It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ancient Noble Order of the Gormogons [The Birth of Anti-Masonry?]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 04:48 AM
link   
You know, I don't usually put much stock into anything that I hear on TV anymore, but sometimes, things catch my ear. This very thing happened to me yesterday when I was watching an episode of Bones, and they mentioned the group that's mentioned in the title of this thread.

After having done a bit of research, I have found that such a group did at one time exist, and they were staunch Anti-Masons. According to the Grand Lodge of British Columbia, the following is known about this secret society:

The Antient Noble Order of the Gormogons was a short-lived eighteenth century society; leaving no records or accomplishments to indicate its true goal and purpose. From the few published advertisements and notices, it would appear that its sole objective was to hold up Freemasonry to ridicule.

The reason that I bring this up here is that there are no threads discussing this order, and there's even speculation that this society may yet thrive, albeit in a very subtle fashion.

The question that I open this discussion with is in that same vein: Is this order still active today, and if so, do they go by the same name, or are they known by another, more familiar name?

As a point of contention, take into consideration the following:

The Grand Mogul, the Czar of Muscovy, and Prince Tochmas are entr'd into this Hon. Society ; but it has been refused to the Rebel Meriweys, to his great Mortification. The Mandarin will shortly set out for Rome, having a particular Commission to make a Present of the Antient Order to his Holiness, and it is believ'd the whole Sacred College of Cardinals will commence Gormogons. Notice will be given in the Gazette the Day the Chapter will be held.

Now, the results of that meeting are not known, although one can guess the outcome if they look at the views of these and other groups.

Again I ask, does this group live on?

TheBorg

Edited for grammar and title.

[edit on 16-9-2009 by TheBorg]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg

Again I ask, does this group live on?

It does not, but it helped shape some public opinion about Freemasonry in the early days of the Grand Lodge era. The organization's sole purpose was to ridicule Freemasonry, and does appear to have existed as an actual order, but was rather a sort of mock fraternity, similar in some aspects to the Ancient and Honorable Society of Turtles.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Masonic Light

Well, as I mentioned above, the Grand Mogul went to speak with his Holiness, whom I presume to be the Pope himself, in an attempt to bring them into the fold of the society.

Now I may be mistaken, but it's been my understanding that the Catholic Church doesn't align themselves with the Freemasons in any capacity whatsoever. In fact, they seem to be opposed to one another.

Just making an observation here. More research is pending on my part, so if anything that I've said is incorrect, please inform me.

TheBorg

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Thats pretty interesting and funny. A order of anti masons. I've never heard of them til now, thanks for posting.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg
Now I may be mistaken, but it's been my understanding that the Catholic Church doesn't align themselves with the Freemasons in any capacity whatsoever. In fact, they seem to be opposed to one another.
Your conclusion is half flawed: while the Catholic Church does indeed have papal bulls against its members becoming Masons, Masons have no problem admitting members who are Catholic.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I think there is more to the relationship between the Catholic Church and Freemasonry than meets the eye.

The Catenian Association is a Catholic brotherhood which has members who are priests, brothers, bishops, cardinals and many devout lay catholics.

The structure of the Catenians is almost identical to Freemasonry. They meet as circles (lodges), have the same officers as Freemasonry and their goals are identical to those of Freemasonry.

I do not know what their rituals are like because they're secret (^^), but I suspect that the organization is simply Freemasonry for Catholics (ie. an irregular Masonic institution)

I may be wrong, but I have done a lot of reading on the Catenians, and my evaluation of what I have read, as a Freemason, is that they are in fact Freemasons by another name, but with membership limited to Catholics only.

A quote from their website:

"… It is our purpose to encourage our brothers and their families to meet socially. We strive to help one another as far as we may to happiness and prosperity; and should a Brother suffer misfortune, our concern is to aid him in full measure. We are proudly Catholic, and as a Brotherhood we are non-political. We do not permit wrangling to mar our meetings, nor do we tolerate excesses in the behaviour of Brothers. We expect you to observe faithfully all the obligations of life, to be charitable in judgement, forbearing in temper and slow to condemn. We look to find a Brother, if husband, loving and trustworthy; if father ever mindful of the moral and material well-being of your children and dependents; as a son, dutiful and considerate; and as a friend steadfast and true …"

[edit on 17/9/2009 by Saurus]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
you mentioned bones. what was that episode called?

top topics

join