It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The problem with Sotomayer's statement and Obama's reason to choose her in the first place

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
“I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life,”

This 2001 quote from Judge Sotomayor has so many fundamental things wrong with it given her profession and soon promotion, for lack of a better word. Being a judge means being objective and not letting your own personal experiences or beliefs influence your decisions. In which case it wouldn't matter if one was a 1000 year old white guy or a young Latina woman. This fact also makes me weary why Obama would even pick her in the first place. It was a purely political move because she is a Hispanic woman, and really just makes me doubt his motives, I guess. She could very well be a great judge and all but I agree with why some Republican senators are taking such a thing so personally even if they are just doing it as a political show for their base and they're going to confirm her anyway so i guess it really doesn't matter that much. Our country is so effed up right now.

[edit on 17-7-2009 by shockme]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by shockme

The Daily Show had some biting bits about the hearings:

www.thedailyshow.com...

This other bit is very funny on Judge Sotomayor being a racist:

www.thedailyshow.com...

It does seem that many of the other judges before her have made the same type of statement and were praised by it from the same Republicans.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by shockme

I will like to know what of her experiences she considers to be so rich as to make a racist comment against white men like that.

I am Latina and PuertoRican like her but I am not like her and will never be, I have experiences and they happen to be memorable to me, but to go around boasting that my experiences are Rich and better than anybody else is just been nothing but arrogant and self centered.

Obviously she has been nothing but a brat and spoiled women all her life.

join