It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing to offer 777 for tanker?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
found this on flight:

www.flightglobal.com...

down at the bottom:

Bowman says Boeing's 7A7 tanker concept encompasses all of its aircraft models, but his comments singled out the 767 family and the 777-200ER, in particular.

Sharply departing from claims in the previous competition, Bowman says a KC-777 can be developed on a similar timeline and budget as a KC-767.

The 777 option should offer Boeing a size advantage over the smaller A330-200 being proposed by the Northrop Grumman/EADS North America team.

Bowman notes, however, that if the USAF prefers more flexibility, a 767 model could be the best fit

unlike the last 2 tries - when they pitched the 767 , i really think they`ll offer the trip 7 this time. And the comments above seem to copy that

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Well, Boeing has failed twice with the KC-767, so maybe they have taken the hint! Of course, quite alot of the 777 is built outside the USA, so Beoing's emotional "stars and stripes, built-in-the-USA" card may not be as strong this time around (not sure if it was that strong with the 767, mind).

Regards

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I saw a study a few years ago that did talk about the merits of a high / low mix for the tanker fleet.

One factor is that the KC10's are showing their age as well. I doubt they will have the same logevity as the -80 / 707 that the current fleet is built around

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
I saw a study a few years ago that did talk about the merits of a high / low mix for the tanker fleet.

One factor is that the KC10's are showing their age as well. I doubt they will have the same logevity as the -80 / 707 that the current fleet is built around

I would disagree with the high-low mix and aim for complete commonality across the fleet.

Which means the 777 or 330 gets the lot. Sure, someone is going to be pissed, but its a better solution for the air force.

The 777 is a much better option for the USAF, as it will be in production much longer than the 767 and Boeing can provide support alongside civilian/commerical MROs.

For the 767, the USAF was effectively going to have to carry the whole MRO program for the 767 on its own budget... not good.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   
The good news is that the 777F is just coming on stream in numbers - and it has a huge payload -226,000 lb , which compares to 243,000 of the `daddy` the 747F

this is a huge load , as its nearly twice that of the 330;

or another way - the 777 can carry 37 pallets with the 330 @ 23 pallets.

which beggers the question - will airbuis come back with a tanker version of the 380 and say` sod you` to booing

[edit on 19/6/09 by Harlequin]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
which beggers the question - will airbuis come back with a tanker version of the 380 and say` sod you` to booing

It all depends on what kind of footprint the USAF are willing to accept.

Big = 777
Medium = 330
Small = 767 (although if they were after small tankers, a 737 or 320 version might be better due to ongoing support)

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   
tbh if they wanted that big they would have had the 747 tanker which is allready built and flying for iran , years and years ago.

edit:

www.ausairpower.net...

piccie of said tanker

[edit on 19/6/09 by Harlequin]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
From what is being said in the airshow at Le Bourget (Paris) Boeing do indeed intend to put forward the 777 for the tanker bid, seems a bit odd to suddenly jump out and say that though since there is still time before the bidding process for EADS/Northrop to modify their bid.
They could easily increase the A330 MRTT from a 200 to 300 variant and indeed a 340-500 body twin engine variant wouldnt be too hard to imagine, which would be essentially the same size if not bigger than the KC-777.

The real question is whether this is just Boeing grasping at straws, if they need something the size of the A330 then that is what they need, sometimes bigger isnt really better...

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Amazing how long this tanker question keeps on going and going without any progress being made.

Previous contest was like the 3rd try to deside a future tanker?

But the 777 looks good in my books. But a bit more competition might not be bad for the USAF. My bid for the tanker contract would be a Il-96-400 cargo/tanker variant.

And if the USA also needs a light tanker, the Sukhoi SSJ could be a nice contender. Its light and is just as long as a Boeing 737.

top topics

join