It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Investigation: 28 Top Federal Workers Have Bogus College Degrees

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I just read this article and I am dumbstuck!! How do these people get employed by the federal government? What happened to background checks and screenings? How can the govt say they have no way of checking these people's education credentials?? And these guys work with nuclear weapons!!!! With the number of real college graduates looking for jobs still, this is just really pisses me off. The entire bureacracy is corrupt and a total overhaul needs to done to this American system.

Investigation: 28 Top Federal Workers Have Bogus College Degrees

At least 28 senior-level federal employees in eight agencies have bogus college degrees, including three managers at the office that oversees nuclear weapons safety, congressional investigators have found.
The problem is likely even bigger, mainly because the government has no uniform way to check whether employees' alma maters are "diploma mills" that require little, if any, academic work, the General Accounting Office reported.

The findings by the investigative arm of Congress were to be presented to a Senate committee Tuesday.

An earlier GAO report revealed how easy it is to buy a degree from a diploma mill; this one shows high-level federal workers securing such degrees at taxpayer expense. The tally was $169,471 at just two of the schools

Among those with bogus degrees in the GAO review were three workers with emergency operations roles and security clearances at the National Nuclear Security Administration, part of the Department of Energy.

One of those workers paid $5,000 for a master's degree from LaSalle University, an unaccredited school, the report said. He attended no classes, took no tests and told the GAO his degree was "a joke."

[Edited on 5-11-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Well, that's really interesting. I don't understand how they can't check these diploma's etc., either. Especially with people working in such roles as those described in the articles. I wonder how many people use false diplomas to secure work...

join