It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protestors Clash over Texas Dragging Death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
www.cbsnews.com...

(AP) State police in full riot gear rushed a downtown street in this eastern Texas town Tuesday to break up a tense standoff between hundreds of black and white protesters who exchanged screams of "Black power!" and "White power!"

A skinhead carrying a Confederate flag and a shirtless white man were arrested on suspicion of disorderly conduct before the protesters separated peacefully, Paris police spokesman Lt. Danny Huff said.

The conflict began with a march through downtown by about 100 black activists who were protesting the state's handling of the case of a black man who was run over and dragged by a vehicle. The demonstrators avoided a designated "protest zone" near the courthouse and marched to the town square to chants of "Black Power!" and "No Justice, no peace!"

I followed this case and I believe the dispensation of dropping the charges was a valid decision. I don't think that the evidence showed a racially motivated murder. I think it was just a tragic accident cause by way to much alcohol and carelessness.

But it is obvious that racial tension is a real and present danger in the United States of America. Thankfully cooler heads presided over a very intense situation in east Texas.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Raise you're hands if you think this is the start of a country wide clash.

My hand is up teacher, "Sit down!"

Eek maybe to soon.

Well at least noone got hurt right?

What's the difference between a 'Black Activist" and a "Skinhead"?

Maybe we should refer to KKK members as "White activists"?

[edit on 21-7-2009 by Republican08]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
"White Power" = Idiots

"Black Power" = Idiots

We're all people here on this planet. Our differences are literally skin deep. Until we can get over this black/white nonsense, there is no hope for humanity.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

I think it should be said that this could of been a much larger group.

48 white supramecist whatever.

200 so black supramecist whatever.

But think of all those people, that didn't participate in the hate of racism.

That I think should be noted.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Didn't it USED to be 'Power to the PEOPLE?'

So much tension.

I'm very glad it didn't turn ugly.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Agreed, I think these idiots deserve eachother.

Let them wipe one another out and let the rest of us get on with our lives.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
black.. white.. whats the difference, were all born, we all bleed red, and were all gonna die.

i'd say we have a lot more in common then not.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

I think it should be said that this could of been a much larger group.

48 white supramecist whatever.

200 so black supramecist whatever.

But think of all those people, that didn't participate in the hate of racism.

That I think should be noted.

48 vs 200?

Can I say. . . Custer?

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
the government knows that a revolution is on the horizon,they love it when us americans cant stick together.....

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Sadly i'm FROM Paris, tx....and moving back there in a few weeks. What they don't tell you is that the guy that is accused of running over the poor black kid had the guys blood ALL OVER the undercarriage of his truck. His other friend also confessed, and then recanted that they ran him over.

A side note...the primary accused also served time for "Accidentally" shooting his best friend in the face during a drug deal gone wrong. Shannon is crazy, violent and unfortunatly the scion of one of the more powerful families in the small berg.

I'm not supporting the protestors (either side) they're both acting like idiots but i do think the case should be looked at by someone not affiliated with the city or county. God knows paris has enough issues without either side coming in and stirring up more.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by outlander6436

That certainly put an up close and personal spin on the story.

Yes, perhaps the case needs to be retried. If that is even possible.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
To be honest it is embarassing to be from the town. There have been racial incidents at the local pipe plant (turner pipe) and the murder thing....its just sad. The bad part is there are a lot of good people in paris and they're struggling to keep jobs and industry there, but a few idiots go and stir things up its just going to drive potential manufacturing jobs away.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Some of the signs at the protest read, "Friends don't drag friends under pickup trucks" and "Who killed Brendon McClelland?"

Well it is true.. typically friends don't drag friends under pickup trucks..

I love analyzing the way news is reported. For instance.. we see references to "Skin Heads", white "activist" and the KKK.

We see "Black Protesters" ...

It was actually from what I gather, a protest between the KKK and the Black Panthers.. two bigoted groups known for their ignorance screaming at each other..

But in a town of 26,000 people, this small group of inbred jackasses really is not an appropriate example of the town as a whole..

The actual case sounds like stupidity + alcohol + truck = death. They were apparently friends.. as to whether it was murder or not I think should be investigated fully.. but you cannot be friends with a black man, then decide one day you just don't like black people any more, so you go out to a bar with your black friend for one last drink then run him over simply because he's black.. Blacks just love to tie anything regarding a white man doing something to a black man as racially motivated.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
www.cbsnews.com...

(AP) State police in full riot gear rushed a downtown street in this eastern Texas town Tuesday to break up a tense standoff between hundreds of black and white protesters who exchanged screams of "Black power!" and "White power!"

A skinhead carrying a Confederate flag and a shirtless white man were arrested on suspicion of disorderly conduct before the protesters separated peacefully, Paris police spokesman Lt. Danny Huff said.

The conflict began with a march through downtown by about 100 black activists who were protesting the state's handling of the case of a black man who was run over and dragged by a vehicle. The demonstrators avoided a designated "protest zone" near the courthouse and marched to the town square to chants of "Black Power!" and "No Justice, no peace!"

I followed this case and I believe the dispensation of dropping the charges was a valid decision. I don't think that the evidence showed a racially motivated murder. I think it was just a tragic accident cause by way to much alcohol and carelessness.

But it is obvious that racial tension is a real and present danger in the United States of America. Thankfully cooler heads presided over a very intense situation in east Texas.

For those of you not from Texas, let me point out that the majority of the racism you see in Texas is in the south and east of the state. Out in the Western part (including the panhandle) we are VERY friendly. White people, in many communities, are in the minority. HIspanics are the majority.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Yes the Black Panther party has been in on this for some time now. They generally don't do much aside from be rude to EVERYONE and prove to be a bother to the little clerk ladies at the courthouse. Frankly BOTH sides, the black panthers and the KKK are using this to stir up trouble.

Also, per the article they were "friends". From what i've been told of the confession from the other passenger in the truck Shannon thought it'd be funny to bump him with the truck a few times....unfortunatly it didn't end there. I dont' think they did it because he was black. After all Shannon shot his then best friend (who was very white) in the face during a drug deal gone bad a few years earlier. The simple fact is that Shannon is SERIOUSLY messed up. After shooting his friend he fled the scene and went home and went to bed. Went about his business like nothing happened and even was a participant in the funeral. All without batting an eye. He was later turned in and confessed to the "accident".

In short, not a racial issue but one that needs to be dealt with nonetheless. Guy's killed atleast one person and very likely TWO yet he's still out there, and whether its beating someone nearly to death (another thing he's done) or nearly being beaten to death himself (he got ALL of his teeth knocked out in one rather spectacular incident) stuff is going to keep happening with him. Violence, death and destruction follow in his wake.

[edit on 21-7-2009 by outlander6436]

new topics

top topics

join