It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you kill if "God" told you?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

The apologists say that instead of "thou shalt not kill" SHOULD be translated "Thou shalt not MURDER".

I'm not sure why that distinction is important, but apparently it's enough to allow all kinds of stupidity to happen.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
Fo sho.

If I heard a voice telling me to kill someone, I'd do it hands down!

The murder of Doctor Tiller was a great one, only a true christian could've done that! Trully residing in gods word!
...Are you being sarcastic or truly giving a real response? Cause on the left side of your post is sais your Atheist.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   

The murder of Doctor Tiller was a great one, only a true christian could've done that! Trully residing in gods word!

What about the innocent people killed by "The Son of Sam"/ Sam Berkowitz serial killer? He killed after claiming god spoke to him through his neighbours dog..

They werent so great murders were they

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

well it makes war and letting sick children go without medicine and die ok.

and plus murder is a stronger word to use against pro-choice people. they arent killing a zygote, they are MURDERING.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Geolion1
Exactly, I get into the same arguments only with groups of people, and still they decided to stay close minded and only believe what they want to believe, nothing more, they think everything else is against God's plan and should not be allowed or that they should be punished.

ahahah in the Baptist circles, that's called "Fellowshipping"

And they'll do it to anyone who thinks differently than themselves. Ohh I've seen it lol

Nothing like a good church meetin, then getting out the BBQ, firin it up for some down home cookin, and residin in the Lord in "fellowship". Course, that's when all the best gossip gets spread, don'tcha know.

Oh but we GOTTA know what people are doin behind closed doors! They might be gettin down to some bad business!

argh Seriously, those of you who might be former southern baptists know EXACTLY what i'm talking about here

[edit on 21-7-2009 by Jomina]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I did not know there was a word for that.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
To me it really depends on who he asks me to kill ..

If he said - kill everyone at Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan - and shoot Geihtner and Bernanke in the head - well ...

I think I would do all that first - then I would go and see a shrink.

I'm agnostic - if I heard a voice in my head claiming to be god - then I would be fairly skeptical - he'd have a hard time passing my tests - I'd want a Ferrari, and lots of stuff - if it all turned up, then I still wouldn't believe it was god - but I would have nice stuff.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Geolion1

As long as I knew it to be Gods voice, I would do it without question. I would also trust that it would turn out *just* fine. What would you do?

*edit* for the extremists... God wouldn't ask you do do that. God didn't have Abraham kill Isaac, afterall.

[edit on 21-7-2009 by Wookiep]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep

As long as I knew it to be Gods voice, I would do it without question. I would also trust that it would turn out *just* fine. What would you do?

*edit* for the extremists... God wouldn't ask you do do that. God didn't have Abraham kill Isaac, afterall.

What do you mean by turn out fine? You mean going to jail for the rest of your life?
You could be killing moms and babies and innocent people.
How would you know it was God that was speaking to you?

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   

What do you mean by turn out fine? You mean going to jail for the rest of your life?
You could be killing moms and babies and innocent people.
How would you know it was God that was speaking to you?

Well, I would raise none of those questions if I *knew* it to be God's voice because well, unless he had a REALLY good reason, if at all, God would NOT do that. savvy? Furthermore, there is only *one* example of this happening in the bible and that was Abrahams test which turned out *ok*.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Fo sho.

If I heard a voice telling me to kill someone, I'd do it hands down!

...Are you being sarcastic or truly giving a real response? Cause on the left side of your post is sais your Atheist.

Now that time has passed, yes sarcastic

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Well, I would raise none of those questions if I *knew* it to be God's voice because well, unless he had a REALLY good reason, if at all, God would NOT do that.

This is the reasoning of many who faithfully follow what they believe to be a divine command. They too *know* it is God's voice, and feel that any command received from Him is just and good. This rationale tends to result in disaster for people around them.

Furthermore, there is only *one* example of this happening in the bible and that was Abrahams test which turned out *ok*.

What do you mean? In Scripture, Abraham is not alone in receiving a divine command to kill.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Originally posted by paperplanes

This is the reasoning of many who faithfully follow what they believe to be a divine command. They too *know* it is God's voice, and feel that any command received from Him is just and good. This rationale tends to result in disaster for people around them.

You failed to read that I stated "God would not do this, if at all, unless there was a REALLY good reason", which I, nor anyone sane would think God needs "our" help with. Now, with that said...If you feel that man has no relationship with anyone higher than himself, then you are absolutely correct. Man causes death by their own reasonings, not God.

What do you mean? In Scripture, Abraham is not alone in receiving a divine command to kill.

What do you mean what do I mean? Did God tell Moses, Go here and kill such and such? Or any other example? Noah? The old testament may seem harsh by your standards, but we can by no means say that humankind wasnt F.u.b.a.r in those days.. Actually, God gave many orders and those orders did indeed eventually leads to many deaths, but not by God saying "go kill so and so". Man causes it's own destruction, please don't tell me you arent aware of this. What other time aside from Abraham did God personally instruct someone till go kill someone?

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Does any body know where the saying: "The writing on the wall" originate from?

Well it comes from the Bible. And the words are:

MENE, MENE, TEKEL, and PARSIN.

When your days and number are accounted for you will be taken care of. Not physically by him. But he knows who will. And God knows who is next in line to fulfill his prophesies. God observes and God knows.

I think God knows what we are doing and planing. God knows this from observing us.
God gave us free will so God can only observe what we choose to do with our free will. God cant be inter weaning with our plans or actions. God just knows what our plans and actions lead to. And that's what we are being told.

God has to test some chosen people so that he knows where their faith lies. And i guess he does that to see if he can trust you with his word.
God respects our free will to make our own choices. So God has to test us to see if we can be trusted.

And if you pay attention. There are a lot of people God cant trust with his word.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   

You failed to read that I stated "God would not do this, if at all, unless there was a REALLY good reason", which I, nor anyone sane would think God needs "our" help with. Now, with that said...If you feel that man has no relationship with anyone higher than himself, then you are absolutely correct. Man causes death by their own reasonings, not God.

I did not fail to read any portion of your argument. To reiterate: many individuals have killed upon the belief that God desired it. They believed that any godly command is necessarily just ("God wouldn't do this, if at all, unless there was a really good reason."); they were therefore able to rationalise the killing of others. They believed this reasoning as fully as you do, and yet they were wrong. Why do you assume your experience would be any different? It is quite naive to say, "Others have followed what they believed to be a divine command from God, but they were lunatics! I am wholly sane. I would know whether it is or isn't the voice of God." Don't you see? Do you think that these people believed themselves to be sane? They did! It is foolish to assume that you can trust your intuition to guide you after you've "heard the voice of God". You need something more solid than "I'll know if it's God or not.". The most accepted idea is that you should refer to Scripture to determine whether or not a communication is truly from God (if it contradicts Scripture, it is obviously not from God.). While that idea is flawed, it is certainly stronger than simply trusting your own feelings to determine the source of the voice in your head. I only want you to understand the inherent danger of what you're suggesting.

God gave many orders and those orders did indeed eventually leads to many deaths, but not by God saying "go kill so and so". Man causes it's own destruction, please don't tell me you arent aware of this. What other time aside from Abraham did God personally instruct someone till go kill someone?

God did not command anyone to kill? It is apparent that you have read very little of the Bible. Research the Amalekites, Midianites, Ai and Achan, and Sodom and Gomorrah to observe a few pertinent events. You can study further instances if you desire--they are abundant. God is explicit in his commands. There are reasons why God might have justifiably commanded death, but it is incorrect to state that he didn't command death at all. The Bible testifies to God's frequent use of death as a punishment or lesson. Most Christians argue that these instances are just and do not qualify as murder, which is indeed a sin and (it is argued) the true subject of the command "Thou shalt not kill." That aspect is certainly a topic that can be debated; the Christian God's approval of (arguably justified) killing is not debatable.

[edit on 21/7/09 by paperplanes]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

doesnt the fact that abraham didnt go through some giant questioning phase stand out? the fact that he didnt demand proof that it was god and just went along with it makes it seem to me like gods orders didnt surprise him in any way. so it seems it is something god would command

[edit on 21-7-2009 by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   
God created us with freewill. My excersize of freewill would be to refuse. To thine ownself be true. If I decide to kill, it won't be because God told me to, it'll be because I decided it was neccessary. I hope to God I never find it neccessary.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   

I was wondering this the other day because I know many Christians and they follow God's word, and they do everything that they think God tells them.

But what if they all thought God told them they had to kill all those who do not chose to believe in God, or their God.

To those believers-
Would you still keep believing in God?
Would you really kill?
Would you change religions because you know what the right thing to do is?
...WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

I hope to hear all your responses.

This is one to think about, but I definitely would not kill if God himself came down and said I had to. I don't think that the God the Christians know would ask them to kill.

On a side note I am still up in the air with this whole God thing, I grew up as a born again Christian and now I don't believe in anything. Everything in the bible has been rewritten so many times, it's starting to get laughable. I mean can you honestly say that you believe that the reason women have periods and pain during childbirth is because Eve ate an apple??? How ridiculous is that?? Anyway, sorry i got off topic, answer no I wouldn't kill, and if I was a "Christian" and asked to kill, i would seriously look hard into my religion, and question God as o why i need to kill.

Good question though!!

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a true creator such as god would never ask for a being to kill under any circumstance.

anyone who says otherwise is either a liar or is crazy.

No. That's not true . again God reads hearts and knew who was plotting against the Isrealites.

And in self defense in a war what do you do? Killing sucks but you have to defend yourself against evil.

Now as for me in this age, the age of forgiveness. No i wouldn't do it under any circumstance, because even if someone came at me with a gun, dying for Christ is a great virtue at the hands of the ignorant.

Even Jesus said to the apostle.

" I have not come to destroy souls but to save them "

So this age is different then the OT days of war. As taught by christ himself who is love itself.

now as for.

" My morals are better than God "

Exactly you prideful little man. You put yourself above God out of pride.In terms of God being real, there is no way he can make you with more love then him considering you came from him.

like st. Paul said about thsese times.

" proud blasphemers. "

so it's no suprise. God can't put love in your heart mr morals and not have it himself. it's stupid and illogical.

At the end OP, God will have a great judgement seat. Earth will dissapear and everybody who has ever lived will be standing together and judged in front of every human that has ever lived.

God will show you why the events in the Old testament happened how they did and will he does what he does and reveal everybodies heart to the world.

he is justice itself.

If we humans have justice, then God who put it there has infinite times more.

peace.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
and btw the gov has documents which say that all religious people are terrotist.

they use the same thing as one poster said.

" hears voices "

I agree insane people with no sanity or moral code are harmful, but what you don't realize is a giant spiritual war between good and evil.

Padre Pio a stigmatist priest said btw he seen devils and took beatings fromthem weekely for souls.

He said if we could see the visible demons around us they would blot out the sun.

that's how many are lose.

Christ said they go out and try and destroy souls with despiar and suicide.

So yea they can put voices in souls heads, but again the unstable soul can't distinguish between satan and God.

and so week and unstable souls need to be prayed for.

But the fact is that the days of killing are supposed to be over according to christ.

" thou shall not kill "

" love your enemies "

" Do good to those who harm you "

" blessed are the peacemakers "

" I have not come to destroy but save "

so if people actually followed what Jesus said, peace would exist.

peace.

<< 1    3 >>

join