It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US cities may have to be bulldozed in order to survive

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

The only way that can happen is to abandon outlying areas of the city, places were crime is at its worst. Cut the cancer out and let the patient live. These places should be bulldozed. [snip] Napalm them for all I care, the people that live there should have the option to move inward into the areas of the city that are going to be serviced and other than that they are on their own.

So you're saying that all the drug addicts and criminals should have their 'homes' and operations bulldozed so they can move inward and bring their disease into clean areas?

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reading this i can't help but think of a novel by Philip k dick, "the penultimate truth" where the majority of citizens lived in underground bunkers believing that it was unsafe on the surface because of war. when really the elites lived on the surface, and the country looked like a very well manicured park....

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory

Originally posted by jprophet420
reply to post by muzzleflash

the article said abandoned houses for those of us with reading comprehension skills.

Apparently, you need to brush up on your comprehension skills.

The article in particular talks about cities like Flint. They want to implement this bulldozing scheme in Flint. From the article it states:

Unemployment is now approaching 20 per cent and the total population has almost halved to 110,000.

Umm......sounds like there are still 110,000 people still living there with 80% employment. This scheme does NOT just pick individual abandoned houses, it bulldozes entire cities like Flint. So I guess we the taxpayer will have to pay to relocate the remaining 110,000 people.

Yeah apparently I do. I can't comprehend reading anything

Umm......sounds like there are still 110,000 people still living there with 80% employment. This scheme does NOT just pick individual abandoned houses, it bulldozes entire cities like Flint. So I guess we the taxpayer will have to pay to relocate the remaining 110,000 people.

The government looking at expanding a pioneering scheme in Flint, one of the poorest US cities, which involves razing entire districts and returning the land to nature.

Your inference and the articles statement aren't even in the same ball park. There are dozens of districts in Detroit.

Urban renewal (similar to urban regeneration in British English) is a program of land re-development in areas of moderate to high density urban land use. Its modern incarnation began in the late 19th century in developed nations and experienced an intense phase in the late 1940s - under the rubric of reconstruction. The process has had a major impact on many urban landscapes, and has played an important role in the history and demographics of cities around the world, including: Beijing, China, Melbourne, Victoria; Saint John, New Brunswick; Glasgow, Scotland; Boston, Massachusetts; Warsaw; San Francisco, California; Bilbao, Spain, Canary Wharf, in London, and Cardiff Bay in Cardiff.

In 2007, Kildee’s Land Bank program was named winner of the Harvard University/Fannie Mae Foundation Innovations in American Government Award for Affordable Housing, and in 2008 Kildee was the recipient of the Michigan “Excellence in Land Use Leadership Award” by the MSU Land Policy Institute and the Michigan Land Use Funders Network.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jprophet420
Yeah apparently I do. I can't comprehend reading anything

Alrighty then....I'm glad we are in agreement.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by angel7sn
reading this i can't help but think of a novel by Philip k dick, "the penultimate truth" where the majority of citizens lived in underground bunkers believing that it was unsafe on the surface because of war. when really the elites lived on the surface, and the country looked like a very well manicured park....

Man, did that guy write a lot of good movie idea stories.......

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I've been saying this should be done! These old out-of-date cities are harder to maintain than it would be to build a 21st century green city. Mass transportation, no cars, better living conditions, leaves more room for nature and more IN balance with it. Why does everyone at this damn site think so negatively? You're all ready to grab your guns and go shoot someone! I rarely post here because I'm usually never "on the same page" as anyone here.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
No surprise here. The honest truth is that our cities are pathetic. But F obama if he does this. There are other ways to upgrade a city without bulldozing it.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory

US cities may have to be bulldozed in order to survive

www.telegrap h.co.uk

Dozens of US cities may have entire neighbourhoods bulldozed as part of drastic "shrink to survive" proposals being considered by the Obama administration to tackle economic decline.
(visit the link for the full news article)

I'm interested to know where you are getting your information.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
so the Dems partly brought the system down by wanting everyone to own a home,,,,, and yet now we bulldoze good homes and existing, already built neighborhoods when 1000's are homeless

i'm reading a book" how liberal's hurt there own cause" ,,,, boy if written now, this would surely be a chapter

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by grs9769
I've been saying this should be done! These old out-of-date cities are harder to maintain than it would be to build a 21st century green city. Mass transportation, no cars, better living conditions, leaves more room for nature and more IN balance with it. Why does everyone at this damn site think so negatively? You're all ready to grab your guns and go shoot someone! I rarely post here because I'm usually never "on the same page" as anyone here.

I agree. It seems like lately people are especially apocalyptic and it's hard to have anything to say about a subject when you go through and read post after post by the 'right wing nuts', for lack of a better term.

That being said, let the cities contract if they have to. Think of it as cancer in remission. One of the problems with our economy, and society in general, is that people think it has to keep growing and growing.

If there's one thing the universe demands, it's balance.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
It tears at my heart to see America crumbling before my very eyes.... Feeling the effects is no fun either.
Here's a link for your thread: rt.com...

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join