It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mo. lawmakers support flag protection amendment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. -- Some Missouri Congress members are again pushing for a constitutional amendment protecting the U.S. flag.

An amendment sponsored by Republican Rep. Jo Ann Emerson and Democratic Rep. Ike Skelton would give Congress the "power to prohibit the physical desecration of the flag."

www.bnd.com...

I heard about this on the radio, but seems no-one has posted about it yet. Reading around the topic, it seems this comes up every few years, someone tries to amend the US constitution to ban flag burning.

I think it's a shame really that some people feel this way, one of the things I really like about the USA is the way your 'freedom of expression' is pretty dang free, even something like flag burning which is going to be pretty offensive to a lot of people is allowed.

Even here in the 51st state (UK) we are allowed to burn our flag, it would be sad if the "home of the free" stopped this.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
It makes me sick as hell to see people burning or desicrating our flag.

That being said, I would also fight like hell for the freedom that allows it.

00.02 + another 00.02

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus
It makes me sick as hell to see people burning or desicrating our flag.

That being said, I would also fight like hell for the freedom that allows it.

00.02 + another 00.02

I agree, I think for my own country, I think people should the right to burn it, but if I think they are doing it for no good reason, then I have the right to call them a moron for doing it.

Here are a couple of quotes I found that I liked.

Americans revere their flag as a symbol of the Nation. Indeed, it is because of that reverence that the amendment is under consideration. Few countries in the world would think of amending their Constitution for the purpose of protecting such a symbol ... If they are destroying a flag that belongs to someone else, that's a prosecutable crime. If it is a flag they own, I really don't want to amend the Constitution to prosecute someone for foolishly desecrating their own property. We should condemn them and pity them instead.

-- Gen. Colin Powell

We do not consecrate the flag by punishing its desecration, for in doing so we dilute the freedom that this cherished emblem represents.

-- Justice William J. Brennan

[edit on 14-6-2009 by jimminycricket]

join