It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher turns 'crazy idea' into new school lead by teachers not bureaucrats.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
This is great thing to be happening in the American school system. It's finnally attempting to break the tired old mold and attempt something new.

This is atory from CNN about a remarkable teacher and her new school.

Link

(CNN) -- "I have a crazy idea": Those five words changed a simple meeting of school officials into the realization of Kim Ursetta's dream.

Kim Ursetta leads her kindergarten class at Mathematics and Science Leadership Academy in Denver, Colorado.

1 of 5 Ursetta, then president of a local teachers' union, blurted out those words 18 months ago during a meeting in the office of Denver, Colorado's, schools superintendent.

The other officials in the room leaned in as Ursetta leaped into a sales pitch that would turn an ordinary day into a highlight of her career.

"I want to start a new kind of school," she said, a union-sponsored public school led by teachers, not a principal.

What are your thoughts ATS?

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I figuredt his would garner a bit more attention.

I would think it is very important for our schools to be changing the status quo.

~Keeper

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Good idea we had far too much bureaucracy when I was in school (1 year ago) good to see someone took the initiative for once, bureaucrats and accountants don't run schools very well.

I don't know much about the US school system as I live in the UK, but from what I can gather it seems very messy. Or am I wrong?

join