It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do a lot of psychologists feel that people can only be present minded or future minded?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I was thinking about how we often go on auto-pilot throughout most of our life yesterday and how when we were on auto-pilot much of our thinking was geared towards the future, on, some unforeseen goal. I was just wondering what if these psychologists are wrong? I don't think we need to limit ourselves to thinking solely in the present nor do I think we need to only think about the future. We shouldn't think about only the present or the future. We should be thinking about both, always keeping both in mind as time goes on. I don't fully understand why psychologists have theorized that people are either present oriented or future oriented. That doesn't make sense to me. I think that this line of thinking is harmful. We should be present oriented- we should live in the present- and we should be cautioned about what will happen to us in the future. That's just how I think about it. We shouldn't be completely in the present or in the future. Somewhere in between is the right place to be!

[edit on 2-7-2009 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I did not know psychologist think like that?

I consider myself along the lines you posted.

Live in the moment for the future.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

It is good to be in the NOW.

That is what alot of people are lacking. The Now. People really do live on auto pilot for ALOT of there lives. I think gradually people are waking up, to a new stage of realization, and becoming alot more aware.
BringTheLight has a great thread on being in the now:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

But as you say, it is important to be aware of the future, not just the present.

Love&Light

jacob

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

Yes, there are a ton of people that actually think this. You'd be surprised.

reply to post by JacobNH

I haven't checked out the thread but yes. More people do need to be living in the now. There are people that seem to think that it's only okay to live in the present or that it's only okay to live in the future and that if you are introverted you must be future thinking or if you're extroverted you must be present thinking... to that I say that's just a bunch of bull. You don't have to let a label control how you act or how you think. Being present minded is good because you can enjoy what happens along the way... and being future minded is also good because then you can think about the future in addition to what has happened in the present. I don't think it's an either or thing. But you just can't be too future minded or you'll not be able to enjoy the things along the way.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Great topic. I always think about this. Society as a whole is so future minded and I believe THAT is what is destroying us. The need to always be one step ahead of our own selves is what will kill us. Why can't we be happy where are are? Every other Animal in the world is.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

I don't think we should just be present minded. That's not what I'm advocating. I'm advocating for a present and future minded society. If you're too focused on the future if you're always future focused but never in the present- you won't get anywhere because you're never in the now- and- you're never going to make the steps to get to where you want to be in the future, hence, the thinking of being one or the other is counter-productive. Also, if you're too much focused on the present- then you won't really be able to get to where you want per se in the future. You'll enjoy life. But it might cause problems. I am advocating for a balance. Not one or the other. Do you get my drift?

[edit on 2-7-2009 by Frankidealist35]

top topics

join