It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RIAA says DRM is DEAD????????????

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Ok,

For those of you who don't know, DRM stands for "Digital Rights Management".

That is the methods that RIAA and the Music/movie Industry have used to prevent the legal backing up of software/movies/music.

The way they have done it is to put in code that prevents copies from being made (legal or not).

Think of it like radar and radar jamming, an ongoing fight.

For years the RIAA has defended the use of DRM, much to the dislike of millions of honest customers who actually paid for their music. Now, in a shocking turnaround, the outfit seems to have come to the realization that DRM does more harm than good and has officially declared its death

HardOCP

This has come up many times before, but once in a similar nature-specifically regarding Itunes music you purchase.

That "used" to be DRM infected (protected) and they dropped that.
What they did not bother to tell everyone is that by dropping DRM, they added "identifiable" information regarding the buyer -like their name, address and itunes account number.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
This had to happen eventually. DRM has been an albatross around the next of the entertainment industry since it began. It was designed to fight piracy, which it has failed to do. I'm sure that the RIAA has something else much more insidious in mind. Something along the lines of sympathetic judicial appointments.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I am so happy to hear this. I cannot express how much I hate DRM. All it managed to do was annoy the legitimate customers. I don't support piracy but all I can say to this is good riddance.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by soontide

I fear I agree with you.

We can see what Itunes did, what will the RIAA try next.
(IMO, the lawsuits are not doing it)

Unfortunatly, I generally see things getting "more" draconian, not less.

I do not know what they will do next, but I bet it is low-life and scummy.

new topics

top topics

join