It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida: Imported Chinese Drywall has Material that can Emit Corrosive Gas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Source

Strontium sulfide, a material that can emit corrosive gases in moist air, was found at trace levels in testing of Chinese-made drywall, the Florida Department of Health said.

The drywall samples gave off a sulfurous odor when heated, and in at least one case, sulfide gases corroded copper coils in an air conditioner of a Florida home containing Chinese drywall, said the department, which commissioned the study.

But more testing is needed to determine whether strontium sulfide was causing the odor and contributing to the corrosion, the department said. And more tests are required to determine whether the drywall poses a threat to human health -- a process that probably will take at least several months, state toxicologist Dr. David Krause told reporters Monday.

"It's very hard to predict when we'll have the answers [relating to possible health hazards]. ... We're moving as quickly as possible," Krause said.

Homeowners' lawsuits against certain manufacturers and suppliers contend the drywall has caused them to suffer health problems such as headaches and sore throats, and left them facing huge repair expenses. The drywall is alleged to emit sulfur-based gases that smell of rotten eggs and corrode piping and wiring, causing electronics and appliances to fail.

I manage hazardous material and waste for a living and this is some nasty stuff.

Lead in kids toys.
Tainted pet food and baby formula.
Toxic gases in drywall.

Anyone else think the Chinese are trying to slowly kill us off??

[edit on 3/24/2009 by skeptic1]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I believe that bean counters and pen pushers who run companies in china are the ones to blame. They do things as cheap as possible to maximise profits, with no regard for the environment during the manufacturing phase nor the people who use the end product.

I've seen it time and time again. Go take a look at the chinese minibikes/scooters that are being made and shipped around the world. Dangerous, poorly made pieces of rubbish.

But we are also to blame. We want the cheapest, best deal, lowest cost, sale, savings yady yah.
One thing I've taken on board - you pay for what you get....

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by GhostR1der

How is the crap getting into the country? These are literally poisoned products. I doubt very seriously that China has strict quality control, but I would think that the US does have inspectors that inspect imports.

I am probably wrong, but more and more of these poisoned products are getting into our country and most of them seem to be coming in from one place: China.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

In my country (New Zealand) we have one of the most strict border controls in the world in regards to foreign contaminants/pests.
You get fined $200 NZD (about $100-120USD) for simply having an apple in your luggage. We have a fragile ecosystem that can be easily damaged by an outbreak of a pest - we have enough as it is. The various pests established here are already damaging the environment.

Back on topic... even we can't check every container. Even when they are checked for bugs and undeclared items we cannot test each material to make sure it conforms to standards. I am not sure of the standards in your country but I'd be very skeptical of claims that everything bought in must be safe - they simply cannot check everything due to the massive volume.

I'd say that's how it gets in.. it is simply imported and sold. No doubt sold at a very very low price, which should already be raising flags in some peoples minds as to the quality and what is contained inside the product.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...
Strontium sulfide is used as an additive in fireworks because it creates a bright red flame when burnt. It is also used in depilatories and luminous paints.

For all we know, with the information given, it could be in the paint on the dry wall.
Or, if its the actual drywall that contains it, it could have been in the water they used when manufacturing it, or even the glue.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
The Strontium must have a weak hold on the Sulfur.
Used in fireworks.
Must be a common compound in China along with lead,
waste product in mining for more precious metals.
Get rid of the led to the masses and sell silver to big
shots.

Typical Illuminati to put waste or abundant, cheap, material
in commercial products.

new topics

top topics

join