It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama secretly passing new law to allow searching of PC's, Laptops, and media devices

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   

In extreme secrecy from the public, the Obama administration is hammering out an international copyright treaty with several other countries and the European Union.

Under the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA), governments will get sweeping new powers to search and seize material thought to be in breach of copyright.

Full Article Here

I searched and didn't see this on here ... how is this change? how is this helping the American people? will anything ever truly be private property? i don't know not too much out there on this ... what are your thoughts?

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
ok Obama. Come and get some.

Make sure you knock twice, cause I am a heavy sleeper.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Here is a lovely response to ya (fabricated by W.Bush apologists):

If you have nothing to hide, whats the problem ???

Instead of worrying about illegal influx of people through our "secured" borders they worry about illegal mp3 files on peoples computers, I guess it's just that much more important

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Well of course, the more of us they can label criminals, the more of us they can lock up, prison is a growth industry. You can be a cop or a criminal, not much else these days.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Ill just have to lock out the computer. When they ask to search the puter, they will ask for the password, which will promptly wipe the drive clean.

They can try, but this will not work. People will find ways around this. Hidden computers or memory sticks.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
encrypt your data, for example trueCrypt.

use a online back up and download your data afterwards (with your laptop formatted before you travel.)

you can get a 16GB microSD card that's the size of your small finger nail, easy to hide.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Obama would never do such a thing. This something that is only done by republicans

Obama is no different after all. He is in fact worse. He is slowly and methodically expanding the power of the US govt. to levels that have never been seen before in our short history.

I send my many thanks to all of those who fell for this fool during the campaign.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I suspect it's just yet another way to find "reasons" to confiscate wealth and property?
If "they" can prove you are in some sort of violation,well...there are also already rules in effect to allow seizure.

Another way to find that little something,something,loophole that will allow them to OWN you and make you PAY.

They are beyond-desperate and IMO,turning against their own people in order to further their causes.

I am disgusted beyond belief with the whole tie-wearing bunch of lying thugs.

How did we fall so far so fast...and no,I didn't vote for his Cheshire-Cat smirking butt.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Okay, while I am completely against implimenting ACTA, this article's tone and this thread is misleading by making it seem an 'Obama' act.

Most of the negociations and groundwork was all done throughout the year of 2008, and original expectations of having the final framework of the agreement was supposed to be finished by the end of last year.

So this is hardly some new thing done by 'Obama'.

But that said, ACTA is an outrage and while the current context is SUPPOSED to be counterfit physical items, the language is being expanded to include other sorts of intangible items, under a broader claim of IP rights.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
He wont be happy till he gets our toasters. WTF.

Surely, there is something more important for him to do.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
And another reason I voted for the idiot is because he was going to get rid of the patriot act!!!

he has broken campaign promise after promise after promise...

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
i cant beleive people beleived everything lord obama promised.

are you people that naive???????????

everyone who didnt vote for obama knew what he was all about.

this biggest mistake the us population has ever made was in electing bho.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo67
i cant beleive people beleived everything lord obama promised.

are you people that naive???????????

everyone who didnt vote for obama knew what he was all about.

this biggest mistake the us population has ever made was in electing bho.

Bush's legacy in history ...
Will be Dwarfed by the Insanity of the obama administration.

LMFAO we will be like remember when we had it so good under president Bush.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Copyright is wrong, and so is this law if it comes to be.

But someone will always find a way around it.

HOWEVER this seems something more up Biden's alley, and he probably talked Obama into agreeing to do this.

[edit on 27-3-2009 by sadisticwoman]

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   
This unfortunately doesn't suprise me at all. In all fairness I did do some of my own background checks and indeed much of this act comes from 2008 it appears, which puts it under Bush's watch. However, the secrecy the BHO is going through over all of this does make me suspect and regardless it is his watch now.

My major contention to BHO in the first place was who he has associated with in the past. This tells a lot about somebody. He associated with criminals. Criminals hide things - or do their best to. Criminals lie. Criminals - at least some of them can be very charming as they rob and swindle you blind.

What's sad, is that I started to give BHO a break until about 2 weeks ago. Now he's turning into even worse than I expected him to be back during the campaign. One of the things I gave him a break about and actually gave some praise to him about was the fact that he was attempting to make things more transparent - and he used the whitehouse.gov website to assist in that.

Now to find that no, he is only being transparent with what he wants us to see and the bugger with us on things I am sure he KNOWS that the american people would be upset over.

The funniest thing is that this act if passed, I have no real fear over it. I am actually one of those people who doesn't download music or movies over the internet - except perhaps to watch whats on You Tube. Anyway, my point is that if this law passes, then my computer can be checked for illegal activity.

Checked for illegal activity. BEFORE I have even been accused of a crime. It's not that I have anything to hide. It's that I as an individual am being treated as a criminal when I've done nothing wrong. That concept bothers the hell out of me.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Are you guys kidding me? Doesn't anyone READ threads before replying? Every single reply since mine continued to speak as if this were something from the Obama administration instead of something that started, and for the most part concluded, last year.

Thanks alot for contributing to the thread folks. There's nothing I dislike more than posters who don't even have the time or respect to read the entire thread. You aren't contributing to the conversation when you do that - you're only talking to hear yourself talk.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Jadette

so you're saying that even though they were negotiated in 2008 the new Congress couldn't of turned it down? and Obama didn't have the choice to not push for it's passing?

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by baseball101

Well, first off, this isn't a bill in Congress, so it's sort of a moot point to talk about Congressional approval. Obama hasn't, to my knowledge, pushed, pulled, nudged or otherwise encouraged this treaty negociation.

I suppose it implies his consent that he hasn't recalled the US from the negociation table. But at this point in time, that's all that's going on, the Office of the United States Trade Representative has a member, or members of its agency off somewhere, sitting at a table with other sorts of trade agency reps from other nations, talking about the verbage of a treaty to the ends of preventing fake products from being sold internationally. Sometime during the negociations, the debated verbage expanded to possibly include other sorts of IP infringement.

Now, they haven't even agreed on what to say, let alone, signed off on it. And even if they had, it would still have to go to the various governments for consideration. So Ron Kirk, or someone else from the US agency, would then go to Obama and say, "Hey, look at this, tell me what you think, is this something we want to do?"

I don't know how trade agreements get finalized, does it only take presidental approval? Or does it go before congress? Either way, this ACTA thing isn't there yet.

new topics

top topics

join