It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We need an Amendment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I think we need an amendment to the US constitution to define what the government can and cannot do within the economy. I mean seriously doesn't anyone think they've gone a bit far, bailing out banks and insurance agencies, and automakers (who by the way are failing anyway).

I think if Henry Ford, or William Durant (the founder of GM) were alive today they would be appalled at whats been happening. It's so sad that Ford is our last hope of an American auto maker being successful. I think our great grandparents (especially those who served in the wars) would think we've become a bunch of softies.

The role of government in the economy has always been a greatly debated question, the Federal Government has the power to regulate interstate commerce, but does it have the right to bail out and loan money to failing companies, outside the government sector?
To me it makes sense that the Government Sector should be entirely separate from the private sector. Basically the Government cannot give money, or bailout companies not under control or within the government. Government money goes to Government programs only. That would be my idea for an amendment, what does everyone else think?

[edit on 29-5-2009 by asmall89]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   
What good would it do? The Constitution is a fragile old piece of paper in a museum. The parchment it's written on is more closely guarded now than the words written on it. At this point in the game, saying we need a Constitutional Amendment to accomplish anything is like saying we need to put signs on our houses that say "Please don't rob us. It's rude."

As for automakers, we're paying the price now for an education system that breeds stupid people: A country where all of the businesses have stupid leadership, stupid inventors, and stupid marketing people.

Let me give you an example: For its 2000 model year - in other words, in 1999, Honda unveiled the S2000, a two-seater convertible car that had a 2.0 liter engine which could produce 240 horsepower. That's without a turbocharger or a supercharger, mind you.

For its 2009 model year - a full decade later - Chevy's Cobalt has a 2.2 liter (10% larger than that Honda motor) that poops out a pitiful 155 horsepower. Now, I understand that one is a sports car and the other is an economy car, but we're also talking about an engine that's a full tenth larger, and this is a full fricking decade later.

For that kind of sheer idiocy, these companies deserve to sink and so does anybody who was dumb enough to cast their lot with them.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   
That's what I'm saying, we need to have a law an amendment in place to protect the people from the government putting money where it shouldn't be. The piece of old paper is the 1776 Constitution, we have added amendments quite a bit since.
I am fully aware of the crap GM has put out these days and they should just be allowed to fail, but they aren't. Yes the education system could be much better, but that is more up to the states than the federal government, oh BTW California wants to cut its education, police force, & release prisoners, instead of cutting its other less important programs and investments.
We need a Federal Amendment describing where the Government can and cannot put Tax Payer money! If not federal, do it at the state level. We put enough pressure on them they will listen.

[edit on 29-5-2009 by asmall89]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   
But what I'm saying is, before we need a new Amendment we need a new government that would actually follow it.

This one would not.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good idea and all, just not until a few hundred Congressmen and one Presidential administration have been shown the door and are out on the streets begging for pee-on civilian jobs from all the people they've effed over through the years.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
New Amendment: Abolish the very outdated current US Constitution and create a whole new one, or better yet don't make a new constitution, why does the U.S need one?, the only thing that constitutions does is give more power to the corrupt.

The U.S Constitution is out-dated and just not right for todays society...

stuff needs to progress..you cannot live in the past all the time (222 years in the past)

222 years old laws and guidelines of living... may as well follow ancient rome laws...

[edit on 29-5-2009 by Next_Heap_With]

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I understand that our leaders aren't holding true to it, the only way around that seems to be kick em out and start fresh with people who will.

Yes parts of the constitution are very different from days society, are you perhaps referring to the 2nd Amendment? They probably didn't see guns becoming what they are now, but to them they saw them as essential for people to have liberty vs the government, and that's still very true. As long as they fear the people they will do what we want (except for now oddly).

The reason why the Constitution is great is because you can change it. If someday we decide we don't like the 2nd Amendment anymore, we can repeal it. There's nothing really outdated about it name 1 amendment that still doesn't apply to today's society.

Maybe the solution isn't to get rid of the old one, but to amend it?

new topics

top topics

join