It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine flu Here - Confirmed Case from my Neighborhood's Middle School

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
We have a middle school a couple of miles from us. It is where my daughter will go to school in 2 years. It is where all the neighborhood kids go to school, besides my daughter's elementary school.

I just got an automated call from the Superintendant of the Schools here, informing all parents that a child from the middle school has tested positive for the H1N1 (Swine) Flu. They have shut down that one school for the week - but keeping all other schools opened.

Personally, I thought to myself, well good for them. But as far as I know, the kid with it could live around the corner from me, also having shared a bus and classrooms with kids that could have brothers or sisters who are students at my daughters school and have passed something around already, but not confirmed yet.

So, I have without a doubt decided I am not sending my child to school tomorrow. It may seem an over reaction to some. As I see it, since the school is a couple of miles away, then the flu is around here and it most likely has already been spread to more kids who live where we do.

I feel my childs health is more important than those who think this decision or reaction is a little extreme.

I am willing to send her to school, if she keeps a mask on the whole time and has a bottle of purcell alchol gel on her and use it everytime she touches anything. But I don't think that is fesible.

So, go ahead and blast away at me, but now having it this close - makes it all now very real and not something that is just "over there".

[edit on 3-5-2009 by questioningall]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

I would have stopped sending my child a week ago if he was not 24 years old now.
GOOD for you. No chances. Why risk it?

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
As a mother of 3 children...and if in your circumstances.... i would trust my instincts and do the same as you....keep the kids out of school.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   

I don't blame you in the least bit. Regardless of others opinions, the safety of your child has to come first. No compromise there.
What I find interesting about this thread though, is my wife and I got a call from her Grandmother that works in the local school system. She informed us that a local school roughly 30 miles from us had a student that tested positive for H1N1 and that particular school would be canceling school for a week.
It's hard to tell with new cases popping up ever day but I think it is possible we might be so called neighbors

We have a daughter that attends elementary school, and the local buzz is that last week a student in our school was sick with the flu and they were awaiting test results.
Scary stuff when your children are involved.
By the way I Know the name of the school , but in case you don't want your location spread over the internet I'll reserve for a U2U.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by highfreq

I am in East Tennessee, interesting the case numbers are still in the 100 something for the U.S. last time I looked.

BUT if there is a kid there who has it there - where you are - a kid right here from within a couple of miles of me or maybe even next door, then the numbers have to be Much Higher - than they are stating.

It really is funny, how now it is hitting home - it is now becoming "real" - wearing a mask may actually be in the near future for us, instead of just seeing pictures of it and hearing about it.

Makes it completely different - when it hits around home.

[edit on 3-5-2009 by questioningall]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I don't blame you for keeping her home. I would do the same, and meanwhile I am watching closely what is going on here. So far, 2 suspected cases *they say* tested negative. I am in western NC, and just around an hour away from the tri cities and Sevierville, so in my opinion, that warrants some watching too.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   

I agree, regardless of the severity of the virus in America H1N1 can be lethal, and proven deadly....And your right. I believe the cases reported are nothing close to the figures being reported by the MSM.
I live in North East Iowa. There is not much out this way, but farm land and the river. I know most of us(not in a naive fashion) felt that being so far from major metropolitan ares might have a chance of not getting hit like the major cities ect. However it's here now on my doorstep.
Here is a press release from my local news station.

Community Reacts to H1N1 Precautions By Nicole Agee, Anchor/Reporter By KCRG Intern Story Created: May 3, 2009 at 5:09 PM CDT Story Updated: May 3, 2009 at 5:41 PM CDT MARSHALLTOWN - Students in the Marshalltown Community School District will not have school this week because of a surge in probable cases of the H1N1 flu virus. The Marshalltown Medical Center alone has sent 39 new tests to the Centers for Disease Control. Seven tests have come back as probable cases, meaning there's a 99% chance they're positive for the virus. As news of the H1N1 virus continues to spread, more people are showing up at the Marshalltown Medical and Surgical Center to be tested. Now the hospital has elevated to a number two status, which means they've narrowed down the amount of entrances to the hospital and have setup screening tables at each entrance.
Sorce

new topics

top topics

join