It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two anti-smoking drugs to carry mental-health warnings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
This is another conspiracy by the govt in the name of curbing smoking. These drugs can cause depression or suicide. There could be more problems in using these drugs than in smoking !

The drug Zyban was an ingredient in anti-depression medicine and the patients found out that it reduces the urge to smoking. Then Zyban was made into a anti-smoking drug. So anyone who uses Zyban would be using anti-depression drug, without that person actually having a depression. Not smoking comes as a side effect of the drug.

Two popular anti-smoking drugs will now carry warnings about the risk of severe mental health problems, the Food and Drug Administration announced Wednesday.

The FDA said Chantix and Zyban will carry the warnings to alert consumers to the risks of depression and suicidal thoughts when using the drugs.

The drugs also have been reported to cause changes in behavior, hostility and agitation in users, whether users had a history of psychiatric illness or not. In many cases, side effects started shortly after use began and ended when the medication was stopped. The FDA does not know what is causing the changes and said people taking these products should be monitored by their doctor.

SOurce: edition.cnn.com...

[edit on 3-7-2009 by sunny_2008ny]

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by sunny_2008ny
This is another conspiracy by the govt in the name of curbing smoking. These drugs can cause depression or suicide. There could be more problems in using these drugs than in smoking !

The drug Zyban was an ingredient in anti-depression medicine and the patients found out that it reduces the urge to smoking. Then Zyban was made into a anti-smoking drug. So anyone who uses Zyban would be using anti-depression drug, without that person actually having a depression. Not coming comes as a side effect of the drug.

Two popular anti-smoking drugs will now carry warnings about the risk of severe mental health problems, the Food and Drug Administration announced Wednesday.

The FDA said Chantix and Zyban will carry the warnings to alert consumers to the risks of depression and suicidal thoughts when using the drugs.

The drugs also have been reported to cause changes in behavior, hostility and agitation in users, whether users had a history of psychiatric illness or not. In many cases, side effects started shortly after use began and ended when the medication was stopped. The FDA does not know what is causing the changes and said people taking these products should be monitored by their doctor.

SOurce: edition.cnn.com...

You might as well continue smoking rather than live a life of mental illness.

well down big tobacco lol

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
but...i thought the government was conspiring to make us stop smoking as another way to control our personal lives...

silly government. cant even commit ridiculous conspiracies right.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I can't recall the name of it, but a couple years ago my ex girlfriends mother used one of these drugs. It wasn't zyban though.

Regardless, my girlfriend at the time would tell me her mom was really spaced out lately, then one day she walked in and her mom was sitting on the couch, sitting straight up looking at the wall, silent. She asked her what she was doing, and her mom said "im reallllllyyyy hiiiighhhhh"

This went on for a few weeks, then she was done the pills, and hasn't smoked since and it's been years. She smoked for 30 years before that, a pack a day.

I am the first to bash perscription drugs and there dangers, it's weird that it worked though in this case. But these pills definitely made her mom extremely high, she could have died in a car accident, let a lone what damage this did to her body and mind.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by king9072

But these pills definitely made her mom extremely high, she could have died in a car accident, let a lone what damage this did to her body and mind.

The FDA really cares about people's health ?, or is this just the drug lobby making sure that they dont get sued for the side effects of the drug, by displaying a warning.

top topics

join