It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kim Jong Il Close to Ceding Power, South Korea Says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Kim Jong Il Close to Ceding Power, South Korea Says

www.bloomberg.com

June 24 (Bloomberg) -- North Korean dictator Kim Jong Il is close to transferring power to his youngest son, Kim Jong Un, a senior South Korean government official said.

Circumstances suggest the elder Kim, 68, is grooming Jong Un to take control of the communist nation, said the official, who briefed reporters in Seoul on condition of anonymity. There’s no concrete evidence the son has support from the country’s elite, which could cause a power struggle, he said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I didnt know where else to put this. But there may be hope for future peace of the region. Jong Un is going to take over from his pops. I tried finding a picture of the successor but so far Google searching only came up with this one....

He can't be all that bad he likes Micky.

Edit to Add. He's the one on the right I think.
I know it's hard to tell
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/77d14eecd7f5.jpg[/atsimg]

www.bloomberg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 24-6-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

like father like son xD

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Edit to Add. He's the one on the right I think.
I know it's hard to tell
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/77d14eecd7f5.jpg[/atsimg]

You had me there! I had to double take on that one to see it was photoshopped!

Just imagine being 26 and being handed a nuclear powered fanitical state! Jeese I bet he can bearly handle his beer yet - this is going to be very interesting, I wonder how much power he will actually have?

It could be an oppertunity to open up better relations tho, gues time will tell.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Anyway on topic. Anybody know anything about his son?

Does somebody here at ATS have this guys Dossier?

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

There was a thread, I will look for it. The son is said to be more westernized, educated in the US? I think, and even making sex trips to Japan, but he may also be more aggressive and radical than Il, if that is possible?!?!

I will try to find other thread and post link.

Edit for links to other threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Best one so far:

None of these other threads did too well.
Good luck!

[edit on 24-6-2009 by getreadyalready]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Kim Jong-un, Kim Jong-woon or Kim Jung Woon (born 1983) is the third and youngest son of Kim Jong-il with his late partner Ko Young-hee. JoongAng Daily has reported that he was designated successor by his father, the leader of North Korea.

It is reported that he attended the English language International School of Bern in Bern, Switzerland until 1998 under a pseudonym,[2] although this is disputed.[3] It is also reported that he speaks English, some German, Bernese German,[4] and French, and that he enjoys skiing and basketball and is a fan of Michael Jordan.[5] To date, only one known image of Kim Jong-un exists, taken when he was eleven.[6] However another photo, purportedly taken when he was 16, was published in the Japanese newspaper Mainichi Shimbun.[7]

en.wikipedia.org...

The Rise of Kim Jong-Un

Figuring out just who will rule North Korea when Kim Jong Il exits the scene has become something of a global parlor game. In January 2009, the South Korean news agency, Yonhap, reported that Kim Jong Il's third and youngest son, Kim Jong-un, had been nominated to succeed his father "around" Jan. 8, the younger Kim's birthday. Although there was no corroborating information from the North Korean media (and there still is none), Yonhap's articles cited sources with close ties to the North Korean leadership. Then in April, Yonhap reported that Kim Jong-un had been appointed to the National Defense Commission (NDC) in an unnamed capacity. Whether any of this is true is debatable, but for those of us who read the tea leaves in Pyongyang for a living, the growing focus on the third son as the successor appears to be reaching a critical mass.

www.foreignpolicy.com...

here's a more recent photo (age 16?)
www.koreatimes.co.kr...

img source: www.koreatimes.co.kr...

[edit on 24-6-2009 by warrenb]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Oh man... no wonder this guy has a complex!

That's hilarious!

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

The one on the left or the one on the right?

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

There was a thread, I will look for it. The son is said to be more westernized, educated in the US? I think, and even making sex trips to Japan...

That would be the eldest son, not chosen as Kim's successor for just those reasons. Skipped over for the younger Kim Jong-un.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Also thanks Warren

The question is who is really running that dog and pony show over there?
If Kim is too ill. [No pun] Is his son really that ruthless also?

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   

That's a VERY good question.

Youngest son of an insane dictator...maybe spoiled as a child....what could possibly go wrong?

If Kim, Sr. is stepping aside, who is issuing all of this latest rhetoric?

Is there a cabal of generals intent on poking a stick into the USA's (and the World's) bee hives??

And, can "Some Yung Guy" deal with that, or will he go along?

[edit on 6/24/0909 by weedwhacker]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Youre good slayer, I'll go with the ruler on the left.

Thanks the funniest thing Ive seen in a long time.

S&F

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Huggs Slayer!

It will be interesting to see what plays out,,,

Its so horrible there with all those prison labor camps.
Its a very sad place...

I worry also on the 2 journilist who were sentenced to had labor,,I pray something is being done behind closed doors to free them.
I pray for all the ones who suffer there.

I would like to put mr kim in a bathroom and lock him inside,,and make sure the toilet isnt working also. and weld the window shut to....

the sex slavery is horrible and china should crack down on this!!

huggs everyone!!

join