It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama signs anti-smoking bill

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by stander

I'm just going to repeat what I've said in previous related posts on this topic. It's great that this law is going into effect. Cig companies have been putting way too much crap into cigs and it does need to stop. Since the new insane taxes on cigs, I've switched to the Indian made cigs (supposedly all natural tobacco) and I don't see me switching back to Marlboro reds anytime soon - after being loyal to their product for 20 years. I would still like to see a fat people tax imposed on fat people just to make things fair. There are way more overly obese Americans then there are smokers, let's make them pay as well (in the name of cutting down on healthcare related costs of course). Nothing more annoying to me than a corrupt & greedy incompetent govt telling us sheeple how we should live our lives.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by jitombe
reply to post by stander

I'm just going to repeat what I've said in previous related posts on this topic. It's great that this law is going into effect. Cig companies have been putting way too much crap into cigs and it does need to stop. Since the new insane taxes on cigs, I've switched to the Indian made cigs (supposedly all natural tobacco) and I don't see me switching back to Marlboro reds anytime soon - after being loyal to their product for 20 years. I would still like to see a fat people tax imposed on fat people just to make things fair. There are way more overly obese Americans then there are smokers, let's make them pay as well (in the name of cutting down on healthcare related costs of course). Nothing more annoying to me than a corrupt & greedy incompetent govt telling us sheeple how we should live our lives.

Attacking the overweight to "even" the playing field? Whaa?

I think the smoking issue is a personal decision and the govt should back off. I agree that cigs are pretty much garbage now. Buy pure tobacco and smoke a pipe.

edit for typo.

[edit on 25-6-2009 by Ace High]

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
The real reason for banning smoking may be more nefarious. As mentioned on a previous ATS thread about the link between nicotine and fluoride

Maybe we're all getting too uppity and need to be calmed back down?

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Well, this is a teen law as the article states.

Canada has had this law for years, show ID to prove you are over 18 to buy cigarettes. 19 to drink.

It works, unless the kids get someone to buy them for em, just like booze.

Even teens trying to bum a smoke, now adults say 'you don't look old enough and walk away' lol.

the kid growls and mumbles and moves on.

Also, if Obama wants a law that saves American lives, how about something productive like banning vehicles, people die from car accidents. How about rock climbing? Bicycles, yeah, those are dangerous too. How about war? No more caushing chit with other countries or causing false flag terrors to kill and maim more citizens. Oh yeah and rid of pets, pet trip us, bite us, make us sneeze and we might have an aneurysm.

Solution: Tax the hell out of the ciggies like Canada does and put the tax money into HEALTH CARE. This pays for the smoker's cancer treatment and in-hospital phlem spittoon and the nurses to clean it up. Worth every penny.

[edit on 25-6-2009 by suzque66]

oh and this in the news this morn: "If You're Trying To Cut Back, Take Heart: Even Obama Sneaks The Occasional Cigarette"
Wednesday June 24, 2009
CityNews.ca www.citynews.ca...

[edit on 25-6-2009 by suzque66]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join