It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spectre of Mass Suicide as Tamil Tigers Face Final Battle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I'm not sure if this will garner any interest on ATS, but here's a bit of news from the major political conflict between the Tamil Tiger rebels and the Sri Lankan government:

news.yahoo.com...

Facing the crushing defeat of their 26-year insurgency as Sri Lankan military closes in on the last sliver of territory under their control, the embattled separatist fighters of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) are not expected to allow themselves to be taken alive. "LTTE terrorists are preparing for a mass suicide after being effectively cut-off of escape routes, both land and sea and now encircled in a mere 3.5 square kilometer [1.4 square miles] of land west of Vellamullivaikkal," the Defence Ministry said on Saturday, citing intercepted communications. "According to defence observers, the LTTE senior ranks are expecting to prolong its imminent defeat resorting to such futile terror tactics using civilian hostages, new recruits and black tigers [suicide cadres] as weapons of mass destruction (WMDs)."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

As their insurgency's end appeared to draw near, the Tigers once appealed for international intervention. "Our people are now at the mercy of the international community and it has to take full responsibility for the future of our people," Selvarasa Pathmanathan, the head of the LTTE's international department said in statement on Saturday. "Encouraged by the hopeful words of President [Barack] Obama, the LTTE is again stating its categorical position to enter a political process facilitated by neutral international parties and find a meaningful solution to the ethnic crisis," he said, referring to the U.S. President's call earlier this week for an end to the fighting that has imperiled tens of thousands of civilians. "An onslaught by the Government will only result in thousands more dying and will not pave a way for a dignified and respectful outcome," he continued. "We are ready to cooperate and work towards peace as Mr Obama has insisted." But the two sides have talked before, and with the military now within hours of destroying the long running insurgency that has cost tens of thousands of lives, the government is unlikely to take up the LTTE's latest offer of dialogue.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The rebels are ostensibly surrounded on all sides. I wonder--is this really the last throe of the Tigers? And does it really matter? I suspect those that make it out alive will find themselves in new rebel groups in time, or a mere revitalisation of the Tigers. The region is as ebullient with anger as it ever was, and a defeat would seem to only inspire others to take up arms against the government. It's a tragic situation for thousands of civilians caught in the midst. Let's hope this soon reaches its terminus.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
The Tamil tigers are one group I have no sympathy for... They, the Tamils already have a long established homeland in the district of Tamil Nadu directly across the strait in extreme southeast India... and this group, the tigers have an especially bloody history on the island.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Not every revolution can end in victory.

This has been going on for almost 30 years.....I can't believe it has taken this long to end the fight!

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Thank you both. Grover, I also find it quite tricky to muster any sympathy for the Tamil Tigers. While I understand their political desires, their disregard for the stability and health of the populace is just unforgivable. While they cry out for international aid to assist refugees of the conflict, they continue launching attacks that prevent aid workers from entering the area. The only victims of this conflict are the unfortunate civilians who want nothing more than to get out of the way of gunfire.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I have to say, mass suicide, what a stupid idea...
For one, maybe its just my mindset, but I cannot see why they would not fight to the death for their cause, as they have been doing for so long, instead of that... maybe they're hoping it would get international attention to their cause but I cant see it accomplishing anything.
Its just senseless. I know I wouldnt go down without a fight.

Im guessing peaceful surrender is not an option for them either because the Gov't troops probably have seen their abuse of civilians

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   
They have actually announced that they are surrendering to the government forces.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
They have actually announced that they are surrendering to the government forces.

Thank you for the update! I was able to find an article about the surrender, for those interested:

english.aljazeera.net...

new topics

top topics

join