It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO/Alien Skepticism - Let's get it out in the open

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Revolution-2012

My take is, that until the aliens come down and announce themselves, they haven't been here. I guess I assume that if they were watching us, having flown their spacecraft billions or trillions of miles from distant parts of the galaxy, they'd have the tech to avoid accidental discovery. Furthermore, if they did decide to come here, why NOT reveal themselves? Why "just observe"? That's what doesn't make sense.

That said, I do firmly believe that they're out there - the universe is too big for us to be it in terms of life. Also, they may have contact us already:
chronalmatrix.blogspot.com...
www.twitter.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Shawn Richter

"That said, I do firmly believe that they're out there - the universe is too big for us to be it in terms of life. "

I hope they're out there, and believe they're out there. I don't know if they've been here yet. And considering the long reign of cyanobacteria on this planet it's not impossible that they came, they saw, they shrugged, they left.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Gawdzilla

Totally. The onus will be on us to make enough noise to get someone to come back (even if only to ask us to please be quiet, as they have to work in the morning.)

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shawn Richter
reply to post by Gawdzilla

Totally. The onus will be on us to make enough noise to get someone to come back (even if only to ask us to please be quiet, as they have to work in the morning.)

I find it interesting that David Brin (IIRC) is afraid that aliens will act and humans and he doesn't want us making noise at all.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I'm fascinated by UFOs/Aliens history and lore and have been since my youth. In fact I spend allot of time modeling, illustrating, and writing on the subject matter in personal projects. But I also am a very objective person in how I view things that are presented.

I think a majority of Skeptics are objective people who have clear interests in the subject matter but can call things as they see them. These views are not based on a subjective Belief system.

Are there unexplainable events that occur? Yes.
Are these events undoubtedly the actions of extraterrestrial beings? Hardly.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
The fact is,Believers should not care if skeptics believe(in UFO's) and vise-versa.
It truly comes
down to what you(yourself) believe in.I find that talking about UFO's is very similar
to politics and religion.No matter how hard you debate,you are NOT going to convince
the other party.No matter how hard you try.Ego's, sometimes plays a role in this.
Myself,I not only believe in UFO's but I've witnessed and filmed one.
However, I don't "preach" or try to convince someone to believe what I believe in.
If someone is interested in the subject then I'm glad to chat with them.
If not, then I go on with my day. I feel that so many people get emotionally scarred
if others don't agree or believe in what they believe in.Therefore we continue to
have these ridiculous,silent arguments on this particular subject.Unfortunately,
this will never change but on a good note, it keeps me coming back to ATS!
I would be lying if I said I didn't find these types of threads to be entertaining!
peace to you all,

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gawdzilla

Originally posted by Revolution-2012
reply to post by Batmanatee

Agreed, 100%

I find it unjust, that one can honestly believe countless military, government, ATCs, pilots, etc report these events and everyone of these disbelievers say's it's all a crock, but they call themselves skeptic.

A skeptic asks to be convinced. Still waiting for something convincing.

Please ask yourself if you're a true skeptic or just in denial of the phenomenon? What would constitute 100% proof in your book?

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Nichiren

"Please ask yourself if you're a true skeptic or just in denial of the phenomenon? What would constitute 100% proof in your book?"

"in denial", meaning "why don't you believe what I believe, just because."

If they made a speech at the UN, I might believe in them.

If they appeared everywhere at once, hovering in the sky above the Earth, I might believe in them.

And, to use the same regimen of proof I would use for "God", if they deposited a million dollars in my checking account, I might believe in them.

You are really going at this bass-awkwards, however. The "proof", when/if it comes, will probably surprise us all. Until it appears I doubt.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution-2012

There is a thing called being too skeptical, when countless witnesses report seeing such an event, do you not think that in itself is proof?

Proof of a mass sighting, yes.

Proof of a UFO, probably.

Proof of Extra-terrestrials, No.

If many people see something that comes with no conformation...where is the proof.

If "they" landed in a public place via their craft for all to see and it was confirmed they were from another planet...THAT'S proof because there would be no doubt.

With your explanation above.....Q: has more than one person ever been wrong about the same thing?

[edit on 21/4/2009 by nerbot]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by pluginkid
The fact is,Believers should not care if skeptics believe(in UFO's) and vise-versa.
It truly comes down to what you(yourself) believe in.

Bang on!

Seems some people need the approval of their counterpart to reinforce their own belief of which they are obviously doubtful. A little "victory" if you like.

I suppose the natural human thing is to overcome insecurity by feeling right.

Personal truth is a fine thing, but it's also for the individual.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join