It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Craters ! Aren't they supposed to have depth instead of height!?!?!?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I mean, look at the link below. It should open up an image where craters essentialy are extrusion on moons surface instead of intrusions.

What is certain is that the image is not inverted. There are shadows cast the right way...

Any insight????????

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by GEORGETHEGREEK

The light is coming from the right. So the left crater wall is lit up.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
When they landed on the moon they talked about "domes" a lot. Those must be the domes they were referring to.

www.v-j-enterprises.com...

2) Apollo 16: Describing Domes and Tunnels on the Moon:
Duke: We felt it under our feet. It's a soft spot. Firmer. Where we stand, I tell you one thing. If this place had air, it'd sure be beautiful. It's beautiful with or without air. The scenery up on top of Stone Mountain, you'd have to be there to see this to believe it - those domes are incredible!
Mission Control: O.K., could you take a look at that smokey area there and see what you can see on the face?
Duke: Beyond the domes, the structure goes almost into the ravine that I described and one goes to the top. In the northeast wall of the ravine you can't see the delineation. To the northeast there are tunnels, to the north they are dipping east to about 30 degrees.

[edit on 13-5-2009 by ExPostFacto]

[edit on 13-5-2009 by ExPostFacto]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

wow!

can you link some text or audio source?

By the way....

my question is still matched by mystery....

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Ok so i found this site about domes on the moon, it seems its from volcanic activity.

luna.uai.it...

and this one

www.absoluteastronomy.com...

You have to remember that the moon is very old, and it hasnt always been in the state it has. Given high number of meteorite strikes it was bound to have geological activity at some point.

[edit on 13-5-2009 by pazcat]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Sorry, but I don't see anything unusual, the craters are depressions wth a rim. This is from the site you linked, I don't see any deviation from what they describe...

Crater Structure

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

If they are sooooooooo old...... why aren't there craters on top of the extrusions?

link   

strange indeed

possibly mud ball meteors colliding softly with the moon would produce that but who would believe that one? hehe

link   
The domes being referred to are geological features (but this image is of craters, the light is coming from the right):

Lunar domes are gentle swells between 3 and 20 km across, and at most a few hundred meters in height.

www.amlunsoc.org...

When looking at pictures of craters my eyes often play tricks with me, making them appear to be domes. With a little mental effort I can make them switch back and forth.

[edit on 5/13/2009 by Phage]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I know my friend, i know....

This applies to a multitude of things such as illusions flashing lights direction etc etc.

However if you have a close look at this specific picture, ....everything seems as being extrusions....with shadows cast behind, in the perimeter only.....

Fancy!

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
By the way:
I have not embeded the pic since you can magnify in my image link.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Ok then, my guess is the volcanic activity happened after the moon got the majority of it craters, im no expert though. And there probably are examples of them with craters on them. Just saying the domes have been studied before and this is the general consensus, that the dome were created due to volcanic activity. All i was saying is the moon is old, the domes would suggest activity later in its life after it had past through a asteroid belt which in turn stirred up some internal activity on the moon.
Could be talking out of my butt though, it does make sense. All i offer is one solution of probably many.

www.amlunsoc.org...

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   

I'm making it go both ways. Concentrate, think "craters". Think of the light coming from the right. You can do it too!

[edit on 5/13/2009 by Phage]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I have my friend, i have!
Its pretty easy actually, but somehow seing it this way doesn't add up to a realistic image. There are inconsistencies that point the fact of viewing it the way you are suggesting is propably wrong. I do not know if that's a good thing or not...

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

I have heard of this version as well as one that implies that there is/was stuff, rotting below the surface... Organic...

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
My understanding is, and I'm really sorry I cannot find source, is that the meteors or whatever, strike and then the ground beneath the impact rises up.
but mebbe I'm wrong.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by LAUGHING-CAT

As in they are lighter and they float back???

Where's the bubbles?

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I saved the photo and messed with it in windows photo gallery. I rotated it 3 times, starting from the view in the original post. In the OP the picture has a strip along the left side and the craters protrude outward from this orientation. From there, I rotated it 90 degrees, with the strip at the bottom, and the craters appear as normal craters. Another 90 degrees, with the strip on the right and again they appear as normal craters. Another 90 degrees, with the strip on the top and again the craters appear normal. Rotating 90 degrees back to the original orientation, with the strip on the left and the craters appear to protrude outward.

Just an optical illusion.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Let me check that one out.

In the meantime if you feel like it please post the pics.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Hmmm.... are you sure you insist on this "view" ?

Look below is it just me that is not absolutelly convinced or is it my brain dismissing it as "not normal" ?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/6edfce0d96781ac4.jpg[/atsimg]

I guess it might be seen both ways but can never be sure.

Suspicion just isn't enough, nor providing for scientific evidence...

[edit on 13/5/2009 by GEORGETHEGREEK]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join