It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Hemp Save The Planet?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by VitalOverdose
the only problem is if we all start using hemp to everything then the nitrogen would be sucked out of the soil faster than we could replace it. The plants would not grow after a few seasons.

The system is not sustainable on a mass scale.

[edit on 18-8-2009 by VitalOverdose]

If you use rotational crop farming practices, you can maintain its growth. Legumes, squash, zuccini, cucumbers, are all able to get their nitrogen from the air and they are great for redepositing N back into the soil. For two years its a hemp farm and for two years its a soybean farm. Repeat.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Big oil, big pharma and big mining are just some of the businesses whose revenue streams would be chewed up and spat out by the mighty hemp plant.. not entirely but with a large impact. Cast your mind back to the fate of anything and anyone, whom has challenged these industries by thinking outside the box....

After 100 years of tech we still only 'have' rubber wheels, electric or fuel based engines and an entire economy based around a finite resource called oil. Hemp can produce oil, hell it can produce the large part of a car - henry ford used hemp and other mostly natural, farming excess products to produce a car.

www.chanvre-info.ch...

It's another case of 'if we do this our backers won't make nearly as much money'.

Time for people to stand up and start doing what they actually want to in life...

Originally posted by iamcamouflage
If you use rotational crop farming practices, you can maintain its growth. Legumes, squash, zuccini, cucumbers, are all able to get their nitrogen from the air and they are great for redepositing N back into the soil. For two years its a hemp farm and for two years its a soybean farm. Repeat.

Hmm... It's not like 1000 year old forests don't exist anymore because they pull too much nitrogen. Nice post. The balance of nature can be found and worked with

[edit on 18/8/09 by GhostR1der]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by VitalOverdose

the only problem is if we all start using hemp to everything then the nitrogen would be sucked out of the soil faster than we could replace it. The plants would not grow after a few seasons.

I do not know any thing about the hemp plant is it as bad as Corn?? Rotation of crops and animal manure was used up until 50 years ago. I found animal manure and wood ash makes an incredible difference in how my garden grows.

The present problem with corn based bio-fuel is the corn uses more oil to grow than is produced. The law is a money making scam for Monsanto, Cargill ConAgri and ADM

If the "bogus food safety bills" are passed independent farmers will be driven off the land. Then, when land ownership is consolidated by the food cartel, you will see that hemp suddenly becomes legal again. Of course it will not do the rest of us much good.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Wow, I am so glad someone posted this! I do live in Oregon and when I heard they passed the bill, I was sooo excited because I have read up on it and the hard truth is that Hemp, in which is only Hemp, would save the world. And, I was just reading and I suggest and hope you will read it, an old ancient treaty has just been reasserted. Hemp IS the tree of life!

Go here to this website, in which is a good one anyway, then scroll down to the article.

"Ancient Treaty of Rome is Being Reasserted" as of 7-02-09

www.freedomfiles.org...

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Makes me sad just to think about where humanity would be right now if not for the interests of the rich and delusional who benefit from laws like this one. Clothes that can last for a lifetime, cars that are 10x stronger and run on what they are made of, sustainable source of paper, plastic, medicine, food... it boggles my mind how such a wonderful gift from the earth can be illegal in this "free" world.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Love all the posts so far, im glad to see many have also done their research on the topic.

As for those hemp heart seeds... i looked it up and you CAN buy them online, even from amazon. Strange..

I might try it out and see how it works. I told my dad who has diabetes to give it a shot and see how it goes.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Mr. Ford was one of the most progressive industrialists of our times and for good reasons.

One main reason was all the alternative experimental cars, electric, fuels, plastics, steals, etc that he funded right here in Dearborn Michigan. Why? Henry Ford was raised on a farm and respected farmers, in fact he hired many farmers to plant specialty crops for his experiments.

One of his biggest crops for many years........Yes you guessed it "Hemp".

Henry Ford's Hemp Car

blog.cardomain.com...

www.hempcar.org...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1f4f533ad678.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 18-8-2009 by Realtruth]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Great post, there needs to be more like it! I'm on my mini laptop so typing is annoying so I'll keep this short.

I was aware of some of the health & environmental benefits but the OP laid it out very nicely. I commend you for coming forward despite zealous admins we have on these boards. You can hardly speak of prescription drugs much less hemp.

What you having going for you is the angle your thread is covering, very intelligent! I must say, I know you get this all the time but you look pretty cute. Sorry I've always been one to speak my mind. On top of that you seem to have a good head on your shoulders.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by bl4ke360
reply to post by calihan_12

That's true, this site's already illegal in the first place according to the government.
If they outlaw eating, does that mean we're not allowed to talk about food just because the government says so?
This seems to be the logic applied to hemp here at ATS.

What Govt do you speak of? In America we still have free speech. There are no pictures of underage nudity etc...so why is this site illegal?

Did they ban certain thoughts?

And now to be bratty:

Hemp Hemp Hemp Hemp Hemp Hemp Hemp Hemp Hemp Hemp Hemp Hemp
Hemp Hemp Hemp Hemp Hemp Hemp Hemp Hemp Hemp Hemp Hemp Hemp

and

Hemp

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by calihan_12

I will suggest, if one was so inclined and could get there hands on a lot fertile hemp seeds(possibly from canada), they could start seeding public areas and ditches in America. It would not take long for wild hemp to reproduce and once again grow wild across America. If it is growing wild in large quantities, it would be very difficult to enforce the banning of it. Now that is grass roots!

Just throwing it out there

[edit on 18-8-2009 by iamcamouflage]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
why thank you for the compliments!

Well, I just keep finding out more and more information about these things every day and I cant ignore it. Im really starting to think I should start writing letters to local representatives and anyone really who might be able to make some sort of difference. Legalizing something is only able to happen with the support of a LOT of not only citizens but members of the government. To me it seems like a lot of people agree with legalizing hemp, not to mention a couple other things, and if only all the people I talk to about it who agree could just gather up in washington DC and do something about it... maybe we could have a little bit more of a chance at change. Maybe not... but you never know until you try, right?

There are people out there right now though doing that with little success, but they gain more followers every day. Things like this dont happen overnight. But if enough people follow what you are saying eventually... you never know what could happen.

[edit on 18-8-2009 by calihan_12]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
i've seen some very useful products from the hemp plant and i can definitely say that it is "the healing of nations".

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Just to share..Here in San Diego, most of the health food stores sell Hemp protein powder, Hemp milk, and Hemp butter. For my kids and I, we only drink Hemp milk and since we cut out dairy 3 years ago, we rarely ever get sick. Hemp protein powder is almost a complete food. High in protein, high in fiber and has alot of good essential fatty acids!! I'm a big advocate in my community for Hemp foods and promote it often to my patients as an food alternative.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
hemp is a very unique plant. i think one day our rights will be restored and cannabis will be claimed the healing of nations.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Little more on Hemp and not it's Psycho active variant Cannabis.

en.wikipedia.org...

This article is about the cultivation and uses of industrial hemp, not its psychoactive variant, Cannabis (drug). For the biology of the plant, see Cannabis. For other uses of the word hemp, see Hemp (disambiguation).

Hemp (from Old English hænep, see cannabis (etymology)) is the common name for plants of the entire genus Cannabis, although the term is often used to refer only to Cannabis strains cultivated for industrial (non-drug) use.

Industrial hemp has been tried for many uses, including paper, textiles, biodegradable plastics, construction, health food, and fuel,[1] with modest commercial success.[2][3] In the past three years, commercial success of hemp food products has grown considerably.[4][5]

Hemp is one of the fastest growing biomasses known,[6] producing upto 25 tonnes of dry matter per hectare per year[7], and one of the earliest domesticated plants known.[8] For a crop, hemp is relatively environmentally friendly as it requires few pesticides[9] and no herbicides.[10]

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
i sure would like to think youre right. i can only hope so... it would give me a little more faith in mankind.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet

The present problem with corn based bio-fuel is the corn uses more oil to grow than is produced. The law is a money making scam for Monsanto, Cargill ConAgri and ADM

Great thread S+F. Yet another topic that America is completely ignorant to, yet at the same time believe they know everything about.

Regardless, the quote, I think the greatest tragedy of the entire bio-fuel fiasco is that we're taking food out of people mouths to produce a fuel. A fuel which is still a carbon emitting fuel, and one that requires as mentioned, just as much oil before it makes it to your gas tank.

Ahh sometimes it can make ya crazy looking at all the ridiculous ways of thinking that goes into the world we exist in everyday.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Could hemp fuel replace oil in the USA and could we produce enough?

Watch the vid.

www.hemp4fuel.com...

Hemp vs. Fossil Fuels

Pyrolysis facilities can use the same technology used now to process fossil fuel oil and coal. Petroleum coal and oil conversion is more efficient in terms of fuel-to-feed ratio, but there are many advantages to conversion by pyrolysis.

1) Biomass has a heating value of 5000-8000 BTU/lb, with virtually no ash or sulfur emissions.

2) Ethanol, methanol, methane gas, and gasoline can be derived from biomass at a fraction of the cost of the current cost of oil, coal, or nuclear energy, especially when environmental costs are factored in. Each acre of hemp could yield about 1000 gallons of methanol.

3) When an energy crop is growing, it takes carbon dioxide (CO2) from the air, and releases an equal amount when it is burned, creating a balanced system, unlike petroleum fuels, which only release CO2. When an energy crop like hemp is grown on a massive scale, it will initially lower the CO2 in the air, and then stabilize it at a level lower than before the planting of the energy crop.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 18-8-2009 by Realtruth]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join