It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Raped In America; What Was The Cost Last Time You Saw A Dr? Working Thread For World Health Costs.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Hi ATS,

I'd really like to hear your health care stories and the costs associated with them. I recently I wrote a thread regarding a visit to an Emergency Room in Mexico; see here: www.abovetopsecret.com... I had some interesting replies; like that of Lunatyx and Miss_Silver. See their comments below.

miss_silver

I was treated nicely, they took 6 x-rays, 3 for each hands and one for my back, was assured that nothing was broken, provided with a set of splints for the MD felt that even tho the x-rays didn't reveal anything significant that the bones in my thumbs were the hardest to look at, so the splints were mostly preventive, wasn't given any medication against the pain beside being told, take some tylenol and we were off on our merry way. Total cost, a whopping 1269.50$ I can agree that some fees should be paid like the x-ray technician and the MD medical expertise but beyond that, being charged 700$ for 7 x-rays is borderline ludicrous!!!

lunatyx

54 Bucks ?! What a rip off ! If I had this accident in Belgium, I would not pay a single euro That`s the beauty about a general healthcare system, instead of a private one. ***the point they are making is that it is completely free, or absorbed by the govt.***

Now, I began to wonder about cost's of healthcare World wide. It seems absolute that the average US American does get the short end of the stick a lot. Now from postings of warrenb, it seems the Universal Health Care plan our government is pushing is turning into nothing but forced private insurance companies; which You will be regulated via the IRS. Go figure, I cannot think of a larger screw job; almost kinda reminds me of a bad prison joke involving soap.......... Sorry for the visual, but it's the truth.

So from the direction of the US, or lack there of; I have begun to wonder about the Worldwide health care, and associated costs, or lack there of.

Luckily ATS is a global community with members all over the globe. I would like to have some global input into this thread regarding healthcare, and medical costs in all countries across the globe. When's the last time you've been to the emergency room? What was done and how much was the cost?
For simplicity to convert all costs into dollars would be good.

This is an important topic as Americans are in one of the more developed countries in the World, but don't have any kind of provided health care. It seems We get the shaft every time. The feed back would be greatly appreciated to ferment, or nurture a better understanding of how the rest of the World operates.

Thank You,

Sancho

ps. medical tourism is huge in Latin America. I've got a Lady friend who lines up US American clients with World renowned plastic surgeons. Her clients are looking 20 years younger for under five grand. Why can't that happen here!?

[edit on 7-9-2009 by sanchoearlyjones]

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

Fortunately I have good insurance and I only pay $15 to see the doctor. I think hebills the insurance company about $150.

I do have an experience from France, where I recently spent 2 months. My son had a bad upper respiratory deal. After a couple of days and he did not get better, we looked in the phone book and called "English Doctors on Call". We asked to have a doctor come to our apartment. He was there within the hour. Spoke good English. He checked out my son and wrote him several perscriptions. When he was finished checking my son out, he asked us if there was anyone else in the family who had anything they wanted him to look at. My wife had a badly clogged ear. He checked that out and wrote her a perscription for some drops. The house call was 60 Euros, at the time about $80. A pretty good deal

I walked down the street to get the scripts filled. 7 perscriptions, no insurance and it came to about 20 Euros. This would have cost a couple of hundred dollars in the US. We are getting reamed on drug costs.

After a couple of days he still was not improving and decided to take him to the hospital. We go to the American Hospital in Paris. They don't have a pediatrition on site so they call the gent on call. He's there in about a half an hour and we see him right away. He spends over an hour with us. Gets full family history, talks to my son for a while to get him comfortable and then checks him out. Determines that he has a virus, and also decides to get him a chest xray. He gets the xray, the doc checks it out and he's good to go, just take it easy for a few days. I have to pay the doctor 100 Euros and the chest xray costs me 150 Euro. I don't know, but I would guess that would cost me close to a grand in the US and I would have spent about 8 minutes with the doc.

The hospital, by the way was spotless, modern. In short, I found the medical treatment to be fantastic.

I could have gone to a free French hospital and had it all done for nothing too,but I don't have any insight on that experience.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
My health insurance went away a few years back.

I ended up getting mono earlier this year, I had no idea what was going on!

My neck nodes swelled up and I looked funny as heck, and somehow it pinched nerves in my neck so being alive hurt...

So I figured that i'd been travelling a lot lately, and went to the ER, diagnosed me with Mono after putting me on Morphine
, and then chest exray, cause my symptoms aligned with TB, which I have, but it's not active, so I think i'm good
. Chest was clean, especially for a 2 pack a day smoker!

So they wrote me a steroid and a bottle of Vicodin
. They were very generous, but damn it helped me through the night sweats! Which were awful. And let me get sleep.

2,000 dollars, then it turned to 4,000 dollars...

I have no intention on paying that! I was there for like 20 minutes!

On a more serious note.

My father died Nov 6th 2008 at 2 am. Shortly after I signed the DNR.

Well it was deemed a Pre existing condition for his heart.

And the whole thing drained his bank account, and my inheritance, still waiting for whatever maybe left over
We're still fighting it, hoping for a 25/100 but our Lawyer says expect either 50/100 or 100/100 lol.

He was an Oil Tycoonist in Egypt.

What was the worst part, was some years ago, my little brother got in a fourwheeling accident, and went into acoma from serious head injuries, and the ICU and Life Support, cost around 1,000,000 dollars, insurance wouldn't cover it because he wasn't wearing a helmet.

He paid that off fully, and then tried to recover, but their sick basterds.

Really an insult to injury. We're still trying to figure out what to do with the business, my step mom, started another business which is very successful over in Egypt. But we still haven't decided on anything, to sell it or keep it.

[edit on 7-9-2009 by Republican08]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
This isn't the case any longer since I've changed employers but I had a choice between $240 deducted from may pay per month for insurance to cover myself and all my children or $440 per month deducted to cover me, my children and my wife. Is my wife worth 200 per month? Absolutely, but I can't for the life of me figure out why the 240 included all of my children, regardless of how many, but to add my wife was 200 more.

Then we sat back and looked at things.... Neither her nor I go to the doctor for anything less than completely debilitating conditions. Sniffles, sneezes, sprains, etc.- we already know the drills: Dimetap, Robitussin, Motrin, Tylenol, wraps. So considering that, not having her on the plan saved me $2400 a year. Kids got vaccinated and such (under protest from both them and me) at no charge whether I had a plan or not (ironically my take-home pay, qualified me to do so under local programs even without paying for their health care). I've been to a doctor twice in the last 20 years, once while under my employer's plan. But anyhow- 240 month x 120 months = $28,800 paid in for health care I never had to use and would've qualified for care had I needed it at no cost under current, existing programs in the US.

So if you ask me, the private care system is broken and the current public system works just fine.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Thats a sad story.
I also lost my father but not my inheritance. (his house)
I am appalled by our country's lack of compassion for it's own.
I wish you well and a prosperous future.
I know you dont want to hear it, and I am certainly not your
mother, but you should quit smoking. For your loved ones.
That was one of the very last things my father asked me to do.
If you havent already quit, please think seriously about it.
There is a thread on here somewhere about it I participated in.
There were tons of good ideas!
Take care, best regards and my condolences about your father.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by dodadoom

Thats a sad story.
I also lost my father but not my inheritance. (his house)
I am appalled by our country's lack of compassion for it's own.
I wish you well and a prosperous future.
I know you dont want to hear it, and I am certainly not your
mother, but you should quit smoking. For your loved ones.
That was one of the very last things my father asked me to do.
If you havent already quit, please think seriously about it.
There is a thread on here somewhere about it I participated in.
There were tons of good ideas!
Take care, best regards and my condolences about your father.

I would but, my dads last words to me was how proud he was of me giving up my Addiction, to something else. And how good I looked back in AEX.

I keep smoking, cause my life right now, is hectic, and full of anxiety, I think i'd explode without cigs. It's your best friend at times, and your worst enemy. I figure, what's all this anxiety calms down, I'll try giving it up.

Sober for 2 years on the 27th
. Except for coors lol. Dad death seems like it was yesterday can't believe it's almost been a full year.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Not me-

My passed away father -

Was a Chair of Social Ecology at a UC - GREAT INSURANCE

Diagnosed glioblastoma in Oct 2005 - passed June 2009

Just finished the legal stuff (LW&T) two weeks ago

His treatment total after insurance = $2,320,000.00 - give or take a couple thousand

His new wife is trying to keep their house thru legal channels

[edit on 7-9-2009 by mental modulator]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I'm a Dual Citizen of Canada and the USA

I lived in canada shortly in 2007-2008. I ended up getting a massive migraine, worst I ever had, I get them, but this was crippling, I had no idea what people went through!

It was the kind were you just want to explode or just anything to stop the pain.

I remember waiting for my HealthCard in the mail but had to be rushed to the ER in canada, they took me in put me on a drip of gravol and something else, surprisingly enough, it did absolutely nothing for pain, helped my feelings of nausea though, but that's like taking a feather off of a car and saying aww it weighs less now

I was in there for a few hrs, and it went down a bit, then we left.

I ended up with the card about a week later, and called them gave them the number, they took it and said ok your all good.

I hesitated, I asked well "What do I need to pay now?" they said "Nothing your done, your OK". "I said well so when do I get the bill for it all". she seemed frustrated and reminded me it was all taken care of.

I for about a month felt very suspicious!
Wondering if she was joking with me, I honestly couldn't comprehend it!

It was like having a stranger see your car broke down, then they buy you the new alternator for it!

Which surprisingly enough has happened before...
Sometimes you just get damn lucky!

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Congratulations and way to go!
I understand completely.
One thing at a time.
My teeth dont like me anymore, but gum and candy are my best friends now!

I figure I can get new teeth, but it would be alot harder to get new lungs!
Actually with the money I saved giving it up, I can afford the dentist now!
So myy teeth are actually in better shape now. Go figure.....
I wish you well whatever life throws at you!
And good luck with the bloodsucking lawyers! (oops, did I say that?)

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

From what You wrote Your absolutely correct concerning the costs there as compared with the US. It would be interesting to take a look at the totally free clinics in France. What You describe between semi private, and completely socialized sounds familiar to many Latin American Countries.

There is a quality level of free care; it ensures decent free not gonna need to pay for life threatening care, and then there is the 'extra' You can pay for out of pocket.

One of the things that is provided FREE in most of these countries is bikini cut C-sections for birthing babies. I think that is awesome. I've seen many a female in the States who had a welfare delivered baby, via C-section. Every last one of them has been the ole' rip them open from Solar Plexis past naval, or I should say a disfiguring cut; why the back woods approach/method in the self proported best nation on Earth?

I wouldn't expect You to pay that bill. It's should be a crime to do to anyone, what goes on daily basis in the USA........Land of the greedy, and home of the too scared to speak out.

I have a pre existing debilitating condition. I've always worked hard, but no damn insurance company will cover me; because it's "pre existing". Sure, many claim after You pay in for a year then You'll be covered, but that year time frame, and coverage afterward is a joke. The only way I can get anykind of coverage in the USA right now is to be indegent. To give up years of hard work, and beg.... I have a few choice words for that.

See, it really ticks me off, but I've got a form of Muscular Dystrophy. It is attacking my lungs, and Heart predominently. So, thanks to the wonderful non existent health care in the States I will basically get to sophicate to death at some point....as the muscles weaken.... I gotta say it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, but it makes me a bad @ss patriot because I really don't care whether I live, or die...... The choice was in many ways taken from me.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator

His treatment total after insurance = $2,320,000.00 - give or take a couple thousand

Are you kidding me?
What is up with this crazy blankity blank country's priorities?
E- gads, whats wrong with this picture?
May have to move to france for awhile!

P.S. Or Canada!

[edit on 7-9-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Good thread idea, Sancho.

But I think it may miss one aspect in the equation. How much money do these countries pay in taxes. Here in the states we pay approx. 40% of our money back to the Gov when you factor the taxes you pay every day.

Will that rise?
I'm not so sure that the National Program would ease enough tension on the overall economy to make it so that Joe Neighbor is now going to be able to save money because viola, he now doesn't have to pay as much for milk.

I pay $15 to see a doctor. Of course that goes up if it is an emergency, but all in all, not too bad. The prescriptions will definately get ya' though. If I need them, I hope they are covered in WalMart's generic program. $4 isn't bad either.
And I do realize that not everyone has insurance like that, but I don't know how much I agree with redistribution of wealth. Because as I said, I don't think groceries are gonna get any cheaper after this.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

I cannot speak for many areas I know little about, but Latin America I can speak about, and A LOT.

The taxes here in many countries tax on somewhat a fair tax basis. You are taxed via an income tax, but EVERYTHING is tax deductible. It ranges, but many of these countries only charge in the 15% range on businesses, and wages. Either way 100% of all expenditures is deductible. Everywhere You go will offer a receipt with any purchase because it can be deducted.

Much of the money in say Mexico for the Health Care comes out of the State owned Pemex Oil Co. That's where their oil money goes. All in country.

Guatemala funds it out of a gas tax as well. I am not sure about Honduras, but all of them provide it.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

For that kind of tax money you would think we WOULD HAVE
universal health care!
But it may just be my thinking.
Not for or against, just sayin'.....

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by mental modulator
Not me-

My passed away father -

Was a Chair of Social Ecology at a UC - GREAT INSURANCE

Diagnosed glioblastoma in Oct 2005 - passed June 2009

Just finished the legal stuff (LW&T) two weeks ago

His new wife is trying to keep their house thru legal channels

To add to my story

My mom fell of a 20 foot ladder while vacationing in MEXICO back in 2007. (changing a bulb on a vaulted ceiling)
Her leg got caught in a rung near the bottom and it snapped her leg backwards.

On her way to the hospital she said all she could think about was dying in Mexico
from the treatment she was about to receive.
Four various doctors were there for her knee surgery which was immediate...

She jokes now... "All of a sudden I heard the doctors discussion turn serious, then I heard a horrible SAW noise, I thought good god the f-ing barbarians are going to cut off my poor leg
I actually passed out after thinking that thought, hearing that noise."

She later found out that they were aspirating her wound. She spent 7 days in the hospital there where she was served "platters" of fresh fruit and fresh soup for every meal.

When she came back to the states, upon the initial consultation with her KAISER doctor noted "that is one of the BEST re-constructive knee surgeries I have seen in a long while" I heard it myself as I was there in the room.

Mexi hospital sent her the bill about a month later

total cost

$1,200.00

[edit on 7-9-2009 by mental modulator]

link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

Yeah, but I'm just curious as to what their overall tax rate is. I mean, is America *really* getting screwed in these regards?

I'm guessing a lot of these Countries not only provide healthcare for their people, but don't tax them as much on the whole.
Which would indicate that it is a product of a simply more well-structured economic system as a whole.

I mean, yeah, American's are getting screwed. But we are ALREADY getting screwed if you don't even consider National Health Care. Will it get worse?

I'm interested to know also. How much these people pay to see the Doctor and how much they pay into their federal government in taxes for not only healthcare, but everything else. Down to the penny for sales tax.

link   
reply to post by dodadoom

You know We should have free health care. It shouldn't be a luxury to live healthy.

It seems to certainly be a part of normal life elsewhere. I'll tell ya' something else regarding other countries that give free health care; that is the degree of real concern towards the food, or chemicals the People are exposed to.

Really look at it. The US is by far the most heavily inundated with GMO food, and We have the highest bottom line health care costs.........

Talk about a cash cow

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by dodadoom

Yeah I know. That is my point. Is that 40% going to go up even more?
Something to consider, because at this point, it is pretty tough to buy organic, non-poisoned, vegetables. Things are outrageously expensive as it is.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

I am trying to look right now for the exact figures. The numbers are cheap, and reasonable. The People are similar to the French; as they will protest with all their collective might should things not be as they want.

So, I do believe in many regards they are in many regards better People regulated systems.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by dodadoom
reply to post by mental modulator

Are you kidding me?
What is up with this crazy blankity blank country's priorities?
E- gads, whats wrong with this picture?
May have to move to france for awhile!

P.S. Or Canada!

[edit on 7-9-2009 by dodadoom]

Well you've gotta take into account - he was only given 3 months to live initially

Jesus - the last corse anti nausea pills were $30,000.00 for a months worth.

HE had TOMO therapy at John Hopkins

Oh and three goes on the chemo

Two Brain surgeries

Actually it was the drugs that really tallied it up in the end

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join