It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Library Removes All Books

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by John Matrix

Not Starring you

And what's the point of oxygen for a future population which has been effectively rendered brain-dead ? (as are certain in the current generation, apparently)

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
For some of my college classes we have the books on pdf file. I have to print them out to sit and read them because reading on the puter for long enough to read them that way gives me migraines.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Say goodbye to the sum total of human knowledge in the event of a major solar flare.

Save the god damn books, idiots.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   

[i
the only problem I forsee is, what if some event occurs that destroys or damages all electronic storage mediums?

)

The ancient sumerian authors pressed their symbols into clay tablets and let them dry. They are still legible 5000 years later.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Make Speed Limit 45

true to a point - but for every clay tablet that we have access to today - there are probally 10 000 that habe been ground to dust

and also , books are not ` eternal ` - where are the holdings of the library at Alexandria now ?

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by blueorder

Yes, think about it.

An electronic book can be a thousand books - how much labor (including delivery trucks) how many trees, how much water & how many chemicals does it take to print a thousand books?

Electronic books make sense because in the long run they are less expensive and take up less space.

Real books will become a luxury.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by verylowfrequency

Yes, think about it.

An electronic book can be a thousand books - how much labor (including delivery trucks) how many trees, how much water & how many chemicals does it take to print a thousand books?

Electronic books make sense because in the long run they are less expensive and take up less space.

Exactly,

I see the wisdom of electronic books as well. You don't have to burn the books and their will always be a market for real books. But this will save a lot of money and be more efficient.

All you have to do is download the book to the Kindle and go.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Matrix Rising

Originally posted by verylowfrequency

Yes, think about it.

Exactly,

I see the wisdom of electronic books as well. You don't have to burn the books and their will always be a market for real books. But this will save a lot of money and be more efficient.

All you have to do is download the book to the Kindle and go.

I don't see the wisdom of it. What about the lower class who cannot afford a few hundred dollars for a kindle who could've bought a used book for a lot less?? Reading should not be a luxury.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I have to agree with the people on here who say that these ebooks can be altered or even non existant in the computer system. Also with the people who say that now you can be flagged for the type of books you are trying to find.
Whats wrong with having both physical books and computer systems for learning?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join