It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Encourage Citizens To Report People Who Drive Nice Cars

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Apologies for this but at first I could see some vaguely legitimate thinking behind this. People who live in social housing who never seem to be at work but are driving around in flash cars etc.

Then I thought about it again and unless you know the details of every one of your neighbours lives who are you to make a judgement on where they could have got their money from; left it in a will; investments; savings etc etc etc.

This is another case of presumption of guilt until proved innocent. It's a rhetoric that is becoming more and more entwined with the British Police and judicial system.

"He lives in social hosing and drives a nice car = thief or drug dealer"

Un - ****ing - believable.

UK = Nazi Fascist State.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
now that's seriously funny

Who's to decide what I can or cannot afford and whether my bling is real or fake or if my 5 year old car with rims is too nice or not?

hey maybe this will boost your country's economy during these tough times, they'll need to hire quite a few more people to handle the calls and enforce their "no bling during a recession" policy.

these bureaucrats really have nothing better to do with time?
I don't think that's the real jist of the article.

I guy walks into a Mercedes dealership and plops down cash for a $100K automobile....the authorities may want to know more about it.

A guy with no apparent job is dripping with gold jewelry and expensive toys....

The US already has laws in place that you cannot deposit or withdraw more than a certain amount without it being reported to the IRS.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Awesome, I'm originally from Gloucester UK, and I still have family there. I wonder if there's anyone I dislike and I can get in trouble... hmmm.

On topic, this is stupid. In my own circumstances, I'm now unemployed, but I have a heck of a lot in savings. An outside viewer may see me as not working, but I can still afford a lot of fancy things. So I could get in trouble for this?!?!?!

Maybe it is a good idea to call the police on the politicians.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by 4demon

You realize that they can check whether you go the money legally or not?
You CAN'T get in trouble if the money you have is legally acquired.

Edit:
Just because this article is from infowars doesn't mean that there's a conspiracy involved. All you people do is whine about the criminals living good lives and when the authorities come up with a way to find those criminals you take it as some sort of privacy invasion or something..

[edit on 14-5-2009 by DGFenrir]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   
This is a joke, most people here in wales are already poking there noses into other peoples business.But getting the police involved is a waste of time, and once again our tax money.

Me and my partner work DAMN hard to get nice "things" why should i explain myself to a police officer?

Total Idiots.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

OK, now this makes me mad.

People are being "reported" not for committing a crime, but for suspicion of being wealthier than others. WTF?!

I came across an idea proposed by our government/local authority recently, encouraging people to report "suspicious activity", this includes owning more than one mobile phone. This was all part of their anti-terrorism drive.

Seriously, this country is becoming "1984". George Orwell must be spinning in his grave right now.

How about UK police forces use their time fighting crime, instead of chasing people with nice cars, because they were reported for having a nice car?!

Obviously, the Police need more work to do. That'll mean higher taxes...
I see where this is going.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by itsgoingdown
This is a joke, most people here in wales are already poking there noses into other peoples business.But getting the police involved is a waste of time, and once again our tax money.

Me and my partner work DAMN hard to get nice "things" why should i explain myself to a police officer?

Total Idiots.

I agree. I often see many of these police assignments as, like the hall monitor in High Schools when I was a kid. Here in the states, they peek in our cars to make sure we're belted in. The police telling us not to chew gum or run in the halls, or watching people on CTV monitors. How meaningless a job. It's easier to arrest a good citizen than to catch a thief, I guess.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Albertarocks

"So do you know what program they'll institute? Snitch your neighbors out and you'll get a percentage of all proceeds that the gestapo will seize, a percentage of the home they steal, a percentage of the value of the cars in the garage and driveway, a percentage of the boat, a percentage of everything. The bastards are going to try to make it lucrative for the average Joe to turn into a rat."

Awesome! Think of all the nice stuff we'll be able to afford. That'll show everyone else!

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Bah, British Police are useless anyway. I'm living next door to a drug dealer, who I've reported on multiple occasions, and they're just ignoring it and not getting back to me.

I understand that they can't do anything I get money legally, but it seems they don't do anything if money is gained illegally.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Hmm.

Some of you have missed the point.

Its aimed at drug dealers and people who make a profit from crime.

And while its somewhat crass, there is a very valid point to it - whats the 19 year old kid from round the corner in the housing estate that you see collecting benefit cheques doing with a £40,000 Mercedes on the drive, dripping from head to toe in gold and partying every night?

Well chances are - unless his band has just dropped a recording contract or he's dropped the lottery jackpot and he's not had chance to move out yet - he's involved in something very dodgy indeed.

Thats what they are looking at, and it applies the addage that there is no smoke without fire.

Now whether the methodology of the scheme is morally right or not is a different matter, and public opinion of it will be shaped by its overall effectiveness I think.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Yep this is back in the news again (not checked to see when this thread was started - but the idea comes around every so often, like they are pushing a series of semi soft launches on us actually)

Watching a tight T-shirt-wearing, cocksure man wearing a gaudy gold chain round his neck strutting down the street is often worth a phone-call to the fashion police.

But one force is taking the idea a step further and encouraging people to shop Mr T-wannabes to Crimestoppers in a novel - some might say barmy - plan to bring down the crime rate.
linkey poos

Good timing thinking about it, loads of good honest people loosing good jobs, resentment levels will rise and lets face it, if you look long enough and hard enough at some one you will find a way to make them a criminal - just with some people it's easier than with others.

p.s. That's kinda why I have always dressed like a looser and brought 2nd hand vehicles, I never liked being the centre of attention really, way more productive to be known by everyone noticed by no one!

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

I refer you to the first post on this page.

I did not miss the point, I understand and was even thinking, "That's not a bad idea". However, how do you know said 19 year old hasn't been left the money by Great Auntie Beryl who has just dropped off the perch?

I understand what they are trying to achieve but its the guilty until proved innocent notion that I think is dangerous.

He has a nice car and comes from the lower classes so must be involved in something dodgy. IE the onus is immediately on him to prove his innocence rather than the CPS proving his guilt.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Just read this in my local rag.... Made me smile!

The Asset Recovery Team, who initiated the raid, also seized a black Range Rover Vogue with a personalised number plate, a black BMW 3-series convertible, a 50 inch flat screen television with separate speakers, two 32 inch televisions, two laptops, a Wii games console, a Xbox games console, a CCTV system wired up to a hard drive and cameras from near the front door and hallway inside the block of flats.

OK now this guy kinda had it coming, I know this area pretty well, they don't call it Savage road for nothing (seriously that's the name of the road) - I can tell you 100% that that Range Rover would stick out like a sore thumb with a neon sign and dancing girls in that particular area... Sure seeing it once a month would be OK, could be relitives or something, but it being there full time with everyone else driving £500 death traps? Who was he kidding?

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   
You are correct! Everybody is guilty until proven innocent. BTW, here is the official website if it hasn't been posted Too Much Bling Website

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by 4demon
Maybe it is a good idea to call the police on the politicians.

Yeah, I would just mail them the whole list of MPs and Bank CEOs.

If they have a problem with that, add the Police Chief's name to the list.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Nef what happened to you mate, I thought you were a leftie!

Aren't you affronted by the idea that the police are encouraging citizens to grass on people based on nothing but outward looks?

Ten quid says every black man driving a BMW or Merc gets reported to the police...

Even educated people cannot make accurate judgements based on appearances alone. What makes you think that a layman could?

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by 0010110011101

But is it really that difficult to prove them that you inherited the money from your aunt? It's not like they take away your right to prove your innocence..

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Albertarocks

Originally posted by sharps
this is more AJ bull. I'm less than 2 miles from gloucestershire I would have heard about it.

For anyone who has followed the AJ threads over the last couple of days. This is EXACTLY why so many of us see AJ as a fearmongering muppet.

I admit I owe AJ for being a major part in my awakening over ten years ago from being a sheeple, but when your BS meter matures and you do your own research then AJ just becomes entertainment.

When I became a man I put away childish things, Alex is one of those.

C'mon man, be a little more fair than that. Jones has awoken literally millions of people including yourself and myself. He is not a fear mongering muppet. He's the best infowarrior (you probably don't even like that term, but it's accurate) out there.

In all due respect, you'll become a man when you speak for yourself and stop parroting the idiots who claim Jones is "in it for the money", and all other lame reasons to jump on the "bash Jones" bandwagons. He's the real deal and as you yourself admitted, he awakens people to the truth. I'll overlook his rants as long as he keeps informing me with truths... and the story in this thread is another truth.

If he's spouting BS, how do you explain a million cameras in London watching your every move? Why do you think they need to watch every god damned step you take? Who needs this info? Doesn't it creep you out? There are underlying reasons for those cameras despite what they tell you... and they aren't good reasons.

[edit on 13-5-2009 by Albertarocks]

Actually He is an agent of the FBI, etc... I have had strange things happen in my life - and He seems to be familiar looking to me...I would tell u who I am, BUT while others are looking for me in politics, being rich, etc.. I am poor, no job, friendless for a reason - if you want to find me I ain't a rich fool, I may get by with some stuff from the higher ups (I have friends in the Gov. That I never knew I had, I have had Police/Military personal wanting me to graduate HighSchool so bad - but I never knew them, and neither my "Father" really cared about me graduating, etc.., and lastly I couldn't connect the dots until something was removed from my life - where I finally knew who I was, and what was happening, etc..), but I can't get by with everything, and they will screw me over just like the rest of you (me on purpose)....Let us just say this:

Follow my riddles, and you shall find me, I have to riddle, 'cause I can't tell you much directly.... Below you will find yet another riddle...

"Can't save the world without being screwed over by it first."

Oh! I posted on a comment section off one news site (infowars/prisonplanet) who I was, and the comment got removed...., but the link to my blog that is direct seems to be still there...hmmmm -

"Without heeding my warning, you will die, for such a time I shall say no more of what I say today for which my mouth is shut up from the world, and that time is growing short, hence my nickname."

[edit on 14-5-2009 by nowshining]

[edit on 14-5-2009 by nowshining]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I'm too busy to reply to this thread.

As i live too close to a main road.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
HHMM, let me see. there are many ways of actually making money and not paying tax on it. Ways like gambling and stocks and shares.
People see others driving around in flash cars, whats classed as a flash car these days? something new? or something big? something covered in chrome maybe?
And seeing someone covered in bling? whats bling? a lot of gold? a lots of silver? Platinum looks like silver so maybe the the 'undesireable' or the 'criminal' elements should buy platinum jewellry , if they look like they have a lot of silver they won't be looking like they have something to hide?
Just because someone has got a lot on show doesn't mean its been gained through ill gotten means. The 'gold' jewellry could be gold plated and just for show.

All this talk about 'shopping' in someone just because they 'look' like they have got money with no credible means of genuine income, who the heck gives a sh*t these days?..
If someone gets a second income who cares. besides those that make an 'illgotten' gain know how to hide it better than having in plain view.
All this exercise is for is to catch those that make a bit extra so that the taxman and Governments can get a little bite of it. or it'll only catch those that don't know how to hide it better.
Get a grip Government lackeys, and look to your own houses ( including the second houses you have) and maybe you should clean them up first. Set and example and STOP picking on the little man who works a little harder than you.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join