It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A thought on life.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by DJones

Would you not agree that MOST and I mean MOST people who are religious, adopt their parents religion?? I am not saying all, but the vast majority. Just simply for that fact that this is what they are taught is right.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
double post
please delete

[edit on 29-7-2009 by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
why answer for how life started in the universe:

i dont know. no one can know with current human knowledge.
claiming to have an answer just gives one a reason to stop searching.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by SchefSalad
See as i figure it is that atheist are more or less quitters. I understand evolution and its workings on this planet. The issue i have though is that it seems to be a cop-out. Atheist think just evolution and that anyone who believes in a God is dumb or arent as "smart" as them. Honestly evolution to me is like putting together a giant puzzle but missing 25 percent of the pieces. Sure you get the general gist of what the picture is supposed to be but, it isn't complete.

You do know that religion fills in the gaps that science has yet to fill in?

In the past the Greeks thought one of the gods(I forget which) brought the sun in the carriage and then later that they he took it back and replaced it with the moon.

I haven't read much about Greek Gods in a long time so I forgot much of it.

Now we know why we change from day to night, because of science, not a made up story or character

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by stereovoyaged

I would agree with that but then you made the mistake of lumping all non-atheist into that same group which could not be further from the truth. I have personally convinced multiple friends to stray away from atheism to at least some form of agnosticism.

Edit: I meant more of a dualist belief than agnosticism, little more specific.

[edit on 29-7-2009 by DJones]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest
why answer for how life started in the universe:

i dont know. no one can know with current human knowledge.
claiming to have an answer just gives one a reason to stop searching.

See i created this thread to invoke thought. Not to battle but i also wanted to expressw my dislike for atheist because of what happened in this thread that tends to happen all too much.
I was forcing anyone to read it. I didnt say you have to believe in god i was suggesting that due to odd surcumstances in the univers and our current place in it seems all to well pieced together to just throw my hands and the air and say evolution did it.
This was a thread for the people who are smart enough to not to be weighed down by one belief but for the people who have an ever changing belief. For the ones who don't know but continue the quest for a great understanding of the world that for some reason we all live on.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I do not agree with your statement that Atheists are "quitters". If someone were to tell you that there was a Invisible Flying Pink Unicorn right above you how many experiments would you perform in an effort to prove that there really did exist a Invisible Flying Pink Unicorn?

At what point are you going to stop performing experiments to find the Invisible Flying Pink Unicorn and start demanding the person who is claiming the existence of a Invisible Flying Pink Unicorn to be the one to provide the proof of the Invisible Flying Pink Unicorn?

The burden of proof lies on the one making the claim.

I decree that it is indeed the believers in God that have given up and quit using Science in an effort to prove the existence of God.

You have quit performing experiments to provide evidence for God's existence.

Nobody likes a quitter!

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   
After reading your post I believe that most people who are agnostic and atheist are smarter than 85% of people who believe in God.

Why?
Because most question everything to try to understand as much as possible unlike most people who believe in God, all they do is say something like God created the universe, after that they dont bother to look further than that.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by SchefSalad

Ah but growing up i disputed a belief in god. i found my faith through reading and listening. and PERSONAL EXPERIENCES which in all honesty was [SNIP]. Not religious dogma or anything like that. Travelling the road less traveled. Finding the world for myself. Your beliefs are built on the opinions of other ie Darwin, dawkins , ZEitgeist. By the tone of your response id be bold enough to say that these people you have accepted to be your god. I guarantee you sweat every word whether true or not. why because you have no thoughts of your own. Only what you've read or heard. To fit in with the hip crowd. A drone. Let me guess next your going to tell me you have lived long enough to watch humans evolve from chimp. Clearly your so grounded in your belief that no one could ever try to tell you anything so why listen. Your right and im wrong, you win i loose. There is no god just dirt in space and monkeys.

So your saying your personal experiences are more important that mine? Your drug induced visions are more proof than anything I could come up with?? I find Darwin and Dawkins pretentious, much as I do you. I chose to be the way I am, because that certainty, that feeling, that warmth and love people claim to feel in their heart as the holy spirit I don't feel. Or any spirit for that matter, I choose to get that feeling from the love of friends and family. What your saying is very self righteous, Just cause you drank some [SNIP] doesn't make you profound, close to violation of T&C yes, profound, no.

Mod Edit: Removed drug references.

[edit on 29-7-2009 by Gemwolf]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Another thing, most atheist follow the "I don't know" philosophy, I am not saying I know who created the universe, theist are. I don't know, but the arguments against God IMO weigh out the ones for.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Geolion1

Again grouping, fundamentalist, that believe in a specific dogma with all non-atheists. I am equally as frustrated with them as you, but that does not mean you should disregard everything and be 100% materialistic atheist.

I see the same things as you, I look at a flower and see a miracle that is evidence of something greater than evolution. I see our consciousness as something that is greater than the sum of our physical parts. I simply disagree at all levels that love is something that came about because mothers of our ancestors that cared more for their children were more likely to survive than there counterparts. There is divine in all of us, a believe in god does not necessarily mean the believe in what man says about god.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Could participants in the thread please familiarise themselves with the Terms & Conditions Of Use (Please Review This Link):

2e.) Illicit Activity: Discussion of illicit activities; specifically the use of mind-altering drugs & substances, engaging in computer hacking, promoting criminal hate, discussing sexual relations with minors, and furtherance of financial schemes and scams are strictly forbidden. You will also not link to sites or online content that contains discussion or advocacy of such material. Any post mentioning or advocating personal use of illicit mind-altering drugs will result in immediate account termination.

2e.i) Narcotics and illicit mind-altering substances: Due to abuse of the subject matter by some (promoting various aspects of personal use, and discussing actual personal use), no new topics on this subject are allowed in any form.

Also note:

Civility and Decorum are required

Thank you.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by stereovoyaged

My [SNIP] visions gave me something that wasnt there before. A step from the normal. Something that exist naturally on this planet which evolved along side of humans. So your going to say that something that occurs in nature is not important and should be completely ignored because of peoples opinion on it. I chose to look everywhere for understanding. A person looking for something would leave no stone unturned. My search to understand my place should stop within the legal limit. Your an atheist why the hell would you bash a natural formation. Perhaps i went searching where you didn't and found something you missed. Does that make me anymore wrong than a person who just believes what people tell them?

Mod Edit: Don't discuss personal drug use!

[edit on 29-7-2009 by Gemwolf]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   
"Couldn't evolution be the answer to how and not why" - Trey Parker

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

Alright fair enough if was off topic, but where exactly am I supposed to express such thoughts, if I made a thread it would get locked and probably a ban warning.

Complete no fly zone?

Edit: Schef's last quote completely summarizes my point

[edit on 29-7-2009 by DJones]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by DJones

it does strike me as a shock that they would ban conversations about such whether you agree or disagree. it would definitely make for a far more entertaining conversation.
assuming it had something to do with the thing that violates t&C

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by DJones

The topic has been discussed again - and again - and again. After trial and error it was decided to remove the discussion of narcotics from the board for the time being.

You are welcome to raise your issues in the ATS issues thread but I can guarantee you that you will get the same response from admin.

Now, let's focus on the topic.

Thank you.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SchefSalad

Hello SchefSalad! As an atheist, I feel like I need to clarify somethings. You claim that atheist believe that people who believe in god are less smart and dumb. that's a huge generalization. I won't deny that many atheist have this view, but I personally don't believe that all those who believe in a god or gods are dumb or less intelligent.

Do I believe the belief in a god is dumb? yes. But do I believe the people who believe in god are dumb? not necessarily. Some of the most brilliant people believe in some sort of god. Claiming that ALL atheist hold this view is not very logical, and makes as much sense as saying that all muslims are terrorists or all christians are idiots.

you also claim that it is too much of a coincidence that intelligent life exist in our little corner of the universe. However, it is mathematically possible that intelligent life had to appear somewhere. It had to happen at least once in the history of the universe, we may or may not be the only living beings in the universe, but i see it is absurd to claim that the existence of life proves the existence of a god.

In addition, I believe those who claim their god is true might be the ones who are "quiters" because they decided to believe in some entity with zero objective evidence. Atheist, on the other hand, do not believe in any god as a result of a lack of evidence.

Last but not least, just to clarify, some atheist (like myself) think that the believe in any god is absurd and dumb, but those people who hold on to the belief in a god are not necessarily dumb.
Insult the belief, not the people.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereovoyaged
but theist are born theist, cause their parents/grandparents/school/teachers/friends/family etc tell them what is socially acceptable to believe. NEXT!

THat's so presumptuous, it's ignorant. Many believers arrive at their belief by a long process and a lot of rational analysis. Please do NOT assume. THanks.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join