It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enough with the Sheeple labels!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by moocowman
Yup coz that's what we do in a herd, you tell him bro

I know man.....

*Mooooo*

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

I see nothing wrong with the term sheeple being used.

I refrain from using it as often as I once did, but since I was taught to never be an ignorant and blind-follower, nor like the lemmings who blindly run off a cliff, but stand and be a leader, I see it as fitting if used in the correct context.

I am not calling anyone within this thread a "sheeple", just stating my take on it.

[edit on 26-5-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Don't like the sheeple label because often times it's used as a derogatory term for someone that disagrees with another.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by eldard

Sheeple used to prove a point, but it has become (like most things) watered down and over used.

Anyone who has even the slightest interest in conspiracy theories or alternative topics will know what sheeple means.

It loses it's sting when everyone uses it.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Bravo!

Name calling! That's sooo GLP!! (lol, lets not go there, literally).

Even though the term (''s'') is wearing a little thin, which I think is the purpose of the thread, I would go further and say that people must be better than resorting to referring to others in a belittling manner. Be the change you wish to see!!

Such pettiness gets no-one nowhere fast. Anyone using the term as a marker or flag for future discussion with that person, then, well they are as fickle as using an avatar to gauge beauty of the poster!!

Group think is very much prevalent among CT's as it is non-CT's. The use of segregating name calling, i.e. ''sheeple'', is just one example.

Rise above it!!

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by eldard

Actually that's probably the dumbest logic I've ever heard (and quite contrarian, too.) Anyhoo, term sheeple is not popular. Your average fat and dumb American has probably never even heard of it.

Dude, my MOTHER-IN-LAW has been using "sheeple" for years. Before I started visiting ATS I was already sick to death of hearing it. So, for anyone thinking that using that expression is clever, it isn't! It is so yesterday.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   

I do agree, those terms are pretty annoying. I think troll gets used to much as well. I mean I could see if someone actually is trolling or acting like a sheep/sheeple, ok then they deserve the term, but all of those words get used even when there are very simple disagreements between posters. Also, another one that get's overused and misused is "do your research". People do deserve to be told that, but I see it used when someone starts a thread and presents lots of material for everyone to see, but usually the ones who contribute nothing just dismiss it, say "do your research" but then not contribute anything themselves.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Charis

Thank you, Chadwickus! These are my thoughts as well. I am so sick of people on here calling anyone "sheeple" who disagree with their version of "truth". I come on ATS for rational argument, not name-calling.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I do call a lot of people sheeple, especially the ones who think Obama and big government are the greatest thing since sliced bread. However I try to present TRUTH not just a version or opinion of the truth. And yes when the TRUTH is presented, and someone still disagrees with the truth, yes they are sheep.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by bigshow

What do you mean by "truth" exactly? That sounds really arrogant. Unless you believe you are completely objective and free from prejudices, that you have all the facts, ALL OF THEM, I don't see how you can know what the truth is. What you've got is nothing but your best guess.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   

reply to post by bigshow

What do you mean by "truth" exactly? That sounds really arrogant. Unless you believe you are completely objective and free from prejudices, that you have all the facts, ALL OF THEM, I don't see how you can know what the truth is. What you've got is nothing but your best guess.

Fact... half if not more of what the government is doing is unconstitutional with our country. The constitution is fact... saying otherwise is incorrect. From your statement, if I use 2+2=4, is that not fact? There is much truth out there, along with best guesses. Our great new justice nominee Sotomayor in 2004 said the 2nd amendment is not an absolute right per the constitution. That statement is incorrect as per our constitution we all have the right to bear arms.

edit: And I never stated I have all the facts of life/world. But I do know when I research a subject I gather all the facts.

[edit on 28-5-2009 by bigshow]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by eldard

It loses it's sting when everyone uses it.

Agreed.

Not to mention it just sounds vulgar.

Someone undoubtably thought it clever at the time of it's conception.

("Not Baaaaaaaaad!" their buddies laughed.)

In fact - no matter how wonderful or brilliant the insights, theory or observations may be on the conspiracy issue presented - the second I read the word "sheeple" ...all interest is gone for me.

Same sheep, different herd.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigshow
Fact... half if not more of what the government is doing is unconstitutional with our country. The constitution is fact... saying otherwise is incorrect. From your statement, if I use 2+2=4, is that not fact? There is much truth out there, along with best guesses. Our great new justice nominee Sotomayor in 2004 said the 2nd amendment is not an absolute right per the constitution. That statement is incorrect as per our constitution we all have the right to bear arms.

edit: And I never stated I have all the facts of life/world. But I do know when I research a subject I gather all the facts.

I'm not sure you understand the difference between fact and opinion. If you have a legal degree and are qualified to interpret Constitutional law, I might take your opinion seriously that half the government's actions are unconstitutional. On the other hand, even Supreme Court justices, who (supposedly) are qualified to make those interpretations, can't even agree, so why should I take your word for it?

A fact is saying that the 2nd Amendment says:" ... the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." An opinion, which is one way to interpret the fact(s) might be to say:" Our right to bear arms is an absolute right per the U.S. Constitution." Another opinion might be: "It is not an absolute right guaranteed under the Constitution because it is an Amendment, and Amendments can be repealed--as in the example of the 18th Amendment."

I repeat myself, it is arrogant to assume you have all the facts. In my OPINION, one can never have all the facts. There is always something more to learn.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Hate to say it...but I gtta agree with Charis here

Fact... half if not more of what the government is doing is unconstitutional with our country.

So you have literally studied every single action this current government has done and found that 50% or more of their actions are unconstitutional? That's a statement that causes loss of credibility right there.

Anyway...

Sheeple...a stupid word but remember something Chad

Next time someone uses it think of a few opinions of mine. I bet you'll share them

1. If they have to resort to using words like sheeple, disinfo agent and troll because you disagree with their ideas, they've reached a level of belligerence in their argument and I wouldn't too much more on their opinion (or 'facts' as they say)

2. They are just as bad as the sheeple they claim we are in some cases. You have some of people in this world who will instantly follow darn near every conspiracy that shows up. I would almost wager that I could start some random thing that had a tiny bit of correlation and get at least a few people to agree with it.

They exist of both sides and in every group

Blind Republicans...blind Democrats...

I am venturing a guess that of the tons of people on this forum, roughly 100% has followed some groupthink at least a few times. I know I have, but then I am willing to be honest. Hypocrisy to the rescue!

-Kyo

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigshow

I'm not sure you understand the difference between fact and opinion. If you have a legal degree and are qualified to interpret Constitutional law, I might take your opinion seriously that half the government's actions are unconstitutional. On the other hand, even Supreme Court justices, who (supposedly) are qualified to make those interpretations, can't even agree, so why should I take your word for it?

A fact is saying that the 2nd Amendment says:" ... the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." An opinion, which is one way to interpret the fact(s) might be to say:" Our right to bear arms is an absolute right per the U.S. Constitution." Another opinion might be: "It is not an absolute right guaranteed under the Constitution because it is an Amendment, and Amendments can be repealed--as in the example of the 18th Amendment."

I repeat myself, it is arrogant to assume you have all the facts. In my OPINION, one can never have all the facts. There is always something more to learn.

And once again I never stated I had ALL the facts on the planet earth. And I do learn things new everyday. But there are things that ARE fact and cannot be challenged as there is only one answer. Yes with our great legal mumbo jumbo things are left to interpretation... but there are just as many things that are black and white. But all of what you said is your opinion... you are entitled to it, however it changes nothing regarding my own opinion and experience.

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

Very good post.

You speak the truth.

Another gripe I have to add is when people say someone one has their head in the sand, particularly when they say it here on ATS.

Anyone who is a member of ATS does NOT have their head in the sand, no matter their opinion or stance.

Fortunately this doesn't get thrown around as much (yet)

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
*Baaaaa Baaaaaaa Bleet Bleet Baaaaaa Baaaaaaa*

Baaaaaaaaaaaa Baaa Baaaaa Ba Ba Ba Baaaaaaaaa? Bleet Baaaaaaaaa! Baa Baa Baa! Blaaaa.....Bleet Bleet Bleet Bleet. Baaaaa.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I think Sheeple is a perfectly good name to describe those who throw all reason out the window and blindly believe whatever they see in a youtube video

Although I accept some sheep may find the term derogatory and the Sheep Discrimination Authority have deemed the term extremely offence and sheepish. Sheepist. Whatever ......

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I might be overly biased on this issue.

My parents raise sheep and hybrid goats to train our border collies.

They're actually fascinating animals. Kind, gentle...yeah sure, they get spooked when a "threat" comes into their grazing areas, but then again - don't we all react in some manner of herd mentality at some point?

I still think it's time to broaden the vocabluary a bit.

Bring it up a notch, anyway.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I think sheeple is a great term, it's simply short hand for those masses who have not yet woken, or at least it was when it first began being used. Was it Bill Cooper who began using it. It's certainly in his 1991 text.

I don't think use of this term to describe another member who disagrees with you is accecptable. The very fact that you're on ATS proves your not one of the sleepwalking masses. But as a generalised description of everyone out there who never questions things, who believes what is said on the TV, who's thinking is shallow, I think it fits perfectly. Everone that has woken up will readily understand what you mean when you use the term, even if they've never heard it before. That alone is a good enough reason for the continued use of it.

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Oh my gossshhh I COMPLETELY AGREE! Everytime I hear or see it I get so annoyed. The first few times was okay. But now everyone uses it and it starts to get annoying. Can we please bury the word Sheeple. PLEASE.

<< 1   >>

join