It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Farmer's Almanac Predicts "Numbing" Winter

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   

LEWISTON, Maine – As homeowners across the country pray for a mild winter to offset rising energy costs, the world-famous Farmers’ Almanac is warning us to prepare for the worst. “Numb’s the word!” is how the 192-year-old publication is predicting the upcoming winter season. “For 2008-2009, we are forecasting a ‘numbing’ winter, with below-average temperatures for at least two thirds of the country,” reveals Farmers’ Almanac weather guru Caleb Weatherbee in the publication’s 2009 edition, which hits newsstands on August 26, 2008. “Only the Far West and Southeast will see near-normal temperatures. Few, if any, locations will enjoy many above-normal temperature days this upcoming season.” The Farmers’ Almanac is also calling for heavy snow in the Great Lakes and Plains regions this winter, with a rainy season in the South, and close to normal precipitation in most other regions of the country. Editor Peter Geiger says the combination of skyrocketing prices for home heating fuel and the bone-chilling cold predicted for the coming winter could be “catastrophic.”

www.farmersalmanac.com...

I've been looking around and watching this over the course of this not summer we've been having and I find the parallels to the Maunder Minimum are interesting and frankly scary. Combine this with the specter of H1N1 and the parallels to the black death and this coming winter seems as though it will be a breaking point. I know others have said the same thing as far as it being bad but this correlation to the little ice age and the black death becomes further evidence that TSHTF is probably not far off. I don't think that H1N1 is necessarily that dangerous, but whatever they're putting in the vaccine combined with the worst winter on record could prove to be a deadly combination for many. Particularly low income inner city residents and those who are undereducated and unprepared. What do you all think?

MODS: If I have posted this in the wrong forum please move wherever is most appropriate.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by gaborn415]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by gaborn415

I agree with the prediction of a cold winter, but you are quoting last years almanac!!

On sale "August 26, 2008" for the winter 08-09. That winter is over already. We are entering the winter of 09-10!

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I just read something on another site about this winter. So, I think someone better get their almanacs out. On the weather channel, they jsut said that we're now have early fall weather. So, that also means that H1N1 flu bug is going to happen all that much sooner.

almanac article
www.comcast.net...

OP:???

[edit on 1-9-2009 by aleon1018]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
We never really had a summer here. I think it broke 85 twice so far. Last week we had highs in August that didn't even reach 70 degrees. My grandparents can't ever remember a summer this cold before. I am dreading when winter gets here this year.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I love reading through the Almanac.

Here is a online version for all of you to browse. Here.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by gaborn415

Can you provide a link to this story?
You have a quote but no link

much appreciated

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
It is interesting that nearly the same forecast is being used for both winter predictions. Maybe someone screwed up?

It will be intersting anyway.

Frigid 2010 Forecast: How Cold will the Winter Weather Be?

A large area of numbingly cold temperatures will predominate from roughly east of the Continental Divide to west of the Appalachians (see map). The coldest temperatures will be over the northern Great Lakes and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. But acting almost like the bread of a sandwich, to this swath of unseasonable cold will be two regions with temperatures that will average closer to normal—theWest Coast and the East Coast.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by aleon1018

They base their predictions largely off of Solar Activity, Sunspots, and Weather Cycles, so it isn't too unusual that the two winters would be very similar.

The Solar Activity hasn't come back yet, so the winter's will get incrementally cooler until it does.
Almanac
Global Warming

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I love the Almanac too and have been reading it for years now...they are usually pretty accurate in my opinion. I find it comforting as well as informative! I remember in 2003, (I think), the forecast for my area was right on the money for that entire winter. Even the snowstorms and the snow totals were accurately predicted right down to inches.

I'll have to go look and see if the latest issue is out yet, but I don't think it is?....

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

They base their predictions largely off of Solar Activity, Sunspots, and Weather Cycles, so it isn't too unusual that the two winters would be very similar.

The Solar Activity hasn't come back yet, so the winter's will get incrementally cooler until it does.
Almanac
Global Warming

People also like to mention the movie; The Day After Tomorrow

There could still be some deep freeze before (another) a major thaw.

I suppose that would be better than burning up with no freezer burn.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   

People also like to mention the movie; The Day After Tomorrow

Good point, and that brings in the Atlantic currents that are weak this year! The warmer Atlantic temps moved North up the East Coast of the US, but the Southern Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico were cooler than usual.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Yeah sorry bout that just realized I didn't include a link to the original story rookie mistake I suppose

Edited OP to put a link in there

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Didn't one of those so called online time travelers mention 2010 being the year of no summer? Hmm..

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I don't know about the rest of the US, but here in Florida i have noticed migrating geese for the last 2 weeks. Thats about a month early for geese to migrate over Florida. The few times I have seen early migration patterns; the northeast US had pretty harsh winters.

Makes one wonder just how harsh the winter will be with the economic situation, and possible flu problems due to people not having the money for proper nutrition and living conditions causing the mutation and spread of the flu. Sounds like it all works hand in hand to create a possibly bad scenario. This will be the time for us to become better neighbors to help offset some of the possibilities that could come from the combination of unconnected bad situations.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Pappa_Bear

I am on the Florida/Georgia Line, and I have seen migrating birds as well! They weren't Geese though, they flocks of smaller birds. There has also been a lot of the high, wintry clouds in our area for several weeks. I can't remember ever seeing those clouds in Florida, but they are common in the winter time in the Midwest!

I think we are in for an unseasonable Winter here as well!

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Canadian says, "Welcome to my world."

You want to stay warn in extreme cold you need to spend a little more and buy something made with Gore-Tex:

The GORE-TEX® membrane: The secret of GORE-TEX® outerwear -- which is both completely waterproof and completely breathable at the same time -- lies within its revolutionary bi-component membrane. The membrane contains over 9 billion microscopic pores which are approximately 20,000 times smaller than a drop of water, but 700 times bigger than a molecule of moisture vapor. So while water in its liquid form cannot penetrate the GORE-TEX® membrane, as moisture vapor it can easily escape.

Waterproof, windproof and breathable: The patented GORE-TEX® membrane makes garments 100% waterproof, windproof and breathable so that you stay dry and comfortable under any conditions.

www.gore-tex.com...

I was given a Niners jacket about 15 years ago and before it wore out I can remember only being cold 2 day. That's over about 10 years. Spend the extra money, it's worth it.

Edit: They can run you from $250-$600:

www.gore-tex.com...

Like I said though, they are worth it.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by intrepid]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
The Almanac was my grandfather's bible. He got it every year, and even planted his crops according to it. Strangely enough, it was always pretty accurate.

Here in Missouri, its the coldest Ive ever remembered for summer. We broke a record low the other night, 40 degrees, and that was August 27. I think we had 2 weeks up in 90s the whole summer, and thats highly unusual. Usually August is like a sauna.

Im not looking forward to winter, and think I'll buy a kerosene heater. We get ice storms here, and I have a feeling, we may have some bad ones.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

I'm from SW Missouri, and it is nice to hear about the "ice storms." We hardly ever got snow when I was a kid; we always got sleet or freezing rain instead! You are probably familiar with those high, gray, gloomy clouds from the winters in Missouri? We have been getting those here in North Florida for the past couple of weeks! Out of all the things I miss about Missouri, the gloomy gray winters wasn't one of them!

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

you forgot the snow and melting black water all over the kitchen floor

I don't miss Springfield or Collins Mo, however the Farmers Almanac has always been used in my household as it is fairly accurate for planting, and planning for the winter.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by gaborn415

Yeah sorry bout that just realized I didn't include a link to the original story rookie mistake I suppose

Edited OP to put a link in there

Well,

as someone else had pointed out; you also posted last winters forecast as well. But at least you have the right link to it.

That's OK, somones else mentioned these are typical for this solar cycle anyway. As to how severe it willl be is yet to be seen. It is interesting that the farmers almanac is still accurate regardless of the alleged global warming threat.

I'v yet to hear from the farmers themselves yet though, as summer crops may have failed more or less than they should have. Still, this is the Farmers Almanac and not the skiers and snowmobilers. Winter snows is still very important for spiring run off.

Maybe the two will balance themselves out as I think the planet makes it's own corrections with or without us.

<<   2 >>

join