It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds Consider Adding 'Cookies' to Web Sites; Will Privacy Crumble?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Feds Consider Adding 'Cookies' to Web Sites; Will Privacy Crumble?

www.foxnews.com

The Office of Management and Budget is considering reversing a nine-year ban on using "cookies" to track users' preferences and interests on federal Web sites.

The shift in policy is being billed as a way for government to enter the 21st century and for federal agencies to use the same technology utilized on news sites, retail sites and social media networks. Online retailers, for example, use cookies to suggest items of interest based on previous purchases. If you recently bought a New York Yankees jersey, a Web site might recommend buying a book about Alex Rodriguez the next time you v
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Wasn't it just a week ago or something that people were annoyed that the White House was requesting people to report misinformation about Healthcare?

Now this. Sounds fishy?

I say fishy because I do a lot of digging around on government web sites as well as other ATS members. Wouldn't this just make it easier for government to see what kind of things we are looking into?

Maybe somebody can explain why this would be beneficial to Americans.

Let me remind everybody that they are only considering it.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I might be being ignorant here but isn't this propaganda?
I always thought they already do that and have been for awhile.
Think of the Bush administration.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Thanks for this Jam.

The Whitehouse issued a memo in 2000 wherein they stated their policy against using cookies. I find it very interesting that they would even bother to TELL us that they were considering using them again.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of concern.

Just another spoke in a great big wheel.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
There really isn't any privacy on the net, anyway. Use Ccleaner and set it to do a 7 pass or better wipe to take care of cookies. If your feeling really paranoid, use Tor to anonymize yourself a little better, and Startpage instead of Google for searches (credit to ElectricUniverse for pointing out Startpage in this thread).

Other than that, if they want to track you, they will find a way.

TA

new topics

top topics

join