It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian protesters galvanized by sermon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Iranian protesters galvanized by sermon

www.chicagotribune.com

Reporting from Tehran and Beirut - Security forces fired tear gas and plainclothes militiamen armed with batons charged at crowds of protesters gathered near Tehran University after a Friday prayer sermon delivered by the cleric and opposition supporter Ayatollah Ali Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, his first appearance at the nation's weekly keynote sermon since before the election.

Rafsanjani, in a closely watched speech, lashed out at the hard-line camp supporting President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, criticized the June 12 election results and promoted several key opposition demands. However, he fai
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 7/18/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Iran's "freedom fighters" had already planned a massive demonstration in Tehran after Rafsanjani was to lead Friday prayers, even before they knew what he would say. Yesterday the call for demonstrators was reported on Twitter and other social media sites. Many hoped Rafsanjani would take a strong stand against Khomeini and Ahmadinejad and join with them in their revolution. Evidently the speech was not as inflammatory as they had hoped, although it was still critical of the ruling regime.

There have been a couple of weeks of relative quiet, but the revolution has definitely not been quelled. Some Iranian protesters tweeted that even without the support of Mousavi and/or Refsanjani, the reform movement would continue, and it has.

www.chicagotribune.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7/18/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
It's only a matter of time, before Iran is overthrown and crosses fingers, democracy kicks in.

I think what is it, Hitchins talks about it in my newest thread, 50% of Iran is under 25. And they don't like their parents wrongdoings.

Oh yeah, only a matter of time, good to see though.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Another one, somewhat clearer than the 1st:

[edit on 17-7-2009 by Sestias]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Link:

Latest Updates on Today's Demonstrations:

thelede.blogs.nytimes

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Poor people. I hope this brooding "revolution" does not end up getting them the same, i.e. another conservative cleric with "absolute power"
Read somewhere(WaPo I believe) that the average Irani under-25 is fairly secular. That is hopegiving...

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by diakrite

Yes, Iran is a Muslim country and I don't see any signs that the revolutionaries want to change their religion. One of their key chants is Allah O Akbar (God is great).

They do, however, appear to want democracy. They may find that incompatible with theocracy. Your guess is as good as mine.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

without the support of Mosavi or Rafsanjani the revolt will be squashed in "support" i mean they are not calling for revolution just disagreeing with the results. IMOP Israel has relized this and knows they will have to do it
I just hope all goes well and the people protesting now will take it as a chance to get what they want. but If Israel attacks it might unite the country for the hardliners, who knows? but there has to be an end game sooner or later with respect to Israel

MBF

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I have heard for many years that Iran would fall from within. It's too bad that the rest of the world can't go in and help the Iranian people though.
It's best if they do it themselves, I guess that may be why Israel is holding back. They may think the new government would be more easy to get along with.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by paradiselost333

I think any sort of attack by Israel would unify the protesters with the Iranian ruling regime and probably put an end to the "Green Revolution."

I think Israel will be wise and bide her time to see if there is a regime change in Iran. The new one could well be more open to the West and possibly more easy to deal with than Ahmadinejad's.

top topics

join