It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sony Laptop problems

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
The screen has been flickering on and off. Then the computer loses the screen, but may keep running. It will also just shut off abruptly. It did this both on the battery and the AC power supply.

I moved the computer RAM chip to the other slot, and I thought the problem went away. But it started acting weird again. The screen wasn't flickering at first, but the CD drive started acting weird, and not reading the music from a CD, that it had previously read fine. And, the screen started to eventually flicker again, and the same problems occurred.

I opened it up, applied a little compressed air to clean it out, disconnected some things, I wanted to re-seat the processor, but how to do this was a bit of a mystery. It shows a "lock" and "unlock," but everything is so solid, I didn't want to apply too much force. I tried a small screwdriver one time, but ended up putting a tiny dent in he side of of the processor, which I guess didn't hurt it. I pushed around and did some prying on the processor. I seemed to move it out of the slot a little, but I didn't pursue this too much, because it just seemed to be in there too tight.

Anyway, I settled for tapping on the processor a little to hopefully help with any possible connection problems. I put everything back, as it should be, unless I reversed one of the ribbons. Now the machine doesn't want to even power on. No indicator lights are on either. I kind of squeezed the power button ribbon cable between a cover plate and the case, putting it together, but again, I don't know if this really hurt anything, it's a flat cable. Unless the ribbon is very delicate and can't tolerate much, or was already damaged in some way? I did pull on it to try and free it, before deciding to take the plate back off, but I wasn't trying to Hulk Hogan it out, or anything.

Seems like an electrical problem of some sort?

Troy

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Double post (I impatiently pressed reply button twice)

[edit on 22-4-2009 by MCoG1980]

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by cybertroy

experiencing the same fault wit the screen. It did it before too. If its still under warranty or insurance get it sent back, this is the second time it has happend, its already had a new screen under warranty, and needs to go back again. You can get it to work, it just a pain. Flip it all the way back, or all the way forward then back to the middle (Upright position), where you should then get your picture back, if it flickers off just do the same again. Not proffessional advice mind, just what works for me

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   
This one is well out of warranty. It's an older machine. I don't have any power coming through as of now.

Troy

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by cybertroy

The one i'm using is an old one too, it was purchased in 2004, model PCG-9RGM, my partner took cover out on it so it is insured up until october this year. The warranty sorted it first time, but if he hadn't insured t we'd be stuck now.
cost a £1000 too.

Did moving the screen back/forwards help??

[edit on 23-4-2009 by MCoG1980]

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
No, screen moving didn't help. I did get the computer to power back up. It was decided to forgo fixing the computer.

Troy

top topics

join