It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New wonder material, one-atom thick, has scientists abuzz

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   

New wonder material, one-atom thick, has scientists abuzz

news.yahoo.com

Imagine a carbon sheet that's only one atom thick but is stronger than diamond and conducts electricity 100 times faster than the silicon in computer chips.

That's graphene, the latest wonder material coming out of science laboratories around the world. It's creating tremendous buzz among physicists, chemists and electronic engineers.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   

It is the thinnest known material in the universe, and the strongest ever measured," Andre Geim , a physicist at the University of Manchester

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/612932846832.jpg[/atsimg]

This is pretty impressive. Once we can figure out how to produce this in a cost effective manner, the possibilities are limitless! Unfortunatly, according to wiki

Graphene is presently one of the most expensive materials on Earth, with a sample that can be placed at the cross section of a human hair costing more than $1,000

Nevertheless, the stuff is strong!

Measurements have shown that graphene has a breaking strength 200 times greater than steel, making it the strongest material ever tested

-E-

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9-7-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Wow, can you imagine the possibilities?

Planes,Trains,Automobiles..building materials..the list is endless.

Now if they can just get the cost down..I mean really down..

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Its widley speculated that after the Diamond age will come the Graphene age. But I say bullocks to this idea, lets just skip the diamond age and go right to the Graphene age instead. I mean there will probably be some uses that diamond is better suited for but if we have a better material like graphene lets work on making it mass produced.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Just a quick note, not to derail or anything but Graphene has been in and out of the news for about 3 or 4 years now.

Moving towards a graphene world (19 July 2006)
www.nature.com...

Graphene: the magic carpet made of carbon (Apr 06, 2006)
www.hindu.com...

Back on topic: It will be interesting to see how manufacturing processes change and evolve to lower production costs. Would be neat to have a house or clothing made of this stuff.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Desolate Cancer

I agree there. This stuff would definitely revolutionize the world.

I wonder, though, what they COULD do to reduce the cost of it?

Time will tell, though. I think if they could get it down to a reasonable level, we could start seeing some amazing things

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jomina
reply to post by Desolate Cancer

I agree there. This stuff would definitely revolutionize the world.

I wonder, though, what they COULD do to reduce the cost of it?

Time will tell, though. I think if they could get it down to a reasonable level, we could start seeing some amazing things

The cost will stabilize itself once the applications become known. Remember the release of plasma TV's? First models were 20 grand until the market could substantiate the product. Now, can get a 52" for $1,500.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Very cool stuff! Good to hear it hasn't been completely abandoned

I've always wondered if, given technology/ money/ whatever, this material would be strong enough for a Space Elevator?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
So - it's a carbon isomer, made with tri double bonds to each Carbon, and the rest of the electrons are delocalised? Carbon is a marvellous material.

[edit on 9/7/2009 by C0bzz]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Like what some say you never know whats around the corner.

I just wonder whats hiding behind the scenes.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Ya, i'm noticing that the more I research it! This morning was the first I have heard of it.

I'm certianly no expert, but don't thinkg made out of carbon break easy? The article says it's super strong, but in the fabrication dept of my old job I remember one of our machines had a piece that was this very strong carbon and cound withstand enormous pressure, but if you dropped it it would break
. I'll look more into that

-E-

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

Dare I say. Spaceships anyone?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
1 molecule thick and stronger than steel? Wouldn't that mean it's ultra-sharp, too?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Last Man on Earth
1 molecule thick and stronger than steel? Wouldn't that mean it's ultra-sharp, too?

It world also be virtually invisible, too.

How would you see something a molecule thick?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I have always found the carbon molecule interesting. The most common form having:

6 protons
6 neutrons
6 electrons

It forms the basis of life and the hardest substance known to man as well as all of these interesting material forms like nano-tubes, buckminsterfullerene, graphite, graphene and so forth. All of our modern armor and many of our weapons including aircraft are now made mostly from carbon of one form or another.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
While most are commenting on the structural applications, we should note that this material might even be the future of computing as well. It's ability to conduct and maintain a charge is our only hope of superseding the current limitations on memory storage and large-scale microchip integration.

We might just be able to move away from silicon as the substrate of choice for electronic devices, and then miniaturization could be achieved on a completely new scale.

The material has been around, at least theoretically, for some time now. It's good to see it becoming more mainstream, because that means that material scientists are looking at it more closely.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

thats what i was thinking. but that would cot billions to build the shell, if it is indeed $1000 for the thickness of a human hair.

this would be great for armour.

[edit on 9-7-2009 by MR BOB]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Maybe in the future they figure out a cheap way to make this stuff in zero-g. Then we could spread the human cancer everywhere in the universe!

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I was thinking space elevator as well. And, whoa, great timing on this discovery! Just as the space shuttle fleet is ready to be mothballed. What a coincidence!

They couldn't have planned it any better!

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Maybe one day they can vastly reduce the cost by using nanomaterials on a plate and running a thin film of liquid graphite over it that automatically forms the material. I'm just speculating. I don't even know if there is such a thing as liquid graphite. I was just thinking if mass produced, you could have doors that no one could break into with the exception of a possible nuclear explosion. Maybe combine it with some starlite material and then not even a nuclear explosion would take it out. Could be great for tanks and other applications.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join