It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama signs anti-smoking bill

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I rarely smoke but when I do its cloves and I heard this will affect their sale. like maybe they wont have them anymore. I dunno I heard it in the car on the way to work and was like WTF? anyone else hear this? meanwhile Obama can suck down his menthols all day long..pfft

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

well aren't all laws telling you how to live your life? if you did have kids would you let them smoke or discourage them? for the reasons why most people would discourage their kids from taking up smoking, i agree with obama.
forget telling you how to live your life, you've been told how to live your life since the day you were born. this is just another hting on a list of things you now cant do and on the face of it doesnt seem a bad idea. in reality there is probably hidden motives e.g. Cito's idea.

its late, im going to bed soon.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by RuledBySecrecy

Just because something is the law doesn't make it right.Thats something i will be telling my kids in the future thats for sure,will side-step all this totalitarian nonsense in one fail swoop.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

No problem, we all make the occasional mistake. Really, i wouldnt even be bothered if you were aiming it at me, because I am just glad to see people get mad for the government interference in our lives.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Don't bee fooled this is much more sinister than the admirable desire to lessen the number of smokers in society.

First, we had "Fire Safe Cigarettes". Since their implementation, it's been discovered that they are significantly more hazardous to ones health than a non FSC smoke. But it's been mandated that the tobacco companies use FSC paper.

Now, through the FDA the government is taking control over the ingredients that are allowed or disallowed? I wonder how long it will be before we can no longer purchase additive free tobacco. How long before the list of 600+ completely unnecessary and dangerous chemical additives grows to over 1000?

I really used to believe that I lived in the greatest, most free country in the world. Now I know however, that the US has simply implemented the most elaborate illusion of freedom ever.

The worst part is that I think things would change, nearly overnight, if only everyone in the country turned off their televisions for 48 whole hours. Go out and see what's going on around you, instead of having your existence dictated to you by a talking box with pretty colors.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by RuledBySecrecy

Well I do agree with you on your point about the government telling us what to do since we were born. It seems they go out of their way to think of new things to interfere in our lives. I guess they think we are all stupid and are not capable of making our own decisions. Dont you think they tell us what we cant do enough already?

All government interference ever leads to is more taxes, so they can enforce their ridiculous ideas on the rest of us. Liberals, are the worst of the two. They think that if they see it as wrong it must be wrong for everyone, because they think they know what is best for everyone.

[edit on 22-6-2009 by grapesofraft]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I haven't learned much about what is in store for the adult smokers from the media, but there are historical correlations one can go by.

Maybe Obama's drive to exterminate smokers is intuitive, even unconscious, and driven by a fear of WW3. I hope it's so, coz there are other options I shall not dare to even mention. But since the freedom of speech (lights, 100) is still lit . . . aaah what a heck:

When Adolf was a boy age eight, about 1897, the same year Iowa and Tennessee were banning cigarettes, he was in school in Lambeck. And because Germans believed in the so-called right to smoke, tobacco was widespread, little Adolf saw adults smoke, setting a bad example. He unfortunately followed their example, himself became a smoker. Yes, little Adolf was smoking. Smoking at age 8! In school even! This is a matter of public record!

medicolegal.tripod.com...

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

That's what's happening in Singapore right now, too.

A ban on smoking in public places.

IMO it actually does a lot of good to the social surroundings and the environment.

But if he bans smoking in individual private homes - that's a problem.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by KarlG
reply to post by stander

IMO it actually does a lot of good to the social surroundings and the environment.

But if he bans smoking in individual private homes - that's a problem.

I don't think it would be a problem at all: General Electric would be blessed with a $500 million contract to develop a temper-proof cigarette smoke detector that by law would have to be installed in every American household. AT&T would get another $500 million to hook up the cigarette smoke detectors to a central computer that would register the offenders and would automatically send the fines either through Internet or mail. The members of the household would be responsible for their smoking visitors -- no chance to appeal the charge and fines.

But I don't think that this Orwellian (or Obamian) scenario would take place within a year or so. Obama needs to get away with some more tricks before signing into law "Puffy," the cigarette smoke detector that will save so many American lives on the domestic front.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by RuledBySecrecy
how is this a bad thing? the government is trying to protect its people, and by the sounds of that article, children.

you want freedom?? to advertise cigarettes to children? why would someone agree with this. its like guns they are deadly why are they legal, cigarettes kill and you want to hook kids on them for life so they end up with lung cancer. how lovely.

it may be a bit controlling but don't you think the government has your best interests, health and saftey in mind?

the biggest problem could be enforcing it. but it can be done.

I feel sorry for anybody that believes this. Everything the Government does is for profit, power or position.

This is similar to Pimps giving Health Insurance to their Whores. After all, it does the Pimp no good to have his girls die off and kill his future earnings.

So is it with American Sheep, Future revenue cows.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
I hate it when people who have quit smoking try to tell others that they should too. I think it's self-righteousness.

I'm not sure that Obama ever quit smoking.
I know for a fact that he was a smoker at one time. I have seen pictures of him with a cigarette dangling between his lips.

You know, I smoke and I probably should quit. However, damn legislation that tries to force me to quit.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by RuledBySecrecy

its like guns they are deadly why are they legal,

Only in the hands of a moron.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I smoke. If my kids get to legal age and want to smoke, whatever.

I know that they will be trying it out at the latest by high school.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I used to smoke, and I quit. I do not care if people smoke, or if they don't. It is your life.

If you are a non smoker and you feel as if you are being choked, you are free I'm sure to ask them to put it out, or leave the area. I have been smoking a cigarette before in an enclosed room and someone politely asked me to put it out because it was bothering their eyes, and guess what. I DID. Wow, what a shocker!

Being a smoker does not translate into no consideration for others, IMO.

To anyone who has a problem with this bill, instead of complaining and try to change someone's view who is against yours(which will never happen), why don't you write to your congressman? I dunno, maybe try actually doing something about it? I have changed my attitude from complaining to writing to my state reps. My guess is thats its a little more constructive.

The only reason the government is dictating to us this whole 'save us from ourselves' campaign is because we ALL apathetically allowed it to happen.

It is truly disgusting that people are still just sitting around complaining about this stuff, instead of, who knows, raising awareness for your cause? Get other people to oppose it too maybe?

It is shocking how many give up before even trying, yet feel as if they have a right to complain.

Hear about a bill you oppose? Exercise your 'right' to oppose it. If not, you cannot later complain about losing rights you never exercised anyway!

Yeah, maybe there are people manipulating laws that are put into place. Well if your aware of it, you should be even more on top of opposing these types of things and raising awareness. Not just the smoking thing, but this goes for everything.

Does 'power of the people' mean nothing?

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Neat article:

Natural News

How ridiculous is this?

And perhaps most importantly, this bill now puts the FDA in the position of approving the marketing and consumption of a product that directly promotes heart disease, strokes and cancer. The FDA, in other words, will now lend its stamp of approval to a product that openly kills people.

If the FDA has any ethics whatsoever, it must ban tobacco products outright. For how can the Food and Drug Administration approve the marketing and selling of a deadly carcinogenic product when, at the same time, it bans cherry growers from describing the everyday health benefits of cherries?

So if tobacco is a drug, then where are the safety tests required for drug approval? The FDA assaults fruit and herb companies on a daily basis, threatening them with being shut down for selling "unapproved drugs," and yet now the FDA is about to be put in the position of approving an admittedly deadly product that has no health benefits whatsoever while contributing to serious degenerative disease!

And on and on it goes. What a load of BS. The FDA has been a worthless agency for years and this just shows us how worthless they are. Interesting to note that smokers don't kill other people, they kill themselves by smoking - and don't give me that secondhand smoke crap. I am sick of the government we have, all these fools who think they know what is best for us.

Placing tobacco under "approved" status at the FDA also raises a glaring contradiction in the U.S. government's so-called "War on Drugs." Tobacco is, without question, a psychoactive, highly-addictive drug that is consumed by people in an addictive and destructive way. Marijuana, by comparison, is less addictive, making it far less destructive to health overall. So why is tobacco about to become an FDA-approved drug while marijuana remains an herb whose very possession results in a consumer being branded a criminal and thrown in prison?

Hypocrisy at its best.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Oh yeh Obama smokes, we've even seen pictures of him with those "funny hand rolled cigs" wink wink.

The bill is hypocritical to say the least.

Enough with the attacks on smokers. I mean cigs never appealed to me but I do enjoy the occasional premium cigar! If anything, Obama should be working on our relations with Cuba, get my drift!

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
These are what the different Canadian cigarette packs look like:

www.cdc.gov...

smokers make jokes and trade them with their friends...."I am a a man, not pregnant so can I have the one with the rotten teeth instead?" or 'Can I have the stroke pack instead of the lung cancer'.

These have been on the packs for years.

and Obama used to smoke, supposedly ex-smokers are the worst anti-smoking Nazis.

Canadian prices skyrocketted way up in the early 90's which caused a big blackmarket for stolen or Native Reservation bootlegging. The govt couldn't control or stop it so they brought the taxes/prices back down.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by suzque66

My favorite is the third one down.

I smoke . . . I have four kids.

Sure did not make me impotent lol.

In fact, I think it reversed it. I am like a rabbit now.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
They are to scare the kids off from smoking I guess....

At first there was a few ewwwws and yukkkkks, but now, the packaging is mostly ignored.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
New tax on cigars cost 500 Tampa residents their jobs.

www2.tbo.com...

Tampa will lose part of its cigar heritage in August when Hav-A-Tampa shuts its factory near Seffner and lays off about 495 employees, closing a factory that has been operating since 1902.

Amazing they have been operating since 1902!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join