It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Faster Than The Speed Of Sound: New Control System Has What It Takes To Guide Experimental Aircraft

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   

ScienceDaily (May 4, 2009) — When a jet is flying faster than the speed of sound, one small mistake can tear it apart. And when the jet is so experimental that it must fly unmanned, only a computer control system can pilot it.

Government agencies have been developing faster-than-sound vehicles for decades. The latest supersonic combustion ramjets -- called scramjets -- burn air for fuel, and could one day carry people to space or around the world in a matter of hours.

www.sciencedaily.com...

what do y'all think?faster than the speed of sound?this possible?sounds pretty cool though,sorry if this has been posted before,just read it and thought to share

oh and sorry if its in the wrong forum,move it if necessary ,sorry

[edit on 5-5-2009 by Locke23]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   
The sound barrier was broken in 1947 by Col Chuck Yeager USAF so it is possible.

Sailor

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Yer there was also the concorde that was a commercial jet that flew at double the speed of sound so they're over 30 years behind im afraid

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Interesting read. So it seems Mach 10 is getting closer to reality.
Makes sense that they'd need a computer to control flight at those speeds or at least need one to buffer pilot input to maintain stability of the craft at speed.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Isn't the story here supposed to be about the fact that it is an remote controlled, not piloted, craft which is breaking sound barriers and all that?

My opinion: Military tech. is announced to the public years and years after research, development and relative 'perfection' of the tech. They have had this ability for a long time, I would imagine.

Also, did the OP read the article he posted...where it talked about going over the speed of sound has been happening for decades...before he asked if supersonic travel is possible?

Government agencies have been developing faster-than-sound vehicles for decades. The latest supersonic combustion ramjets -- called scramjets -- burn air for fuel, and could one day carry people to space or around the world in a matter of hours.

Originally posted by Locke23
what do y'all think?faster than the speed of sound?

Seriously, am I missing a point you are trying to get at, or reading it wrong? If english isn't your language, then I apologize.

Anyway, still waiting for my scramjet and my trip out of the atmosphere.

[edit on 5/5/0909 by spines]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by spines

haha no english aint my language ,but I get it
and IM SORRY but I havent heard about this before,thats why i was surprised.......

new topics

top topics

join