It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Can Proudly Say I Havn't Watched Television In 5 Years!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
2 years now without TV and I dont miss it in the least.

I agree that there are some informational programs that are worth watching but you can always find them after the fact on the internet if you feel the need.

I think TV is a 'has been' medium anyway and more and more people will give it up. Look at the shows they are producing on there..... its like a bad sci-fi flick where people watch other people's lives (reality tv) instead of paying attention to their own... it's so strange to me. There is something psychologically weird about it.

Just my spare change.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
At least on this forum, you have to think at least. That was the point of reading books and radio years ago, today tv just makes people into zombies. SO depending on what you do on the net it can be bad, and take over your drap life, but i would say it is better than tv.

I *snip* hate adverts, cannot stand the way tv shows are broken down into segments. This the main reasoning i have for not watching tv, then after that the hypnotising effect it has, you can all feel the way your drawn into the tv when watching it. Its like your eyes get locked onto the screen, and i *snip* hate the way your eyes are locked on screen and then ads come up.

Thankfully we have plenty of dvd shows on dvd tv without ads.

Got to say again

I *snip* hate adverts.

I cannot understand how you guys can watch tv with that bull. Especially american tv, how many adverts do you have during a show.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 27-5-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

yeah adverts i agree with you
they are a socialy destroying mind numbing way to make people buy crap that they dont really need or want!

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I haven't had cable for over a year and I guess I can say it feels quite good in two ways, Less spending and No more boring tv! in exception of history channel, food network, and xfiles.

Whenever I do get a peek at cable, it doesn't entertain me.

Overall I am glad I don't bother with television anymore...same goes for theatre films and video games. I'm probably tired of the same ol' stuff.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Free4Ever2

I guess I am the only one who sees the irony of the Goku picture as your avatar?

5 years ago would of put you at 16years old preparing for graduation, and you turned off your TV for good?

I find it possible, but highly improbable. Regardless though, any cessation from TV is a good thing, and however long the true length has been, I applaud.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Television doesn't control or brainwash you.

If you are to weak minded to be able to turn it off after an hour or so to read a book. Then maybe its you that had the problem? Kind of like alcoholism.

I haven't heard of people dying watching television, but I have heard of people dying because they were online to long at one time.

Personally, I have 2 televisions. The one in the family area comes on at 7 and goes off at 9 on most nights. The one in the bedroom stays on 24/7,unless my wife deems me worthy of extra attention. I need background noise to fall asleep.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
For me it's been since 1997 or 1998 since i last watched television. I'm 26 now but at that time i discovered electronica music and club life and by 2000 i became a dj and music kept me busy and awake in the matrix since then, LOL. Also the media here in Brazil is always behind schedule, and i don't have this brazillian particular thang for "novelas" so nothing much useful in TV here anyways, crap i think our TV networks are the worst of the worst in the world, such useless and dumbign sh*t.

Sometimes of course i happen to unluckly see TV when the family is on Breakfast-with-TV mode argh. In one of such ocassions i saw the most terrible thing ever.

There's this guy called Sergio Malandro, back in the early 90's he was a respectable entarteiner, had a show which was adored by all kids in Brazil, mostly his show was about having fun and playing with kids, jokes, clowns, cartoons and all that stuff.

But back to this particular morning when we're having breakfast, we catched a glimpse of this guy on TV and i sayed " Hey stop, wait! Sergio Malandro! this guy's show WAS my childhood! " .. and you know what i saw? He was still presenting his show towards kids.. but with an entirely new focus..

the big atraction of his new show was an 50 years or so old man who was able to "eat" an COIN and an LIVING Bark Gecko (like this one: ipt.olhares.com... ) and extract BOTH out of his nose later....!

seriously... WTF?!

Think i'll just leave it at that...

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by king9072

I guess I am the only one who sees the irony of the Goku picture as your avatar?

5 years ago would of put you at 16years old preparing for graduation, and you turned off your TV for good?

I find it possible, but highly improbable. Regardless though, any cessation from TV is a good thing, and however long the true length has been, I applaud.

lol yeah i understand the irony of the goku picture but i grew up as a young kid watching dragonball z so hence the picture of goku, plus i draw alot of anime. yeah i was sixteen when i turned the television off, i live in scotland and we dont have graduation here! and as for the fact you find it inprobable, is that due to my age?? are you stereotyping me into an age group that you seem to think becuase i was young i must have watched television or that because i am young that i am lying in some way??? Not all us young people are the mindless idiots that older generations seem to think!

i turned the television off at 16 years of age, since then i have formed a band with friends, we have written countless songs, i have painted pictures and written stories. i have hiked into the countryside for days at a time, i have took in nature and embraced my life, i have an amazing relationship with my friends and family.

Please sir do not in your own little way call me a liar!!!

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I for one enjoy my TV!! I bought a new LCD, I have a PS3 and enjoy movies!! I don't watch sitcoms or reality tv, but there is more than than on the thing. I love sports, I love my habs, and that is the only way to watch them!

If you choose to not watch, so be it, and I applaud you for not judging those who still do. I usually set my timer on my tv and fall asleep watching Steward/Colbert every night. Its only as mind numbing as you allow it to be, I dont have any particular show that I HAVE to watch, never have, its all good in moderation. And oddly enough, me and my friend always say kids who watched tv growing up, grew up to be smarter, more independant thinkers. I have a lot of friends who I grew up with that didn't watch much tv as kids and they are all the "American Eagle", mindless drone stereotyped knobs. The ones who did watch tv as a kid love things now like ATS, the discovery channel, good conversation, etc. T

Again, this is just my observation, but its one I stick by.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
If you realize that TV is just entertainment and not the be all and end all of life itself, then it is alright. Balance is the key to a healthy life and you are allowed some entertainment from time to time.

I haven't had cable for a few years now but I still enjoy some shows like The Tudors. Entertaining and still somewhat educating, since I invariably google up the subject matter and learn what really happened.

Now, believing what they say on the News is another story. Propaganda has been a tool of governments since the Empire of Rome, tuned into a fine science by Goebbels, and is even more refined today.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles
I will tell you last month I canceled my Cable because of money issues and I have not felt better in a very long time.

Same here - I live abroad and rarely watch the idiot box (I do love 'Curb Your Enthusiam' though
).

I think there is some comparison with the internet but theres an interesting short film here about the negative effects of prolonged TV viewing on the human brain:

Interesting short film examining the negative effects of TV on the human brain including the induction of alpha wave hypnosis and confusing the fight or flight stimulus into a form of nervous hyperactive neuroses.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
Cheers.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   

That's awesome, dude. You're 21 and you have this perception.
I can only hope more people your age and younger see things the way you are...
I am not being sarcastic at all. I mean what I am saying.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

thank you very much my friend, my parents always blab to people that im not like most people my age or that i wasnt like your normal teenager growing up lol which can be embaressing because all my friends parents started inviting me over and stuff for dinner lol
i guess they did a good job in raising me
thanks again my friend
peace and love

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Sarahko

Christ its so sad that you're in your 40s and so immature. Might this be because of the same idiot box you defend? The OP isn't showing off, he's just here to share his story and maybe get others to follow suit. You think the OP needs this to define himself?? Are you just jealous because you're not happy with your life? You need what you see on soaps? Maybe if you turned off your tv learn more about yourself too. Dont envy the OP for what you can't do and don't be so negative to someone so young.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I just started watching again after about ten years... there are some really sweet science and history channels now and all in HD. Bout all I can take of it but... that and some of the health shows I guess.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I understand what the OP is saying. A few years back I went without TV for about 3 years and there were many changes in my life that happened because of it. The internet is different from TV in that the internet is at least interactive, TV isn't. When you watch TV you are in receptive mode, in open channel so to speak, open to suggestion.

There is a wonderful book that details some of the major cons of having TV in society, and how it has affected us as a human race. It's called "In absence of the sacred" www.scottlondon.com... That book blew me away when I first read it years ago.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Blurringlines

Thank you so much my friend, i will be sure to check this book out, infact ill head down to my local library tommorow and request it if they dont have it there already
if not i shall buy it
its much appreciated my friend
thanks again , peace and love

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
No problem, it's my pleasure. I know for a fact that you will enjoy the book. The author puts a different angle on the subject which causes you to think differently about the effects of TV and certain types of technology in general.

Edit: The author also speaks about the fight and flight trigger like karl 12 said.

[edit on 27-5-2009 by Blurringlines]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Good for you. I still watch an hour a night and I am sorry to say my addiction to football is too great. But you are correct.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I quit watching after 9/11. It's unfortunate that more can't live without that damn box. Congratulations on making an evolved choice. Peace to All.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join