It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Train Explosion in North Korea; 161 Dead & 1300 Injured

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Considering current conditions, questions of Syria hiding WMD's for Iraq, Information from Libyia about who was involved in it's program, Sanction against Syria, and now this. Would people at this point believe any proof or reason to go after Syria? The questions surrounding WMD's in Iraq would surely bring into doubt any evidence given about Syria.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Seekerof-Fascinating and troubling read.

While I have obvious questions, why were they there and what were they transporting? I'm more curious if the train blew due to incompetence or because the Chinese were sending a message. While I'm more inclined to believe that it was incompetence, my hope is that the Chinese did it and are attempting to keep Kim on a short leash.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Further information being released contradicting North Korea's claim that it was an explosion involving 100 tons of TNT:
Ryongchon Explosion Eight Times as Great as North Claims

TOKYO -- Japan's Kyodo News, citing numerous diplomatic sources in Vienna, reported Saturday that the force of April 22's train explosion at the North's Ryonchon Station was about that of an earthquake measuring 3.6 on the Richter scale, which would have required about 800 tons of TNT -- about eight times that officially announced by North Korea.

The North's official Korean Central News Agency had previously reported that the destructive power of the blast was that of 100 tons of dynamite, and explained that the accident was caused by "the electrical contact caused by carelessness during the shunting of wagons loaded with ammonium nitrate fertilizer and tank wagons".

The CTBTO feels that the cause of the explosion may differ from the North's explanation, and noted the explosion might have been caused by highly-explosive materials like military-use fuel going off. Officials at the CTBTO plan to look into the causes of the accident.

The CTBTO said the explosion at Ryongchon was observed using seismological observation stations in Korea, Japan, the United States and Russia. The stations were built to detect nuclear tests.

Seems that in due time, more informed reports are emerging and certainly causing some alarming questions to be asked. North Korea is still thwarting attempts to ascertain the causes and information surrounding the April 22nd train explosion.

seekerof

[Edited on 16-5-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Interesting. I wonder if any trace elements could have been detected in the atmosphere that may contradict the North's story.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I haven't seen any reports of past or current to give a definite answer to that CS. Still keeping my 'eyes' peeled on this.

The information that is currently being reported or 'leaked' is interesting, nonetheless.

seekerof

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 08:39 AM
link   
The Syrian connection popped up on May 7, in a japanese daily publication called Sankei Shinbum, a translation was posted in this thread,
Related ATS Post Post #516546

The paper went on to say, citing the source, "Passengers in the wagon were engineers dispatched from Syria's Scientific Investigation and Research Center(CERS). CERS's goal is promoting science and technology. It is also suspected of a major involvement in the Syria's development of WMD's."

SO it appears that this earlier story is now confirmed by multiple sourcing along with the siesmic data your source has.

[Edited on 17-5-2004 by Phoenix]

Q

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Uh...Syrian scientists....ummm...OK.

No problem, it's believable. After all, we read on a daily basis about all the cutting-edge, high-tech, scientific breakthroughs from Syria, right? And we all know that Middle Eastern governments place such a high value on science anyway...

This story gets better and better.

Like I said, I'd love to know what all of our 'sniffers' picked up from this event. I do certainly advise paying attention to what the Japanese have to say about NK--it is their undisputed #1 military threat!

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I think in hindsight it's well to notice that syria's reactor and some n. korean advisors were popped by the israelis in 2007 in syria .

'Israelis seized nuclear material in Syrian raid'
www.timesonline.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
With initial estimates of

6,350 homes were damaged in the resulting explosion; 1,850 homes and a dozen public buildings and were completely destroyed

and many 1000's killed and/or injured ... sounds to me like the North Koreans accidently detonated one of their own nukes !

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

I was about ready to go
, then I realized it was in 2004.
Weird, I don't remember even hearing about it.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

I remember this, but had no idea about the size of the explosion.

Wow.

one to research.

Elf

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I do wish that next to the thread title there was a little spot with the original post date on them. I saw the thread title and was shocked and with my conspiracy senses tingling was disappointed to find this thread dates back 6 years ago.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join