It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate set to bust creation backer as board of ed leader

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Senate set to bust creation backer as board of ed leader

www.chron.com

Senate Democrats say they have more than enough votes to remove Don McLeroy as chairman of the State Board of Education Tuesday when McLeroy’s confirmation reaches the Senate floor.

The Bryan dentist has presided over a contentious 15-member State Board of Education that fought over curriculum standards for science earlier this year and English language arts and reading last year. Critics faulted McLeroy for applying his strong religious beliefs in shaping new science standards. McLeroy believes in creationism and that the Earth is about 6,000 years old.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
It is about time that Texas is able to kick conservative extremists off the State Board of Education. Critics of Evolution will be hard pressed to argue that certain board members did not have an outside religious agenda in mind when trying to water down the science curriculum for the Texas public school system.

The simple fact that McLeroy allowed his religious beliefs to play a prominent role in the the educational standards of millions of school children has crossed a dangerous line regarding the separation of church and state. Hopefully, the Texas public school system will be able to get back to the business of teaching school children science free of unwarranted religious bias.

www.chron.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
What they need to do is present both theories equally, as . . . THEORIES (imagine that) and let the child decide what he wants.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Wow, you know I hate both major parties, but in this case, thank god for the democrats.

To the pig above me: Children can't decide which is true, because children aren't scientists. Also, creationism isn't a valid theory. Thanks for being one of the bad guys

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg
Wow, you know I hate both major parties, but in this case, thank god for the democrats.

To the pig above me: Children can't decide which is true, because children aren't scientists. Also, creationism isn't a valid theory. Thanks for being one of the bad guys

But you are providing them with the information to make an informed choice later on in life.

Obviously you start off small in the early years . . . but it can be expanded on later on.

What makes evolution more of a valid theory than creationism?

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Maria,

The postioning of these religious wackos within such position is no accident but rather a concerted decades long effort by these groups to infiltrate the very education system of the country.

The Rise of the Christian Coalition

“How dare you maintain that those who believe in the Judeo-Christian values are better qualified to govern America than Hindus and Muslims?' My simple answer is, "Yes, they are."

Pat Robertson In His Book “The New World Order”

One of the biggest religious based political groups the Christian Coalition has its roots in the failed 1988 presidential run of Pat Robertson. Using his campaign lists, the coalition was organized to be as the website claims a "nonpartisan political advocacy group". Unspoken in its charter is its true to life mission, which is to serve as a financial and theological bulldozer to drive the Republican Party further and further right. It is well known for its voter guides which are distributed to area churches and can make a difference in close elections. However, with the nomination of Ralph Reed who ran the organization from 1989 to 1997, the Coalition underwent a transformation.

"I want to be invisible. I do guerrilla warfare. I paint my face and travel at night. You don't know its over until you're in a body bag. You don't know until election night."

Ralph Reed, speaking to the Norfolk Virginian-Pilot, 11/9/91

By adopting stealth tactics the Christian Coalition as well as other Religious Right organizations have quietly carried out a campaign to take control of the nation's public education systems. It is estimated that over 2250 or 15% of the school boards are now controlled by supporters of these groups. The backlash is beginning to be felt. As reported here on ATSNN, a judge ordered a Georgia School District to remove “Evolution is a theory” stickers from biology textbooks. This is a perfect example of a School Board operating with an higher agenda.

"We are not coming up against just human beings to beat them in elections. We're going to be coming up against spiritual warfare."

Pat Robertson

The "15 Percent" solution is an apt description of the stealth tactics that have been employed and was outlined in a 1993 article by Greg Goldin. Realizing that a frontal assault was doomed to fail, they actively embarked upon a campaign to elect supporters into any and all positions within the cities, counties, states, and state party machines.

"What the Christian right spends a lot of time doing, is going after obscure party posts. They try to control the party apparatus in each county. We have a lot to fear from these people. They want to set up a theocracy in America"

Marc Wolin, former congressional candidate.

Perhaps more important, however, is that the Religious Right controls 2,250 school boards, approximately 15% of the nation's total. Critics charge that such control has come about through "stealth tactics".

In a stealth campaign, groups such as the Christian Coalition target low-turnout local races and promote their candidates, covering up any organizational ties. The voters are thus presented with a seemingly harmless secular candidate. Once placed in office by the combination of conservative Christian support and widespread voter apathy, the candidate then abruptly and vehemently pushes the agenda of the Religious Right. In this manner, the Coalition and its allies fool the voters into electing candidates based on partial truths.
www.digitas.harvard.edu...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

Well if you want to believe in creationism, and that the earth is 5000 years old, god put dinosaur bones in the earth to test our faith, along with oil deposits, etc, then you're a wacko. But you have the right to believe that. It isn't science, however. There is no valid theory of creationism yet put forth, so keep it in the religion/fantasy class.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxpigxx
But you are providing them with the information to make an informed choice later on in life.

Well then, I certainty trust you're going to include the Stork in your collection of information because it certainly has all the validity of creationism.

What makes evolution more of a valid theory than creationism?

Ummm...Science.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

If you want to believe that you came from a monkey who came from a fish who came from an amoeba, that is your choice.

It holds just as much scientific merit as creationism.

I am an ID person. A happy medium

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

Knock knock Ned Flanders are you in there?

www.dailymotion.com...

Start at 2:30 sec. It sums up pretty much every agrument I get from the creaation types

Hey you want to live in the 14th century by all means but teaching it to children?

[edit on 5/26/09 by FredT]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
To all proponents of religion public funded schools-

YOUR religion does not belong in MY classroom!

MY religion does not belong in YOUR classroom!

Teach it at home, in church, in the car, in your backyard, but it does not belong any place that someone else is paying for unless specifically requested.

Thank you ever so much!

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Or teach children that they are monkey's?

That is so much better

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxpigxx
reply to post by Kaytagg

If you want to believe that you came from a monkey who came from a fish who came from an amoeba, that is your choice.

It holds just as much scientific merit as creationism.

I am an ID person. A happy medium

You are sadly misinformed in this instance, as Intelligent Design is not, and cannot be validated by science in any form or fashion. If anything, ID is nothing more than metaphysical conjecture (that's fancy talk for philosophy).

Hence, any form of creationism (i.e. Intelligent Design) has no place in the science classroom.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
www.trueorigin.org...

I am done. If you can't see other people's views without deriding them, then I can't be in this conversation.

Good day.

[edit on 26/5/2009 by xxpigxx]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

I may be wrong but i dont think a scientific theory is *GoD did it* Kids will love it though a three second science class woot! And you are a great ape pig,you may not like to admit it but your a damned dirty ape!

[edit on 26-5-2009 by Solomons]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

???? I am confused.....

In what way did I deride anyone's religion?????

All I said was I don't want to pay for someone else's religious education.

Get a grip buddy!!!

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

It's not a matter of seeing your views. I understand that you don't want to believe in evolution, that's fine. However, it's not a case of me, or any scientist in the world liking or disliking "creationism." The problem is that the theory is untestable and contradicted by current observation.

There are PLENTY of theories in science that scientists love, but can't teach, because they turn out to be wrong. Here is an example of what a scientific theory looks like: en.wikipedia.org...
Here is your theory: www.trueorigin.org...

Notice any differences?

If we're going to live in a better world, where our children understand the former theory, know how to manipulate the equations, know how to test to see if the theory is right, then we need to drop this silly pseudo-science crap brought about by the religious right.

If you want to dumb them down with mythological stories, be my guest. My kids will learn the former.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Reply to post by Montana

oooooooh you got me there. I guess that's far more crazy than we came from say a rib in the case of my wife

Like I said this type of religious zealotry was all the rage a few centuries ago :shk: Might as well teach humor balancing in medschool

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Reply to post by Montana

Sorry my reply was ment for xxxpigxxx still figuring out the phone

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Yeah open up the Patch Adams institution of medicine.

I can certainly see how the religious zealots have high jacked the public school system this is not the only example.

The teaching of abstinence only in schools is also derived from these people pushing their religion down our throats.

Im all for people praying to their savior, hell if you've found something to believe in that gives you some sort of relief in this cruel world, by all means you are luckier than me.

However, teaching it to my children and attempting to "assimilate" them into the general public is not what school is for. School is for an education and Creationism isn't science, or education, it's a fairy tale. And as much as we'd like to believe the bible is a work of scientific fact, there is far too much evidence that supports the other theory that must not be named.

Mind you I haven't seen any evidence that is concrete enough for me to make up my mind about ID or evolution. The debate will rage until God himself opens up the sky and tells us all in our ear whats going on.

Until then, I'm gonna preach the gospel of I don't know, and the school system should do the same.

~Keeper

top topics

<<   2 >>

join