It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unusual photograph of what?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
A few years ago my brother gave me a cheap 2mp digital camera actually one of the first digital cameras. I walked around in the forest taking photos. I was standing in the middle of this dried up stream bed taking photos of the roots of this large Water Oak that were protruding from the ground.

The camera had no zoom so I was standing rather close to it. I've hesitated putting this on ATS since the camera was so poor and no better photo exists. Also I have no idea how to categorize exactly what it is. I never saw the green thing flying by with some sort of distortion underneath.

The leaves underneath the object are muscadine which are typically about 5in across.

Any ideas?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5be9e8450ce9.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
If I zoom in, I see a kind of white transparent pillar which seems to be holding the leaf in mid air. Maybe it is a spider web which you didnt notice at that time.

Was the leaf moving or was it stationary?

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
To me it looks like two symmetrical water oak leaves falling from the tree. Older digital cameras have infamously slow CMOS (higher end DSLRs use CCDs) that cause noise and blurring when an object is in motion when the sensor is capturing the image.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by peacejet

I was moving about taking photos and saw no spiderweb. I have another photo that was taken at a slightly different angle without the object.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by toochaos4u

As another poster above said. Maybe the leaf was falling from the tree while you were taking the photograph, and you didnt notice it while taking the photograph.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

I still have this camera somewhere so I'll find it and try taking a photo of two symmetrical connected water oak leaves falling to see how the camera does.

Thanks!

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Looks a little bit like a Luna Moth with the coloration, particularly at the middle where the body would be.
Then again, always the possibility of a leaf as well.

Kudos on the picture, regardless of what that object is. The base of the tree with the roots looks really neat. :3

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
It's a great picture either way.

Better than the photos I take for sure.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
looks like an upside down gun.
to me anyway.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Looks like one of these to me:

www1.istockphoto.com...

They're like little helicopter propellers, so they spin when they fall.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
interesting pic! really make you think, but im sure it's nothing more then a leaf...great pic though!

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redajin
Looks like one of these to me:

www1.istockphoto.com...

They're like little helicopter propellers, so they spin when they fall.

Yeah I've thought about that when I first saw the photo but, if you check out the dead oak leaves underneath they are smaller than this thing. The whirly seeds are small. In that area there are pine trees, Water Oaks, Escaped Snowball bushes and a few muscadine vine.

We tried to get a photo with the old camera with my brother throwing oak connected ends back and forth and they were absolutely blurred and indistinguishable from throwing say a rock. I've forgotten how bad the first digital cameras were. No movement can be captured without horrible blur. I took a photo of my brother walking and it looked like he had a dress on. I recreated the photo to judge how far I was from the tree and it was about 4ft away.

Cheers to the strange object hehe.

top topics

join