It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Earth Really That "Special"?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Just think about what I'm about to tell you all.

When we see earth from space we see a circle just like all the other planets out there. Those planets and ours can not make any other shape because the heavier mass ends up in the center and the lighter stuff like the gasses on the outside. That's because we have the sun which feeds on the gasses of our planets.

The sun feeds on the gas of our planets and the proof of this is mercury which has barely any gasses on it if any because its closest to the sun. That planet's gasses have been destroyed because of the sun. Venus has more than mercury because your getting farther away from the sun and the reason jupiter and saturn have more gasses is because they aren't near the sun.

Well now time to get to the topic the earth is just like any other planet out there in its shape and elements but on other planets the elements are just in other forms. You can say earth is special because it has life on it but just because it has life doesn't make it special. The only reason we think that makes earth special is because we haven't found another planet out there that could be hospitable to life. We have only seen maybe 0.1% of the planets in the universe so you cant think earth is special so many planets out there could host life.

So now that you know that how is earth special and different from any other planet. You can't say earth is special until you know that every other planet cant host life (which you don't know that). In my opinion there are many many many planets out there that can host life. Mars has shown that it probably has hosted life before. Some scientists are saying what Mars looks like is the future of the earth. I believe it. Unless we can somehow save the earth. Now do you really think earth is as special as some think?

Earth is probably not the only planet that has life on it. I think there is planets out there that have the ability to host life and might have life on it. I do believe in aliens. Please do not bring up religion in this thread. Thank you if you don't.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Every planet in our solar system is unique in it's own way. There aren't two Jupiters, two Saturns, two earths, etc. In that limited sense, they are special.

In terms of composition, arrangement, size, etc, they probably are not terribly special at all. There are a billion stars in this galaxy, alone, and billions of galaxies in the universe. None of them are an exact clone of earth, sort of like how every snowflake is unique. But there are bound to be enough planets out there with similar conditions to earth to foster life. Probably intelligent life, at that.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

Yes but i meant like special as being that it holds life and things like that. i know there isnt an exact copy somewhere. thats why i love researching other planets you never know what your gonna get. and when i graduate i want to be an astronomer. =]

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by lycanlance

The sun feeds on the gas of our planets and the proof of this is mercury which has barely any gasses on it if any because its closest to the sun. That planet's gasses have been destroyed because of the sun. Venus has more than mercury because your getting farther away from the sun and the reason jupiter and saturn have more gasses is because they aren't near the sun.

Can you provide a source to this, i have never heard of this theory.

Did you just come up with it, or is it a proven scientific fact/ theory ?

please clarify.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by phi1618

Fire (sun) takes up the gases that are around it right? Since the inner planets are closer to the sun the gases on these planets are less than the gases on the outer planets.

www.solstation.com...

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
But Venus has a heavier more dense atmosphere than earth but earth has a more dense atmosphere than mars. So that order does not really work out all that well. Close though.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by vip867

Its not perfect but the size of the planets determine how much gas they have and how quickly they lose it.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   

reply to post by phi1618

Fire (sun) takes up the gases that are around it right? Since the inner planets are closer to the sun the gases on these planets are less than the gases on the outer planets.

www.solstation.com...

no. the Sun does not "feed" on planet's gasses.

the Sun, like most stars, is a main sequence star. This means that it generates its energy by nuclear fusion of hydrogen nuclei into helium.

en.wikipedia.org...

did you not go to elementary school?
come on...

-

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Physically, Earth is unique. There is a next to 0 chance that somewhere in the universe there is a planet with a physical composition and history exactly like ours, let alone even remotely similar. In that respect, it's 'special.'

In the grand scheme of things, however, Earth isn't important at all. If Earth were to be blown up/get swallowed by a black hole/etc, it'd be equivalent to taking a grain of sand out of a pile the size of a house.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by lycanlance

Well that would explain why mars has less being that it is smaller. But Venus being slightly smaller than earth and more dense is the odd planet out then. fun theory to work with.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

I know thats how it gets its gasses but i didnt literally mean it feeds on the gas it just lowers the amount that certain planets have. the closer the planet the fire will get rid of some of the gases near it you have to admit that is true. thats why the outer planets have more gas.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by vip867

lol yea im going to clarify because some people will take it seriously that i meant the sun feeds on the gasses i didnt mean that, i meant the suns fire determines how much gas a planet has. because you know that fire absorbs and feeds of the gas around it.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by anonymouse876

yea true but you have to admit there are many many many other planets that could have a possibility of a planet being out there that could host another form of life?

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   

reply to post by vip867

lol yea im going to clarify because some people will take it seriously that i meant the sun feeds on the gasses i didnt mean that, i meant the suns fire determines how much gas a planet has. because you know that fire absorbs and feeds of the gas around it.

k well the "fire" from the sun isn't touching the planets.
what I think you mean is the Sun's HEAT.. and the effect that heat has on CERTAIN gasses that would dissipate at CERTAIN temperatures.

you need to understand something.. and that is that EVERY ELEMENT has a GASSEOUS state.. some just need to be hotter than others in order to enter that state.

fire does not absorb gas. fire is oxygenation in action sometimes producing a plasma when the gasses are heated enough.

you could bring some gasses plenty close to the sun and they wouldn't combust.

-

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   

I agree they wouldnt combust but they would lose some of the gas and have less gas when i took them away from the sun.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by lycanlance

Host life? Of course. What I said was that you won't find another "Earth" exactly like ours, including how the races, species, societies, and the planet itself developed.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   

even if i am wrong about this that doesnt affect the fact that the earth isnt as special as many believe and there are many other planets that could be like earth and host life.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by anonymouse876

yes i know that. therefore earth isnt special in the way i was meaning.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   

even if i am wrong about this that doesnt affect the fact that the earth isnt as special as many believe and there are many other planets that could be like earth and host life.

well on that note.. you'd have to write us up an equation that shows how probable that earth-like planets exist at the exact same ratio of sun size vs. distance from sun ie: habital zone.. in order to see the data that we're basing this off of.

i'm sure there's some method of surviving subterraneanly or in dome-cities on planets that are too cold for carbon-based life as we know it.
but for careless frolicking in uncovered skies? you need to be in the habitable zome for our type of biology to exist in.

there may be billions of earths.. there may be hundreds.. there may be only a few dozen.

who knows.. we don['t know either way whether earth is special or not.. but we're trying to find out.

-

[edit on 19-7-2009 by prevenge]

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   

I fully agree with you on that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join