It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling all Twitter users - Here Is How You Can Help the Brave Iranian Protestors!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Revolution is in the air and the people of Tehran are fighting hard against the forces of evil, and they are also fighting for their lives.

As many know all outside media sources have been expelled from the country, and there are brave Iranian freedom fighters who are still sending video footage and news updates out of Iran. The Iranian government is tryimg it's best to stifle all communication and they are making a special effort to pinpoint the location of those who are communicating via Twitter and other social networking sites.

This is where YOU come in!!

The Iranian students and the people who are risking life and limb to keep the lines of communication open are requesting that anyone with a Twitter account, please go into your settings on your profile and change your location to GMT +3:30 Tehran time ....

This will flood the Iranian secret police with millions and millions of profiles to have to search through and it will cause a log jam in their efforts to track and punish the ones who are sending out news and video footage.

The people of Iran are risking everything for their shot at freedom, and I am asking anyone out there with a Twitter account to help out in this small way. Also, please pass the word along so that others may join the cause.

The People of Iran Stand up for The Right of Freedom! Power To the People!!

[edit on 6/21/09 by BlackOps719]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
If Sharia stands, they will not have any freedom, it's just a fight from one puppet to another (the Supreme Leader has all the power).

I havn't seen anything citing removal of Sharia from the culture...

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by lordtyp0

If the people of Iran want Sharia law after this regime has been removed and that is their decision then it is what it is.

At least this way they will get to decide for themselves. Freedom is a contagious thing, once these people have fought for it and tasted it they may set up a brand new young republic free of the old madness.

At least by fighting and hopefully winning they will have that option.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

You realize the rioting is a demand for the vote tallies to be voided and a new election to occur.. Right?

Nothing in what is going on is a threat to the Ayatollah's or clerical powers.
They will not be challenged. The only thing that can occur from this is there might be a president in place who is more palpable to the U.S. government.

Sharia will be there still. unchallenged. The culture placed Sharia in power. If the people commit revolution just to keep it.. They fit my definition of evil on a cultural level. Not government.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
this rioting is actually quite rediculous. Nothing about their government will change... just like ours. We have quite a history of suspicious elections, slader, and fraud as well. Maybe china should support 9/11 truthers who would like to kill law enforcement and governement officials?

When you really sit and think about the puppets in power and how little they matter you might growup a little inside and see what yoru doing is pointless and ignorant.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Do these people look like they are fighting to maintain the status quo?

They are fighting and many are losing their lives in hopes of a better life. Be a pessemist on your own time, the people of Iran are no different than the other people throughout the world who are starving for freedom.

As far as Im concerned they are our brothers in arms because they stand and fight against the same evils that threaten us all. If you cant or wont see that then that is your perogative and you are entitled to your opinion.

This thread is for people who do support and would choose to help those who choose to stand in defiance of the beast.

I support anyone who has the courage and the conviction to risk their lives for something they believe in. Some of the westerner's that I know could learn a thing or two from these brave people.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   

The same culture has the courage and conviction to riot and kill people over a cartoon. What exactly is your point? They almost seem to riot over how peaceful they are.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   

The people that you are putting down are the exact liberal moderate middle easterners who are fighting AGAINST the secular religious segment who do things like kill people over cartoons and hang young women for taking off their burkas in public.

These people fighting and dieing are the only hope the nation of Iran has of moving forward and evolving into a more modern and peaceful nation. The Islamic militants make up only a portion of Iran, the others who live in Iran are progressive and hopeful for freedom.

They embrace western culture and ideas, the are the people who have suffered for decades under the oppressiv e thumb of the Imams and the Amadinejad's who have held them hostage and in the dark for so long.

These people want to be free. They are tired of living under the dictatorial thumb and they are standing in defiance against the old ways. If you cant see that then you have a problem.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   

I do in fact have a problem. That problem is all the projection going on in this. This isn't a reliving of the Bush 2k elections. This is an election where the guy who 'lost' called for people to riot.

It took a vote for people to move. This is funny to me. Decades of allowing people to be murdered by the government. Allowing people to be arrested and disappear-by the government. Where were the riots? Where was the out-rage?

What did it take? They guy they picked to be a leader, a guy who is seen the world over as being only 'slightly less right wing' than Ahmandinijad. Saying "This was unfair, time to riot!"

In otherwords, they did not care about doing the right thing until it impacted them directly.

Until I see evidence of them caring about changing things; you know, tweets or leaders or newscasts saying 'yipee! no more sharia!' or detailing how things will be changed.. instead of vague allusions to freedom and wanting freedom... Then this is just another riot, not a revolution it seems, everything else is an attempt to escalate the violence. As is I am waiting on country music stars to scribe some twangy drivel as an anthem for this. Might as well get some commercial movement, right?

I liked the composition of your post though, lots of buzz words and talking points with bandwagon emphasis. Kudos on the naturalness.

Show me something directly challenging what I have said, show me something saying the riots are a heartfelt revolution against their theocracy and I will recant. I am not interested in pictures, pictures say a thousand words-rarely though is it truth on face.

Show me the tweets and interviews saying they were looking forward to the Clerics being thrown from the towers. The articles saying they would halt the stoning executions of children who were raped for being impure. The stopping of hanging of people simply for existing.

Not just "We want freedom!". "Freedom" on a national level usually means might makes right while subjugating minorities. Show me where they want Justice, Humanity AND Freedom.

Show me a reason to care about their struggles.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Wow I am really torn on this thread.

BlackOps719 has certainly argued his case and reasoning eloquently and lordtyp0 has been equally masterful in putting forth his rebuttal.

I have to say you have both crafted brilliant and powerful arguments and compliment you both on the passion and lucidity you bring to your debates.

I do however share lordtyp0's feelings for the most part, that it is just too early to tell what if any change, or change for the better what will come out of what are essentially riots regarding a political party's electoral loss that accounts of are being grossly 'read' into by a lot of albeit well intentioned people here in the West but not necessarily wise ones to weigh in so quickly regarding a situation where there is almost no chance through any channel we are getting all the facts.

So one might be inclined to think in regards to that revelation on my part I have nothing to be torn about…

Oh but I do, I live to cause mayhem so how can I pass up the opportunity to cause some mayhem with my twitter account even though I don’t believe I have even begun to get all the facts regarding the situation on Iran?

Wow really torn, mayhem for mayhem’s sake!

You owe me one BlackOps719 this one really goes against my better judgment.

President Ahmadinejad, sorry it’s nothing personal but mayhem for mayhem’s sake!

Anarchy! You just have to love it!

Ready, aim, Twitter!

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   

I dont have to "show" you anything, nor does it bother me in any way whether you "care" about their cause or not.

Many people out here happen to care about what is going on and this thread was made to pass along a message to those who wish to try and help the Iranian people who are trying to keep open communication with the rest of the world.

Fair enough, you aren't a supporter. You dont care. Your point is made. Feel free to not participate, Im not trying to convince you of anything.

Maybe you should do some of your own research and form an opinion that way instead of waiting for others to educate you on what is really happening.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Alright BlackOps719 I did the Twitter updates now could you take over Angola for me? I want someplace different to spend my summer vacation this year!

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Fair enough,

Enjoy

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Like I said, Im just trying to pass the word along. If it really truly helps these people keep their only lines of outside communication open then it is for the better and the least that I can do.

Here is a link to a site that has been set up to process and post messages from those on the front lines in Tehran. It has some really good info, the videos and many of the pictures coming out of there are horrific.

Today there were reports of police helicoptors dumping chemicals of an unknown origin onto the crowds of students, many women also in the crowds. It truly is a war zone.

Anonymous Iran

Thanks for helping out Proto

Edit: spelling

[edit on 6/22/09 by BlackOps719]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Like I said, Im just trying to pass the word along. If it really truly helps these people keep their only lines of outside communication open then it is for the better and the least that I can do.

Here is a link to a site that has been set up to process and post messages from those on the front lines in Tehran. It has some really good info, the videos and many of the pictures coming out of there are horrific.

Today there were reports of police helicoptors dumping chgemicals of an unknown origin onto the crowds of students, many women also in the crowds. It truly is a war zone.

Anonymous Iran

Thanks for helping out Proto

You know my friend I have no doubt that both you and lordtyp0 mean well. You are both highly intelligent and articulate and passionate humans.

Some food for thought though, and I am not stating this to be contrary in any way shape or form but have you considered...

As I sit here in lovely, tropical, balmy Miami pretending to be in Tehran which my Twitter profile now says I am, that I have by extension of just degraded by one more notch the veracity of information comming out of Tehran on Twitter, since we now know according to me and my big mouth that I am not an Iranian or in Iran but am on Twitter pretending to be an Iranian in Iran.

Now since many people are considering Twitter the best source of 'real' news out of Iran, what the heck have I just said about the quality of that source?

Unlike yours and lordtyp0's actions mine for the pure sake of mayhem are as impeachable as Twitter is as a source for reliable and accurate news regarding the situation in Iran, and sadly my well intentioned and noble hearted brave friend. you just might be doing more harm than good for that reason alone.

[edit on 22/6/09 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I just wanted to add this letter that was written and sent out by an iranian student on 6/20/09. Many here in the west are wondering about the intentions of the protestors and the overall reasoning for what they are doing, and this should shed some light on what an average Iranian protestor is fighting for.

Here is the letter as follows:

Salaam, sorry if I didn't answer to your e-mails. The Internet connection is extremely slow these days... Yahoo messenger, MSN, text messaging, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and all reformist and networking Web sites are filtered. (I just got to briefly log in to Facebook last night with a "filtershekan.")

There are rallies every day... organized by word of mouth from one event to the other, and then by phone calls, and strangers just telling you to show up as they pass you by or as you are waiting behind red lights. Yesterday, it was supposed to be from Enghelab to Azadi, but it literally started at Emam Hossein Sq. (Fooziyeh) and spread all the way to Ekabatan. The number of protesters should be estimated in the millions. They were from every layer of society.

Southern Teheranis, Northern rich kids, Chaadoris, Ghertis, Hizbullahi, young, old, kids, etc. A huge sample of the Iranian nation, with all its diversity, was there, determined to make a change. They feel betrayed and insulted.

Helicopters were flying over our heads to assess the crowd. People would wave at them and whistle and making sure they were seen so that they report their presence to the authorities (or authority).

The radio and TV warned people all day long not to attend, as the rally didn't have the "permission from the Ministry of Interior" and warned of serious consequences if it took place, but no one cared.

Everybody went. The Yegaan vijeh (anti-riot police) first tried to intimidate people as they were gathering, but the immensity of the crowd then made them back up and hide in a nearby police station.

Today, the rally is supposed to be at Meydoon Vali Asr. There are words that the next one will be in front of Sedaa o Sima (National TV station).

Yesterday the rally was calm and peaceful until the crowd started to disperse at the end. Then the Lebaas shakhsi (armed thugs without uniform) and some anti-riot units showed up with more confidence. They started a fire in one corner of Azadi to attract and entrap the most enthusiastic of protesters, then started firing tear gas and shooting.

I didn't see it myself, but I heard that a man was shot in the eye.

Chants were all either conducted against Ahmadinejad or in support of Mousavi. Nothing more "sensitive" than that. It's what I call "smart protest." People are extremely vigilant about what to say... Some chants were a little more "personal" and a bit more offensive to Ahmadinejad.

Mousavi, [former president Muhammad] Khatami, [his brother] Muhammad Reza Khatami, [Teheran Mayor Gholamhossein] Karbaschi, Masjed Jamei, [former vice president Muhammad Ali] Abtahi, [reformist Mahdi] Karoubi all showed up. I missed Mousavi's speech, but Abtahi was just a few meters away from where we were. People cheered them a lot.

Apart from rallies, people cry "Allahu Akbar" every night around 9 p.m. from rooftops and cars (well, it is supposed to be 9 p.m., but Iranians are always late. So they really start around 9:30). There are also sporadic riots and tire-burning in town. Night riots are much more violent. Sa'adat Abad, Shahran, Yousef Abad are some of the hottest corners. Universities are really tense, too. Police and thugs have already stormed dorms a couple of times and seriously wounded students.

As for casualties, all we hear is rumors. I can't confirm any... One thing that I can tell with certainty is that people are really determined. They all say there is no stop to this until they get results...

Girls are extremely active in all these rallies (a little less in night riots where patches of young men are more visible). They courageously charge anti-riot police, chant slogans in front of them, lead the crowd, etc., but they are equally beaten too. The police seem to have no limit in the use of force. They are disproportionately violent. They don't use fire weapons, but they don't go easy on you with their clubs. They literally beat up protesters to death if they don't get rescued by fellow protesters or somehow break away and run.

The level of brutality is exceptional, but it is amazing to see how people stand up to them. I heard from many witnesses that thugs were brought by bus from smaller cities to assist police in the crackdown...

I estimate that more people will show up for today's rally compared to yesterday.

The word is that everyone should wear black with green bracelets or scarfs. The good thing about Vali Asr square is that it is right in "downtown" Teheran. It would be such a show of force by people. The national TV can't just keep ignoring it. (Not one single word of yesterday's rally was reported last night, except a really short footage showing Mir Hossein standing on his car to talk to his "supporters" that "contest" the results. The camera didn't zoom out one bit to show the immensity of the crowd...).

Pray for protesters and for the country. Your support means a lot, as people happily tell each other how Iranians abroad are gathering around embassies to support them. Internet sites are filtered here, so please inform people inside of events and rallies by e-mail if you hear of any. I testify with confidence that this is the most authentic, grassroots and beautiful movement from the people, by the people and for the people. No outside force, no money, no conspiracy is involved.

It's all about people telling each other where to gather next time, pledge to show up and keep their promise. There is a spirit of fraternity, determination, resistance, courage, solidarity and generosity that no words can describe. I thank God to have seen this in my lifetime, and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Source and Link to Posting

Food for thought

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Forget Iran, they get no help from me! They made their filthy bed, let them die in it.

It's a retched place full of retched people, I couldn't have less sympathy for their plight. I can only hope that the protesters are being met with as much tolerance as the people of Iran show on a daily basis.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by maus80

So "they" made their bed by being confined under harsh dictatorial military rule? You are blaming the people for the sins of the government, the same way many speak hate against Americans and citizens of the UK for being responsible for the acts of their out of control governments.

The very idea that you can blame the people for the fools who rule over them is sheer idiocy. It would be like blaming the people of North Korea for living under Kim Jong. Do you realize the difficulty of life under such circumstances?

These people in Iran can be taken away or killed at the drop of a hat just for speaking out. Do you know what it is like to live under such conditions? Perhaps Iran is W- retched as you claim....but is it because the people deserve to live in such anguish?

Those Iranian people are fighting for their right to exist, they are fighting for basic human rights to speech and thought and expression. To condemn an entire people for the acts of a few fundamentalist zealots and rogue politicians would make no sense. It would be like damning all Americans to die because of the actions of the KKK and George W. Bush.

From what I see it appears that the Iranian people have finally had enough and they are taking measures to show the administration just how harshly they disagree with their lies and their brutality. It looks to me like the fundamentalist bullies pushed and now the people are pushing back harder.

For all of you who damn Iranian people and constantly complain about it being such a backward, disfunctional dictatorship, shouldnt you be happy to see the people of Iran stepping up to the plate and trying to make a change? Should they not be commended for risking their lives and trying to change the way they have to live?

Or would that make it difficult for you to keep on portraying them all as evil, backward Muslims?

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Just did it. Join the Tweet Revolution, I did!

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
While I agree with lordtyp0 on most of what he said, I guess I'll take a gamble that these protesters will help bring in a more progressive society when and if they get power. Iran, after all, couldn't be much worse or pose more of a threat to the U.S. and its allies than it does already.

Any change has at least a 50/50 chance of being a change for the better.

So I'm off to tweet this link, as well as change my profile.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join