It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new way to thank our members who contribute consistent quality -- no ads!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Unfortunately I create few threads, and the ones I create do not attract many flags.

At this rhythm, I will have to wait some 25 years to reach the 200 flags level.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I despise companies and advertising more than anyone, but I don't feel this is all that necessary.

Advertisements generate revenue for the site, which helps the administrators run all of the features and come up with new ones. All the advertisements do is sit there.

Aside from being a bit annoying at times to look at, are the advertisements really hurting anyone? Is it worth the loss in revenue to remove them? I could be wrong, but these companies won't pay as much for advertisements on ATS when they find out a lot of members have the ability to turn them off.

Also, the "200-200-200" club is a bit generous. I'm only 26 flags away from having that privilege, and I don't think I've contributed enough to deserve it.

No I'm not "sucking up" to the administrators nor am I criticizing the decision or trying to make this some political issue. I'm just sharing my view of it. If it won't cut in to the revenue, I'm perfectly fine with it.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Many thanks for building an excellent site and my first stripe from ATS is greatly appreciated.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Thanks SO!!

I've always been complaining about some ads.

But this is a great idea!!

Thanks!!!!

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

I suppose you remember this, from the T&C.

4b) Ad Blockers: As AboveTopSecret.com is provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the website(s).

We should not do it.

[edit on 10/5/2009 by ArMaP]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I,ve got a few flags to go yet too

Shameless thread bumping and flag begging time methinks

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Maybe we have to start some threads with at least two exclamation points in the title, like "New secret photos from Mars!!" or something like that, with lots of little known Mars photos that have been available for years, or re-posting older threads.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
woot!

this is a great idea

no more cruddy adverts!! ok well they are not all cruddy, i did use one! lol but still some are sooooo annoying

can i give u a star? hehe

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Aspirational.

A unique way to recognise quality - appeal to aspirations.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Well even though I am newer to this site, I personally think it is potentially the best gift a site like this could offer to the people. I also wait impatiently for the day when my "number" is up

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cauch1
Was it really necessary to add the 200 posts clause. I would have thought that someone with 200 stars and flags would have much more than 200 posts. I have over 200 posts and I have only done a couple of threads (which weren't very good anyway).

-Cauch1

Yep it was necassary, imagine this, someone makes three threads, each one gets like 70 flags and stars. And there you go all that with only three posts.

Anyway I wonder if there is a way to find out how many stars you've had?

[edit on 10-5-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

It's on your profile,

you have 2341

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Another recent move on ATS which makes me wonder how badly the credit crunch is hitting ATS - or which piper is calling the tunes around here.

We've recently had injunctions not to be spineless, how to stop being negative, closing the fight club pub and the continuing suspension of the Debate Forum Information thread in case someone dares to wish someone else well.

As well as this the last couple of months has seen a proliferation of the nausea inducing green flashing "click here - you're a winner" banners.

Who's the advertiser you're doing all this to get on board? the 250/250/250 club? In other words a way to get people to spend longer on the board writing threads, etc. etc. Not only will you now have lots of visitors but members lingering longer to get their "reward."

We talk about conspiracies around here - theres one heck of an ATS conspiracy going on here lubricated by a nice quantity of capitalist concern. I'd start a seperate thread but know it would get moved to the new [HOAX] forum - the dustbin for anything that might offend whoever it is imposing all this disapproval on ATS.

Remember "New Coke"? - welcome to "New ATS."

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

WOW, this is great. I want to say thank you to all the staff at ATS for taking the time and effort to reward its more active and contributing members.

So I know I am not alone when I say Thank you!

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

It's listed in your public profile now, your avatar is white and the stars show up in white so just highlight the section with your mouse, right underneath the flag ammount.

Hope it helps.

~Keeper

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Even though I don't post that much and will probably never benefit from this particular reward, it's things like this that make me glad to be a member of ATS.

Thanks!

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Supercertari

Don't sugar coat it.... tell us how you really feel....

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Supercertari

I can't imagine how anyone could translate less/no advertising into that tired old falsehood of "ATS has sold out/is being controlled by advertisers" but I just knew it was coming.

We could give money away and someone would find fault or nefarious motives...

Sheesh.

Springer...

[edit on 5-10-2009 by Springer]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

This is a conspiracy site you know,lol.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Ad Nauseam

Originally posted by ArMaP
At this rhythm, I will have to wait some 25 years to reach the 200 flags level.

Welcome to the club.

On the bright side, at least we're not being denied the valuable opportunity to find out more about teeth whitening, working from home and great deals on pizza.

Yeah, that's the ticket!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join