzbekistan. Officials said they are almost certain he was killed, though a DNA test hasn't yet been performed.

A drone attack on Sept. 7 appeared to have killed another prominent Islamic militant, Ilyas Kashmiri, who had been briefly detained in Pakistan for alleged involvement in a 2003 assassination attempt against then-Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf. There is less certainty about his death, however.

The two men are "solid midlevel commanders," said Bruce Hoffman, a Georgetown University professor who specializes in terrorism. Targeting middle-level officers is important, he said, because "when you do kill the senior commanders, there's no one to fill their shoes."

CIA drone attacks intensified in the early months of the Obama administration. A drone last month claimed Pakistani Taliban leader Baitullah Mehsud, who was believed to have been responsible for the assassination of former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto.

It seems that these drones are having a lot more success than the troops on the ground. When was the last time we heard about troops catching one of the top bad guys? I have nothing against the troops. But I do have a question.

Why are they still THERE? We are having extremely good 'hunting' apparently, using CIA drones (wth) and drones don't endanger any more American lives.

Do we need any other proof that the 'war' in Afghanistan is a sham? We can spend 8 years with 60,000 troops on the ground and have more success impacting these terrorist organizations using a dozen drone missions.

Makes a lot of sense to me. It has nothing to DO with bringing anyone to 'justice.' That is painfully obvious.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
how about we force VACINATE the whole population.track them with an implanted R.F.I.D.when we don/t like them anymore .we program a drone to hunt them down 24/7..you won't even need a guy in a cubicle to oversee the operation..only as long as i'm the dictator..

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
We are there in part because of 9/11. Technology can reduce US causalities in war but can't eliminate them. It will still be the ground pounders who decide the final outcome of a war, not air or naval power, and/or any form of spooks. It will be the guy on the ground combined with bettering life for the common person within their culture. Do this and you win don't do it and you lose and can go home circa the USSR in the 1980s.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
The US army is in Afghanistan because the country produces 90% of the world's heroin. But you knew that ...

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Nichiren

I suppose they haven't perfected the ability of the drones to produce heroin yet....that makes sense.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Doing War on Terror with XM8 Rifle, XM25 Smartgun, and Dragon Skin Body Armor is far better than doing same war with Guided Bombs, Missiles, and UAVs (since both XM8 and XM25 do far less collateral damage and the Dragon skin Body Armor is Far more resilient than Conventional kevlar vest with brittle ceramic board)

top topics

join