It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York Times - racist attacks on white Americans and just plain old bias

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I've noticed CNN as the biggest race blamer.. their front page has a weekly report devoted to explain how much black peoples lives suck because of whites. We have all noticed the msm contempt for conspiracies, but imo they highlight the conspiracy against middle class whites.

My sollution; I will boycott CNN.

I advise everyone else to do the same.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthParadox

I guess on this topic we will have to agree to disagree. As far as not seeing any instances of race at your school, could that have possibly been a result of you completely overlooking it because your not sensitive to recognizing it for what it was?

I know my instances of racism were not imagined nor just a feeling. They ranged from being called the n word in the middle of downtown in a college town, to it being assumed and blatantly told to my face, that because I was able to attend college, it was only because of affirmative action and that I would not have gotten in if I was not black. And this was by a college professor of mine. Never mind my great grades and SAT scores. The incident was being completely ignored by a real estate agent and never acknowledged at all when my partner and I (who is white by the way) were looking to buy a house. To top that off, he ended with some crack about the neighborhood having several walmarts for me to work at (never mind my two bachelors degrees and make more than my partner and would be the main breadwinner). This incident actually happened a month ago. I wouldn't call those instances imagined, and the sad part is, from what I know from my other black friends, these are pretty mild examples of racism.

As for letting it go, it's rather hard to do that when you run into the situations I described above. Not only that, but the struggles that black people before me went through is my history and is a part of me. It basically shapes a lot of who I am today and why I am proud of being African-American or black. When you mention letting it go, I think to a lot of black people, that signifies forgetting where you come from and how far we have came and would show a type of disrespect for our struggles. A lot of our national identity directly results from the struggles of slavery and discrimination, and the fight to overcome it. To just let it go, would be to forget who we are and how we have come from being 3/5ths of a person and property, to being CEO's and the POTUS. Just my opinion though.

Remember, we are only 40 years removed from the civil rights era. I think you'll find that a lot of the black people in my age gap that are in or have gone to college are becoming a lot more mellow where race relations are concerned. Our parents mostly were born and grew up in the civil rights era and still remind us of what they had to go through for us to have the rights we have now. I think as time goes on, with each generation of black people, the racism issue will subside, but you have to remember, we are not that far removed from the separate but equal days. Just because slavery was ended or civil rights reforms passed, it did not all of a sudden make everything equal for black people. It's going to be a long road even though things are comparatively better.

As far as carrying the guilt of your forefathers, I'm not one to say that white people should feel guilty. And I don't think a lot of black people care whether you feel guilty or not. Obviously it wasn't you who owned slaves, and your ancestors might not have even owned them for all we know. But there are certain advantages into being born into the majority, whether that takes the forms of better education, opportunities for your kids, or what have you. Not only do a lot of white people deny that fact, but when attempts are made to close the gap even further, there are usually cries of reverse discrimination or of blacks receiving a free ride. But like I said, we can agree to disagree and our experiences are going to vary due to us being at different ends of the spectrum. But I do think race is improving in this country and we have a pretty bright future to look forward to.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Hi All,

(A quick apology for the long read.) I tend to stay away from the "race-tinged" threads as many of them are fueled by emotion filled statements that end up turning the thread into a murky quagmire of painful reading. That said, curiosity sent me into this thread, as I dont watch much TV and hardly any mainstream news.

I am not at all surprised about what is going on, because it is the "same-ol same-ol" dressed up in different clothes. The idea is division, and its an idea that works very well with us as a country, as sad as I am to say that. We let such trivial things divide us as a people, and fear and ignorance are the fuel for this divide.

I am a black female, although I am very much a "mutt" as my lineage is very diverse and multicultural. I am also a very "out-of-the-box" person so generalizations about what it means to be black, or female for the most part, do not apply to me. When I meet someone I honestly do not see color, ethnicity, or gender when I am trying to get to know them.

I see a person based on YOU, the real you. And while I realize there are opposite extremes on any spectrum, generalizations based on an extreme life example truly limits you as a person and the extent to which you learn something new. This in terms of understanding another individual. So if a person comes to me and says they dont like Obama because of XYZ, well I believe them.

I dont attach race to it, and I dont attach ignorance to the person. I understand that some people do this, but not ALL people. I would like to formally state that there are certain cultural aspects of being black that are generally true. However, the generalization that all black people think or act the same way is just plain false.

I am proof of this and I am not unique or different or somehow not black. (Believe it nor not, I have had this said to me.) Some people thrive off of strife, drama, and other negative emitting emotions. Therefore, no amount of logical, fact-filled, information will deter them from the desire to gain that negative emotion.

I am hopeful that we as a people and as a nation will finally wake up and demand some accountability, and real definable actions to fix this mess we are in. Despite the efforts of a powerful few to keep us divided and stuck arguing over things that in the end dont matter. I am hopeful because we have places like ATS where we can share ideas and knowledge and be from different cultures, genders, and economical backgrounds.

Of course, there is a popular thread up now where there is a threat to take the internet away from us. ( LINK ) What better way to get us to go to one source for information? A fine helping of MSN anyone?

In response to the post on page 2 by deadline527, I am very sorry that your experience with black people has left you with understandable objections and biases towards the race as a whole. However, the truth is, generalizing and making statements such as:

"I grew up around black people, and am forced to interact with them when I go to stores like walmart." ... "We all know african americans as a culture are louder. They express emotion by jumping around, stamping their feet, and so on. They are also less likely to conform to standards set forth by society."

are statements that make your dislike of black people painfully obvious. So if you were to meet me for instance, I would be pre-judged by you and treated accordingly. I am regretful that you feel forced to shop with black people in wal-mart. Try shopping with some in Macy's or Target, you may find the experience more pleasant.

I also express my emotions very well with well thought out words and have never felt the need to resort to stomping or yelling to get my point across. I admit that I am not a conformist, but this is true only in terms of conformity to fit inside anyone's pre-labeled box of how I am supposed to act, think, or believe. I hope that one day you will be able to meet someone, who happens to be black, who will have a positive influence on your life.

In reference to the OP, I wonder just how long the people who put this stuff out there think we will put up with it. There has to be a breaking point somewhere, and I often wonder if they are aware of this, dont care, or dont believe a breaking point is even possible. I for one feel a sort of tension in the air, and it is quite tangible to me.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   
We forget that we are all HUMANS.

[edit on 30-8-2009 by InOurNature]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Seems like business as usual to me.

The left wing parts of the media have their agenda, and that is destroy the republican party and any credibility it has left by any means necessary. This includes smears and distortions, because emotional arguments tend to be far more effective than fact based attacks. People tire quickly from things like statistics, studies and facts, and need something simple to cling on to, something like a nice easy word "racist".

I'm not dismissing the fact the other side play these games too, but that's a whole other topic.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by GorehoundLarry
The majority of Obama haters are angry white people. It's not bias, it's a fact.

It IS a fact that most of Obama's detractors are white, but racism is not the reason. Whites are much more likely to support GOP candidates in presidential elections than minorties. In fact, if you do the math, about 85% of the GOP's voting base is white, and it has been that way since well before Obama came on the scene. Take into account local population demographics (in Iowa, for example, where whites are 94% of the population), and that number can be even higher at these town halls depending upon location.

Given that fact, is it any wonder that most of Obama's detractors are white? Its not racial bias, but that whites tend to be significantly more conservative politically than minorities.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by sylvrshadow

Excellent post, I agree with you. Most people are decent, and do their best to get along, unfortunately, the small percentage who are jerks succeed in shaping too much of our perceptions.

You meet someone of a different ethnicity, and that could mean about anything, and they act like a jerk, it is easy to stereotype all people of that group in the same light. I imagine we all fall into this trap, I know I catch myself doing this now and then, for all kinds of stupid reasons, and over a large variety of ways we can divide people up.

Racism isn't about race, it is about ignorance.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
FantasmaTaans,
According to many of the people here in Massachusetts, Barney Frank will be voted out of office soon. I am not worried about his rhetoric. As for comparing Obama with Hitler, she is not being a racists person. She is comparing Obama's policies to Hitlers.

Daily Presidential Tracking Poll 8.30.09
www.rasmussenreports.com...

Unless Obama can do something honorably, he has pretty much come to a stand still.

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Sunday shows that 32% of the nation's voters Strongly Approve of the way that Barack Obama is performing his role as President. Forty-two percent (42%) Strongly Disapprove. That’s the highest level of Strong Disapproval yet recorded for this President and it gives Obama a Presidential Approval Index rating of -10 (see trends).

If Americans could vote to keep or replace the entire Congress, 57% would throw out all the legislators and start over again. Just 25% would vote to keep the Congress.

If the Democrats pass healthcare legislation without the Republicans, that will finish off the Democratic party for 2010. None of them will come back. Its only a mater of time.

I think the news media knows Obama's ratings are falling, so they are trying to pull the race card to get their candidates back into office.

Majority of Americans are hardworking people who know the difference between racism and genuine concern. I am willing to bet that the majority see themselves as being protesters, and they are siding with those who are concerned with those in power. We are 'all' Americans. Anyone who calls these protesters unAmerican needs a history lesson.

Even though I respect the office of presidency, I do not agree with the man in the suit.

sylvrshadow,
I love you. Will you marry me?

[edit on 30-8-2009 by Pathos]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Quit complaining, white people suffered the least throughout history.

Actually, they're the ones causing all the misery.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I hate this, racism goes both ways but everyone thinks that racism is only towards blacks. It's not our fault that the president happens to be black and not surprisingly still destroying the country much like Bush jr.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
Quit complaining, white people suffered the least throughout history.

That's because whites had the brains to conquer every other race.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
just more in a long history of attempts at using divisive tactics to keep us, divided.

it is all about keeping alive the flames of 'us vrs them' so it does nto turn into: us vrs the elite (power, w/e...)

pay it no mind.

'come together, right now, over me...'

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Whatever race you are,

get out of the country

while you still have a chance.

"there must be fifty ways to leave your country"!

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Republican Party Facts
Before anyone blames the Republicans for being racists, please take the time to look at this:

www.gop.com...

The Republican Party was born in the early 1850's by anti-slavery activists and individuals who believed that government should grant western lands to settlers free of charge. The first informal meeting of the party took place in Ripon, Wisconsin, a small town northwest of Milwaukee. The first official Republican meeting took place on July 6th, 1854 in Jackson, Michigan.

The name "Republican" was chosen because it alluded to equality and reminded individuals of Thomas Jefferson's Democratic-Republican Party. At the Jackson convention, the new party adopted a platform and nominated candidates for office in Michigan. In 1856, the Republicans became a national party when John C. Fremont was nominated for President under the slogan: "Free soil, free labor, free speech, free men, Fremont." Even though they were considered a "third party" because the Democrats and Whigs represented the two-party system at the time, Fremont received 33% of the vote. Four years later, Abraham Lincoln became the first Republican to win the White House.

The Civil War erupted in 1861 and lasted four grueling years. During the war, against the advice of his cabinet, Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation that freed the slaves. The Republicans of the day worked to pass the Thirteenth Amendment, which outlawed slavery, the Fourteenth, which guaranteed equal protection under the laws, and the Fifteenth, which helped secure voting rights for African-Americans.

The Republican Party also played a leading role in securing women the right to vote. In 1896, Republicans were the first major party to favor women's suffrage. When the 19th Amendment finally was added to the Constitution, 26 of 36 state legislatures that had voted to ratify it were under Republican control. The first woman elected to Congress was a Republican, Jeanette Rankin from Montana in 1917.

I want everyone to look at these facts very-very closely. Republicans are the party of diversity. If you doubt these facts, you can look them up for yourselves.

[edit on 30-8-2009 by Pathos]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

There is so much to the obama which I disapprove of, his race doesn't even hit the radar.

I wish Walter Williams was running for office I would vote for him in a heart beat. He is black, and I could care less. It is his ideas and what he stands for, is the reason I would vote for him, NOT the color of his skin.

The argument people don't like Obama because he is black is completely baseless and requires some serious kool aid drinking to even look in that direction.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
One of the worst things to happen to this country, at this time in history, was the selection of someone non-white. I say this because many in this country are blind racists, sheltered, oblivious to the struggles of others, have a limited mental capacity and hide under the veil of patriotism to spew their hateful rhetoric. You have people blaming Obama, the elitist puppet, for all the madness that we've had to endure since the day this country was sold down the river to the international bankers. Many of these people say and do nothing when we commit crimes against other nations, but as soon as their health care, 401k, white picket fence, baseball and good ole apple pie are in danger of being flushed down the crapper, they perform the rally cry and galvanize the troops. Well tough luck. You should have performed a rally cry of different sorts decades ago but you failed, especially middle class white America, you failed and did so miserably.

Now everything you do comes under scrutiny, but don't worry! You're still white, in a country dominated and controlled by whites, in a world dominated and controlled by whites, so not all is lost.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by GorehoundLarry
The majority of Obama haters are angry white people. It's not bias, it's a fact. It's also amazing when these morons go to a town hall meeting about health care and decide to debate immigration instead, along with other issues.

I'd love to say most Obama bashers aren't racist, but it really is a color issue. Sad, but true.

Why is it that people who are racially conscious are unconscious or semiconscious on every other none race subject. Look around and tell me it's not true, the angry racially orientated morons are stupid on any subject other than race. In school I observed those who could not cut it and ended up as drop outs, were "racially conscious". Dumb on all class subjects but racially conscious. We owe much to those who can see past their race, and own nothing to those who are racially conscious. Aren't you glad Thomas Edison could see past his race, otherwise we would be without electricity? How about the Wright brothers? It was their creativity that gave us the ability to fly. What would have happened if the Wright brothers had traded this creative energy to be racially conscious?

I'd love to say most racially conscious persons aren't stupid, but it really is an intelligence issue. Sad, but true.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Wimbly

This little bit puzzled me:

Ms. Abram described herself as a stay-at-home mother from Lebanon, and in many ways she was representative of the almost entirely white and irritable crowd,

How can someone from Lebanon be described as "representative of the almost entirely white and irritable crowd"?

Very suspicious...

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

How do you figure that?

Please, explain the reasoning behind this..

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Ah... Racism... good old racism.

You do realize that this has nothing to do with racism, and everything to do with control, right?

Republicans vs Democrats?

No.... Giant Corporate control system 1 vs Giant Corporate control system 2.

They are not playing the race card because there is a perceived racial bias, they are doing it because it is the easiest way to divide and conquer.

Both side of the political spectrum are DESIGNED to be diametrically opposed... that is their PURPOSE.

You cannot lump EVERY SINGLE ISSUE into red and blue, black and white, etc...

Life is GREY, a gradient of opinions, methedologies, and ideologies.

The purpose of interjecting accusations of racism into a political debate is not equality... it is INEQUALITY.

Keep looking at Skin color, instead of Bank account size....

Right where they want you.

-Edrick

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join