It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I "know" nothing. And neither do you.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
-Socrates

Main Entry: 1know
Pronunciation: \ˈnō\
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): knew \ˈnü also ˈnyü\ ; known \ˈnōn\ ; know·ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English cnāwan; akin to Old High German bichnāan to recognize, Latin gnoscere, noscere to come to know, Greek gignōskein
Date: before 12th century
transitive verb
1 a (1): to perceive directly : have direct cognition of (2): to have understanding of (3): to recognize the nature of : discern b (1): to recognize as being the same as something previously known (2): to be acquainted or familiar with (3): to have experience of
2 a: to be aware of the truth or factuality of : be convinced or certain of b: to have a practical understanding of
3archaic : to have sexual intercourse with
intransitive verb
1: to have knowledge
2: to be or become cognizant —sometimes used interjectionally with you especially as a filler in informal speech
— know·able \ˈnō-ə-bəl\ adjective
— know·er \ˈnō-ər\ noun
— know from : to have knowledge of

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I think that things are continually changing, shifting, growing, dying...being born...therefore we must continually learn, look, listen...I don't think that we can truly "know" anything for certain. I admit I don't know it all...but I am always striving to learn. I turn off the noise box and read read read...or just sit on the porch of an evening and contemplate things...I like this thread! S & F

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I've always known that what I think I know is nothing. Once I'm sure of something I find out I'm wrong, again. You're right. No, you're wrong and so am I.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

Is a bit of a paradox when you put it that way.
But, really, what is life but paradox? That is at least what I have seen thus far.

[edit on 28-7-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Thanks for commenting.

I mean really, when you get down to it. Can you prove that we did not exist five seconds ago and all of this including memories of the past are nothing more than a fabrication?

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
made a similar thread a while back, must say you definitely out did me! good job

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
He who thinks he knows knows not but he who knows that he knows not, knows.

Confucius

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I thoroughly concur. I believe it so deeply, it's my sig. Took me endless repetitions of being proven flat-out, completely dead wrong about something I absolutely KNEW was the pure, God-honest truth. It got to the point that any time a person asks me, "are you sure", I simply say, "no".

Are you sure there's no elephant in the closet? No. For all I know it sneaked in last time I opened the closet door, and I didn't notice. Or maybe I forgot all about it.

Go Socrates.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Yes, my sig says something similar. What I think I know now is likely to change as new information comes along and then I will still not know.

Great insight, good post

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Incognitum ergo sum.

I think I know, therefore I might be. . . ?

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Actually I would say that you/I/we know everything ...

It's just hidden below all the information which we mistake for knowledge.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I created a thread very similar to this before (link below). Bravo, however for realizing the fact on your own.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I Believe when you quit learning you start dieing.

Just as when you get to a point that you think you know everything you really know nothing.

And when you think you know everything you cease to learn anything else.

I liken our minds to a sponge that collects information. When the sponge is full it empties itself of untruths and begins to learn
new truths.

It's a never ending cycle.

An open, receptive mind is a joy.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

That takes more surety than I can muster. Which is a very big problem of mine. Or a blessing. I can't decide.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

Beginners mind

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   

There is a very famous poem written by the third patriarch of Zen, Seng-ts’an, called the Hsin-Hsin Ming, which translates as Verses in Faith Mind. In this poem Seng-ts’an writes these lines: “Do not seek the truth; only cease to cherish opinions.”

www.adyashanti.org...

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I think I very much like that quote....... Thank you for including it.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaPoint

From a certain point of view we are eternally a "beginner". Just some decide to convince themselves they are not. *not talking about you, just in general*

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

I Believe when you quit learning you start dieing.

Yep, I have said that often. We are here to learn and when we stop learning it is the beginning of death, hence my user name.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Well done watcher, well done. The very belief's we hold onto so dearly end up impeding us. The path to true enlightment can only begin when one has set aside their concept of " reality" ...... because only when one believe's in nothing, ....... is anything possible.

this is a good place to begin, ... congratuations.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join