It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama rejects call for Bush-era truth commission

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Obama rejects call for Bush-era truth commission

www.reuters.com

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Barack Obama on Thursday rejected calls, including by some fellow Democrats, for a truth commission to investigate Bush-era terrorism policies, saying nothing would be gained from it.

"I have opposed the creation of such a commission because I believe that our existing democratic institutions are strong enough to deliver accountability. The Congress can review abuses of our values, and there are ongoing inquiries by the Congress into matters like enhanced interrogation techniques," he said in a speech on national security in Washington.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
What a bunch of rhetoric.

Obama talks over and over about his providing "hope". We hear about how he is a president wanting to restore the value of the people.

And then he refuses to do something as simple as comission for the truth. I dont even think anything would come of it. Nothing EVER comes of these commissions. But isnt it quite disheartening that they wont even take that step?

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Right after Obama's speech, Cheney had a speech of his own. It was freak'n amazing and it blew Obama's right out of the water. Cheneys speech made Obama look like an inexperienced school kid playing president.

(and no .. I'm not a Cheney fan .... but Cheney KO'd the Obama speech within minutes of Obama making it).

[edit on 5/21/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
They won't do it because it would probably destroy the Democratic party.

Think about it. The GOP is in shambles, Obama pretty much has a lock on the next election and Congress has a democrat majority. If it became known that a majority of the Dems knew what was happening and they still cried foul to win the election then the repercussions would be disasterous for them.

This is all about trying to keep the ball in their court. As long as they don't mess up politically, they will be in power. That is why they will sever ties with Pelosi. She is damaging their balance. Drawing unwanted attention to the Democrats.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Add yet another lie to Obama's stack of promises - this is a transparent administration huh? Boy, I'd hate to see it when he wants to muddy the waters.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

You guys seem to forget obama his a pawn just like bush, do you think the real handlers would let any information out about anything?

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
This is where if there was a real functioning congress it would be time to call for the impeachment of obama. People would say you cant impeach him for not calling hearing um yes you can. The house speaker's responsiblity in this case would be to do more then form a commission.

This article here is a perfect example of whats wrong with the system today. Normally If I were fileing papers to call for a impeachment here I would first file a rico suit against the entire democratic party for extortion it can be easily proven in this case.

The question becomes what to do about the entire system at this point besides either help it fail or over throw it. This story here is proof beyond any question I dont care if your a democrat or republican this effect you no matter who you are.

It only takes one party getting away with something like this for the other one to do the same thing. I think its time for a full scale lynch mob but who do we start with?

You just cant rubber stamp the last 8 years and pretend bush did nothing wrong. Quite frankly I hope the democratic party does fail along with the republican party too. You republican's are just as much to blame as the democrats if you allowed this to occur.

If nothing legal can get done or filed and nothing can be done as far as impeachment then its time to get bloody and i mean just that. This cannot stand this level of coverup cant be allowed to be gotten away with. Replacing the speaker of the house isnt going to solve anything either.

It's either racketeering charges have to be filed against obama right now or impeachment proceedings have to start. Its that simple.

Falcon

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
HA! Everyone knows a "Bush-era truth commission" would, or definitely SHOULD, be the same as a 9/11 truth commission (REAL investigation). Like the chicken# (by definition) pathocrats will go for that. Sickening as always.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Even if a truth commission did find criminal wrongdoing on the part of Bush, Obama would just end up pardoning him. If the guy was genuinely concerned about accountability, transparency and truth, he wouldn't be a politician.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Why would he agree to something like that?

At the end of the day when all is said and done, they all go to dinner together, laugh at us over drinks and they all high five one another.

They're all in bed together, sort of speaking.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I think it's foolish to expect any help or relief from the government quarter.

Senator Obama was Senator Obama and up to his eyeballs in crimes against the people and constitution as Senator Obama.

I personally read all 124 failed attempts that litter the Library of Congress Senator Obama authored while Senator Obama...anyone who did would have realized he's an empty a suit as an empty suit can come.

He's a pretty boy that reads well from a teleprompter that could tap into 31% of a dissafected, dissenfranchized population heading out of the starting gate.

He was a perfect ace in the hole.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Right after Obama's speech, Cheney had a speech of his own. It was freak'n amazing and it blew Obama's right out of the water. Cheneys speech made Obama look like an inexperienced school kid playing president.

I missed both of them. What did Obama say that made him sound childish? What words of Cheney's addressed the issues better?

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Seriously is anybody surprised?

I bet the guy, if he were not president, is probably fun to be around. Unfortunately he is president, and not a very good one.
Does this guy follow through on anything? So far the only thing Obama supporters can say that he has done to "help" the country was shut down Guantanamo Bay.

Democrats Block Funding To Close Guantanamo

In a major setback for President Obama, Senate Democrats have removed funding to close the Guantanamo Bay detention center in Cuba from the emergency war spending bill. They said no money will be considered until the president sends Congress a detailed plan on where the prison's 240 detainees would go.

Was wondering why nobody had mentioned that one. Went back on his one promise the die hard Obama supporters rally behind him on. The only thing Obama Fanatics ever tell me is that "well, he's closing Guantanamo". As if that were some sort of crowning achievment. Most Americans don't even know that the torture photo's shown in the media were from ABU GHRAIB, not from GUANTANAMO!!! And no, I'm not saying that torture doesn't happen at both it does, it's just that most Americans don't distinguish the 2, just like they don't distinguish Iraq from Afghanistan.

It's really sad.

Maybe this will open people's eyes. Obama didn't get us into this mess, and he won't get us out.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Frankly they both suck.

Obama/GE

Cheney/halliburton

As for the whole guantanamo thing....close it..put them in US prisons/jails and give them a FREAKIN TRIAL.

We have terrorists in prison already, not to mention child molesters and serial killers...but instead it's whaa whaa whaa.

Quit torturing..quit waterboarding. I swear to cripes everyone thinks torture is the only way to get information.

Make me act like I'm drowning and I'll tell you anything you want to hear.

I said this in another post...

Sometimes I feel people oppose Obama just to be against him no matter what the issue is.

Oh...and we did far worse during the Clinton era when we had Egypt do our torturing for us.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I agree with you David, close Gitmo, but the sad thing is ITS NOT CLOSING!!!!

Talk is cheap, actions speak louder than words.

Do we even have to bad mouth this administration? They look like a bunch of goofs. And I'm a liberal but I call it how I see it.

This guy is a garbage president. At least garbage W took 8 years to bring us down. W stabbed America and Obama twisted the knife.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Oh...and we did far worse during the Clinton era when we had Egypt do our torturing for us.

I love that you brought that up. Though I despise Bush, a lot of people don't realize that America has been behind torture for years, long as we had other people doing it for us.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
IS obama part of on an insane mafia group!!! Nothing would be gained from this? This is the exact same statement, al cappone would have made, to cover his butt and his boys..or anyone under investigation trying to remain free. IF this were the case, why investigate murders and arson...apparnetly nothing would be gianed, whats done is done..so much for obiding by the law and doing the descent thing.
Enough accountability in congress? IS he effin nuts? The smae ones having any or holding the acoutnablity ARE the ones running it all now and making OUR laws! IS he on drugs or something?
I remember watching on tv, just before obama was elected..what he said on national across ameria to over 340 million+ tv sets...I promise we are going to persue this and get the the bottom of it all, and this mess. NOw he is simply protecting Bush...
It was said, obama is 33rd cousin to the BUSH's..which would make him royal family. How true his is, i cant say. Well, seems to be true, since he is willing to participate of keeping all this stuff secrets, like JFK..hopeing it all becomes a forggotten memory...but it isnt.. isnt that right obama....those of us with a free mind and the freedom and willingness to persue the truth, and see th guilty ones are persecuted for htier crimes, will eventually GO PUBLIC

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

IS obama part of on an insane mafia group!!!

Since he's a politician, I would say yes, he most certainly is.

why investigate murders and arson...apparnetly nothing would be gianed, whats done is done..so much for obiding by the law and doing the descent thing.

Seriously. The notion that this is about drugging up uselss issues of the past is just ridiculous. This is about JUSTICE.

t was said, obama is 33rd cousin to the BUSH's..

Not sure about this, but I remember him being linked to Cheney's bloodline.

[edit on 21-5-2009 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

(and no .. I'm not a Cheney fan .... but Cheney KO'd the Obama speech within minutes of Obama making it).

I had the exact opposite impression. Cheney looked pathetic and weak. They are not smart on terrorism. 9/11 happened on Bush's watch. They want us to forget that. His speech completely ignored the whole phony WMD BS neo-con job operation angle to remake the middle east into a democracy.

The political reality is against a truth commission. Best let history judge their actions. It won't be kind. A truth commission would only give them air time to rewrite the past and shut down Washington. Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, & Rice will go down in history as one of the least competent administrations in history. It's not like a commission would ever bring them up on charges...Water under the bridge.

Also even if some in Congress knew about the torture, that is far from ordering or implementing it, nothing but a political distraction.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
A real "Truth Commission" would be as dangerous for the Demopublicans as it would be for the Republicrats.

Both parties are corrupt enough to make the Mafia look like boy scouts by comparison (at least the Mafia has a moral code).

Perhaps President Obama would consider the creation of a new Ministry of Truth to be more consistent with his Vision for America™.

(Just my personal opinion, nothing more.)

[edit on 5/21/2009 by Majic]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join