It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Raytheon Restarts Prod. of Laser Maverick Missiles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Raytheon Restarts Production of Laser Maverick Missiles

Raytheon is restarting its production line for AGM-65E laser-guided Maverick missiles, and will also upgrade existing stocks, in response to demand from the front lines.

The AGM-65 Maverick was the first general purpose fire-and-forget tactical air-to-ground missile in service with the U.S. Air Force. The Joint Common Missile proposes to replace it, but until then, it remains the default option for jet fighters that need to make precision-guided missile strikes. The AGM-65 rose to its greatest prominence during Desert Storm, when many of TV’s missile-eye views of air strikes came from Mavericks. In truth, it was produced in 3 versions: TV-guided, Imaging Infared (IIR) guided, and laser-guided. Production continues for the TV and IIR variants, but the Marines’ AGM-65E laser-guided version had gone put of production.

While IIR and TV guidance allow precision attacks, laser guidance generally offers the best accuracy of the 3 against ground targets. Likewise, there are circumstances in which a fully-powered missile is a better choice than an unpowered gliding bomb.[/url] extra DIV

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I forget: What happens again when the dude holding the target painter sneezes at the wrong moment?
I guess it is a good thing to have an option that doesn't fully rely on image recognition and to keep the deliberate human component in the loop on what gets nailed. Then again, I guess chances of the laser guidance faulting is probably about the same as the other methods if you include the potential for human error in painting the target.
Anyways, carry on.

join